AussieJimbo

MOC: Vehicular Funicular

The Johnstown Inclined Plane is a historic, mechanical landmark in Pennsylvania, USA.

280px-Johnstown_Inclined_Plane.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnstown_Inclined_Plane

"The incline and its two stations connect the city of Johnstown, situated in a valley at the confluence of the Stonycreek and the Little Conemaugh Rivers, to the borough of Westmont on Yoder Hill. The Johnstown Inclined Plane is billed as the "world's steepest vehicular inclined plane", as it is capable of carrying automobiles, in addition to passengers, up or down a slope with a grade of 70.9 percent(~35 degrees). The travel time from one station to the other is 90 seconds."

150px-Johnstown_Inclined_Plane_interior_2.jpg150px-Johnstown_Inclined_Plane_interior.jpg

"The cars are 15 feet 6 inches (4.72 m) wide, 15 feet 2 inches (4.62 m) tall, and 34 feet (10 m) long, and are large enough to carry either 65 people, 6 motorcycles, or an automobile.[7] While the cars are open to the elements, an enclosed seating area containing a bench is situated along the outer side of the incline."

220px-JohnstownIncline.jpg

"The upper station has an observation deck and visitor center / restaurant adjacent to it"

The inclined plane remains in use today, mainly as a tourist attraction, but also as a service to the local community. You can see more photos and details at the operators website.

http://www.inclinedplane.org/

Having discovered this great example of mechanical and railway engineering, I knew I had to see what could be achieved in the Lego world. This presented a number of interesting challenges from designing a hoisting mechanism, building on a radically sloped baseplate and finding some way to support the whole construction and track.

I've still got plenty of work to do. There is no lower station yet. The upper station has a protective shelter for the car but just foundations for the winding house and future cafe or restaurant. The winding machine also needs some doors, grills, dials and controls, etc.

In time I'll also be doing some landscaping beside the track such as retaining walls, path and steps and some areas to sit or have a BBQ. I might also build some small houses or structures on the slope.

Here's what I've achieved so far.

Cars passing mid slope.

vehicular.funicular.cars.passing (Small).jpg

Large

The upper station.

vehicular.funicular.upper.1 (Small).jpg

Large

vehicular.funicular.upper.side (Small).jpg

Large

Loading a vehicle at the upper station. The yellow car will have to wait for the next one.

vehicular.funicular.upper.loading (Small).jpg

Large

Hoisting mechanism. It's uses an M motor, some gearing, a rubber-tired wheel and a length of string. Whilst doing an adequate job, it needs a rework to strengthen/reduce the force on the capstans and fix a problem hauling the cars in the last quarter inch.

vehicular.funicular.mechanism.1 (Small).jpg

Large

vehicular.funicular.mechanism.2 (Small).jpg

Large

IR receiver mounted on a hinge for use as an on/off switch.

vehicular.funicular.receiver.button (Small).jpg

Large

The red car.

vehicular.funicular.red.car (Small).jpg

Large

The green car.

vehicular.funicular.green.car (Small).jpg

Large

The undercarriage.

vehicular.funicular.undercarriage (Small).jpg

Large

With the roof off you can see the space for vehicles and passengers. the passengers have a half stud wide hint of a corridor between the seats and the wall. The partition is offset on jumper plates and uses building panel pieces that leave room for the seat backs.

This leaves a 6.5 wide space for vehicles which is just enough for the current city cars with their wide wheels.

vehicular.funicular.cars.noroof (Small).jpg

Large

vehicular.funicular.bikes (Small).jpg

Large

vehicular.funicular.bare (Small).jpg

Large

vehicular.funicular.partition (Small).jpg

Large

Cars level at the passing section. The Johnstown funicular doesn't need a bowed out section but my cars are wider than the track gauge and I wanted to implement this kind of layout anyway. This shot makes the track look a little worse than it is but gives an indication of the dodgy support structure underpinning everything at the moment.

vehicular.funicular.cars.passing.above (Small).jpg

Large

A view looking up at the station. The underside of the roof is very visible given the high placement of the station, I'll need to tidy it up a bit.

vehicular.funicular.from.under (Small).jpg

Large

Triple hinged folding doors.

vehicular.funicular.upper.door (Small).jpg

Large

Closed up for the night.

vehicular.funicular.upper.closed (Small).jpg

Large

I hope you like it. I've certainly had fun building it. It's not been without it's moments though including near collapses of the whole shooting match and a couple of rebuilds of smashed cars that fell quite a way.

Any suggestions for things to add or improve would be much appreciated.

:classic: :classic:

Edited by AussieJimbo

That 'AJ' is your finest work so far, very clever and totally original ! :excited:

Not much more to add than saying - AWESOME - and Brick On 'AJ' ! :moar:

very good! also considering that I have never seen anything like that made with lego!

this will allow you to connect your layout to an upper shelf where you can put some houses or even a cabin log set, making a very interesting two floors layout!

have a nice lego day

mrBlue

Edited by mrblue

Well done! :thumbup:

I've not only never seen a Lego funicular yet, but also none in real life that can transport cars...

That is ALL amazing! :cry_happy: But my favourite part has got to be the top station, have you ever thought of making a station like that for normal train use? :laugh:

very good! also considering that I have never seen anything like that made with lego!

this will allow you to connect your layout to an upper shelf where you can put some houses or even a cabin log set, making a very interesting two floors layout!

Thanks, mrblue. That would be the ultimate goal. The lower station might connect with a ferry terminal for some train/boat integration. At some stage I'll need to build a proper timber support with all to the angles set accurately which will provide a stable base for further construction.

A log cabin, eh? Despite the embarassing number of log cabin sets I've bought (mostly for my engine shed), this build has almost cleaned out my stock of reddish brown bricks, so now I don't have enough to build one. -laugh-

I love it! Its awesome! I love the car ramps the most though. :classic:

Cheers, FuzzyLB. They line up nicely with a road junction plate but I need to make room up there somehow.

That's lovely!

Very nice job! :thumbup:

Thanks Pazoozoo, glad you like it.

We have a small Funiculi by us at a restaurant and I NEVER thought of redoing it in Lego. GREAT IDEA! Nicely done!

Thanks, Pingles. That little passenger funicular would be a cool project too. You could set up a nice narrow gauge track for it and a simpler winding drum to take up or pay out the cable for a single car rather than having to loop it back for the second one.

Well done! :thumbup:

I've not only never seen a Lego funicular yet, but also none in real life that can transport cars...

Cheers, cimddwc. I hadn't seen a vehicular one either until I read the wiki article. I'd love to give my car a go on it. :-)

That is ALL amazing! :cry_happy: But my favourite part has got to be the top station, have you ever thought of making a station like that for normal train use? :laugh:

Thanks, LMC. Do you mean with a track passing through the building? You'd need to add a platform inside so it could only do a single track as is.

One day I'd love to do a covered mainline station like some I've seen in the UK with a nice Victorian wrought iron and glass roof.

For now I've got to do a bit of brick sorting to see what I can do about a winding house and cafe. It will probably be white with a dark red roof.

I've also been trying out an idea for a retaining wall covered with vegetation which looks like it's working. I'll post some shots of that and some photos of the earlier proof-of-concept stages for the funicular later today.

Edited by AussieJimbo

This is a wonderful masterpiece! :wub:

I've always wanted a funicular in my lego town, but I've ended my efforts to do that due to the complexity of the project. :sing:

The construction looks like the real one, and the use of flex-track is simply perfect! :thumbup:

Well done and thanks for sharing! :sweet:

Thanks very much for that LT12V.

I'm making nice progress on a little line-side park. Building on the slope is challenging but leads to interesting solutions I haven't used before.

That is amazing. Great job.

I like the cars and the station and the background story involved.

I rode a REAL one of those at Lookout Mountain (on the Tennessee/Georgia border).

Time for a quick update.

I've added a small hillside park with a little path heading up towards the station.

There is a BBQ with firewood storage and a picnic table with a view of the funicular and surrounding countryside.

vehicular.funicular.park.1 (Small).jpg

Large

vehicular.funicular.park.2 (Small).jpg

Large

Just the ticket for a nice afternoon with the family.

In Como, the town where I live there is a funicular too ...in this site you can find a video: Como Funicular :thumbup:

Thanks for the link, LT12V. Italy is renowned for it's funiculars, as evidenced by the famous song.

That is amazing. Great job.

I like the cars and the station and the background story involved.

I rode a REAL one of those at Lookout Mountain (on the Tennessee/Georgia border).

Cheers mate. I have a friend from Tennesse. I'll have to check that out when I get around to visiting the US.

Edited by AussieJimbo

This is a wonderful project, I love both the idea and the way you're pulling it off! :thumbup: The inclined baseplates present an interesting building challenge and I like what you're doing to liven up that slope. This is certainly something I'd want to try when I have enough space to set it up! Have you fixed your baseplates to the cardboard or are they just resting on top? If you feel like it I'd really wish for a global view of your setup because it seems to me like one of the biggest hurdles is to provide a solid base for the whole thing. How do you support the incline?

And please do keep updating with your improvements! :sweet:

Thanks Fugazi.

I'm really enjoying the slant building process. My favourite bit of the park is the wall that slopes up the hill and uses cheese slopes to get tiny little steps all the way up. The incline is about 30 degrees so the cheese slopes end up being horizontal faces.

The support "structure" is a real bodge but it's more or less solid if I don't mess with it. The baseplates just rest on a big long box of VHS tapes leaning against the top "shelf" from a table, with props underneath and then a 3 foot long board wedged between the wall and the base of that long box, which is itself propped up by another board so it's the right height off the floor.

Bit tricky to explain but I've put the camera away for the night. I'll get a shot of the setup tomorrow along with pics of another dodgy setup I used during early testing. Longer term I need to build a proper timber support structure.

Edited by AussieJimbo

Thanks for the details! Yes, I guess in the long run a purpose-made timber frame is the way to go. That or a heavy-duty styrofoam board.

I absolutely love funiculars- so much character and charm in so small a space (plus usually a spectacular view). Love the model- really captures the magic.

BTW there is a real funicular railway for sale in the UK- in Bridgnorth, Staffordshire. Absolutely stunningly beautiful- love the 1930's bus-like carriages. Complete with B&B and tea room (how very English!) .

Excellent job on this iconic build 'AJ'. The tram cars and loading bay look great. The park is also coming along very well. I look forward to this build progressing, keep up the great work :classic:

Cheers Legoless and LGG for your great feedback. I'm glad you like it.

Thanks for the video. Those cars look very nice but capturing that curvy look would be tricky to emulate in Lego. Sure it could be done somehow though.

The details of the mechanism are also really useful. One of my planned modifications is to add those little pulleys at the top of the track. I'll have to keep the main drive wheel offset to the side however as I don't think I can fit everything in a low enough profile to keep it under the loading area.

It's a bit precarious to work on at the moment. I'll get up that shot of the setup a bit later today.

There's a whole load of green plates (thick mini base plates from the log cabin sets) that will ultimately be used for landscaping but I'm currently using all of them to support my country train station and platforms on a not quite wide enough shelf so they are unavailable for the moment. :doh:

I've got a few more ideas to work on for the slope but any additional suggestions for slanted scenery would be gladly accepted.

My Lego budget is a bit limited right now but I might grab one of the new Hillside House sets and put it on a real hillside. Call a 5 plate rise a hill? -scoffs- -laugh-

Edited by AussieJimbo

Great job! I was just recently in Barcelona where there were a number of these, so I was pleased to see this MOC. You've done thewhole thing perfectly, and the use of the flex track for the bowed section is tops. First good use of that flexitrack I've seen actually. Very well done there AJ. Will we be seeing you at Brick Expo in August?

Great job! I was just recently in Barcelona where there were a number of these, so I was pleased to see this MOC. You've done thewhole thing perfectly, and the use of the flex track for the bowed section is tops. First good use of that flexitrack I've seen actually. Very well done there AJ. Will we be seeing you at Brick Expo in August?

Thanks, CZ. Much appreciated. I've got a love hate relationship with flextrack. I don't like long lengths off it but in other situations it is invaluable in making layouts fit together and there are cases where the more filled in track bed doesn't look out of place.

Fingers crossed for Brick Expo, I'm a definite maybe. ;-)

This is a very great job, I love how you made the stairs, Keep up the great work!!!

Cheers, CF, I'm glad you like it.

I'm really happy with the stairs too and how they allowed me to transition from the flat to the slant built areas quite smoothly.

Sorry the promised updates haven't been forthcoming, life gets busy. Should have something new up soon.

I've got a nice standard built Hillside House sitting in front of me on the coffee table. I'm slicing it up in my head trying to work out how best to rebuild it on the slope whilst retaining the key design features of the Lego original. I could do a ground up MOC but approaching it as a MOD provides an interesting challenge.