Rate the set  

195 members have voted

1. 1. Vote your opinion

• Poor
    • Below Average
    • Average
    • Above Average
    • Outstanding

Wow, I didn't thought the set would be so poorly received :tongue:, I think it looks really good at this point. The bottom is definitely the weakest aspect of the set but it shouldn't be a problem for me, I plan to display the set in a desk shorter than my legs so nobody would notice it. I also like it because of the sheer size of it, in the video the set looks absolutely massive already and most of the time I end more impressed after the build. Every single person who enters in my "Display" room find the Death Star II amazing and I can tell you it isn't because of the stability and all those thing but because of the impact it creates and I like my UCSs sets to make that impact. Even from this very moment I can assure you all my guests will be in love with this set (And so I will :laugh:). The price was expected in my opinion. It is a big set, it is a Star Wars set, most Star Wars sets are insanely overpriced now. This set and the Podracers will look amazing in the collection :cry_happy:.

You are okay with the idea of scalping? :look:

Is it really scalping if something is available to the general public, at retail pricing, to anyone with a phone or car or internet? Now if someone buys all of them, that's more the definition of scalping.

As for the set, the bottom isn't that big of a deal sincde it won't be displayed upside down.

Whats up with the print quality on the minifigs? Like the head of the droid, with the eyes looking slightly warped, and on an angle.

ssd06.jpg

And the lines on some of the other figs. All jagged. Like the belt on this one:

ssd11.jpg

Is it pre-production or china?

The only place where I am allowed to display my Lego in the house is about 50x50 cm - damn, that's just too small! I would so have displayed a squadron of these... :tongue:

I don't know that I have alot to add beyond the postive/negative stuff that everyone's already pointed out. That being said, when I think about all of the summer wave sets, none of them really excite me that much. When all is said and done, though, I'd probably buy them all. So, on sets that don't do much for me, how much am I going to spend on the summer wave, compared to how much I'd spend on the SSD...? When I think of it that way, spending all that money on the SSD (instead of the summer wave sets) doesn't look so bad. :wacko:

Shame about the flat bottom, but in truth u would have to have it displayed a certain way to notice and it's not as if the real thing had that much curvature. All told, no point complaining about the bottom when 2 ghastly black pylons are welded in there!

Can you see the angle?

Wow, I didn't thought the set would be so poorly received :tongue:,

It's probably not a coincidence that those who most dislike the design are those who know a thing or two about UCS builds...

After seeing the new pictures, the only really big issue worth complaininig about on this set for me is that they did a pretty damn shoddy job on the underside. It's still got quite a few pretty good minifigures, and I'm sure all of our kids will have fun using the incredibly cramped bridge area (with STAMPs, I should add...) to recreate the scene from Empire. Oh, and I can't wait for the video of someone throwing this at 10143!!!

Then who else in the whole Star Wars world is two faced back stabbing eh ? He shows his true colours in ROTS.

I think 'KimT' should put in a poll to judge what everyone thinks about this set. :wink:

Done, vote has been added.

I sure hope the look of those figs aren't representing the overall quality of LEGO's printing right now :sceptic:

Still this is a kick-megablocks set in my opinion and definately gets the max vote from me. :thumbup:

You are okay with the idea of scalping? :look:

Is it scalping when someone sells an item that isn't in production anymore? That's the only way they can make money. Considering I wouldn't have certain sets without scalpers, then yes, I'm happy they're around.

I've never sold a set, but It's comforting to know I could and get most, if not all, my money back.

Let's stick with discussing the SSD and not scalpers/resellers please.

Feel free though to discuss such in the LEGO General News and Discussion Forum if you think we need to.

Hmm, interesting.

Way too large and expensive for my collection, but the minifigures are nice. Dengar in particular stands out.

Also, is that hologram piece Vader is holding the same as the one in the Republic Frigate? :laugh:

After some debate, I voted 'Above Average' since I felt the set deserved better than 'Average' despite its shortcomings.

While first looking at the set I though it was a real disappointment and was too expensive for what it is. However as I look at the set more and more I am liking it more too. The price though is still way too high, for that price I may aswell design and build my own more accurate version. I am going to have to have a good think about whether I want to pay that much for this set.

Take away the useless minifigs (and the small bridge, which is there just to justify their presence) and, bam, there you have a 100€ discount. I have NO doubts they are there only to inflate the price of this ship. They tested the trick with the Lambda and saw that it actually worked, so now they are going for the big shot.

I must admit I'm more disgusted about this feature rather than the flat-bottom.

Take away the useless minifigs (and the small bridge, which is there just to justify their presence) and, bam, there you have a 100€ discount. I have NO doubts they are there only to inflate the price of this ship. They tested the trick with the Lambda and saw that it actually worked, so now they are going for the big shot.

I must admit I'm more disgusted about this feature rather than the flat-bottom.

I dont know if that is accurate about the minifigs making the set $100 more. However I agree with you it is over priced.

I was telling a friend, on Facebook, about this set.

This set boasts 3,152 pieces. Death Star playset is 3,803 pieces, $100 cheaper, and has 24 minifigures and droids. Where this only has 5. I know it is comparing oranges to apples. But it is Lego elements and minifigures. Two of the main criteria for many Lego fans.

This set should have been at most $400.

It is just so beautiful but the price is just to much at the minute. I'm thinking that the detail is more than we have ever seen before in most sets. The new minifigures are nice but I am unsure of Dengar, it just doesn't look right. The set itself is really great though, I wish it was cheaper. :sceptic:

Definitely overpriced, but I’ve decided to buy this one. The detailing on the top & engines looks excellent (although at this price I was hoping that they had added a load of technic LEDS to illuminate them!) :wink: The underside looks awful, and I’m really surprised that they didn’t do a better job. Anio’s version is vastly superior! :wub:

Hmmm, needs moar A-wing kamikaze, but I'll get this just for the figs :drool:

Don't get it for the figs.

Those you can buy of BL with ease.

What's "moar A-wing kamikaze"? :sceptic:

Don't get it for the figs.

Those you can buy of BL with ease.

What's "moar A-wing kamikaze"? :sceptic:

Also, "moar' is an internet slur, in place of more.

Anio’s version is vastly superior! :wub:

Thanks ! :sweet:

I confess I have the same opinion.

I confess I have the same opinion.

:thumbup::laugh:.

Pietts printing looks rubbish.

I voted Above Average because it's OK to look at but I won't get it.

When I first read about the SSD I was really excited.

Believe it or not, I passed on the MF 10179 (should have stored one, stupid me) and the current dead-star, because I could not convince my girlfriend we had display space for them and I really really really need them.

We went to the Lego store to look at them and she described them as being too big, ugly, expensive and grey (my big grey castle is still on display in our living room though :laugh: ).

Even though she is a Star Wars fan herself and I can basically collect all regular SW sets she did not like those UCS sets.

We also watch the CW cartoon together and I'm allowed to collect the regular sets of the CW as well.

For the UCS SSD set I did not need to convince her we needed one, she likes the appearance of the ship in the movies.

Now, that I have been studying the photos over and over again, I am really disappointed with the official UCS set.

Flat ugly un-detailed bottom, big gaps, repetitive greebling, and weird profile compared to the original.

I can live with those imperfections a bit with a regular set, but not with a UCS set.

Personally, I am unsure if I will buy this set now.

The price factors in as well, because I cannot justify buying such an expensive set to my girlfriend, to than scavenge it for parts.

Now, I think, I rather buy parts online and build my own.

Just my two cents.

Kind regards,

Teddy

Anio’s version is vastly superior! :wub:

I agree 100%, Anio's version is vastly superior. :thumbup:

I agree 100%, Anio's version is vastly superior. :thumbup:

And would cost around a zillion dollars if released.

Let's stay realistic here people :laugh:

Also, "moar' is an internet slur, in place of more.

Roger! Roger! and that's probably why I didn't understand - I don't do "internet slurs" nor "leetspeak" :tongue:

And would cost around a zillion dollars if released.

Let's stay realistic here people :laugh:

Hi KimT,

I do not know if I actually want to go into a discussion with you about this, but you tickled me. :wink:

The version of Anio has 4300 parts, of which I guess most parts were spend on greebles.

Further, it has no minifigs.

Given the price setting of the current SSD and SW sets it would cost about 500 Euro as an official set.

If I would get 5000 parts from BL for my own creation, I will probably pay around 500 Euros as well, but than again I can buy them in tranches and its a MOC (easier to justify to my girlfriend :tongue:).

Expensive yes, you are right, but not a zillion dollars either.

Kind regards,

Teddy