• Poor
    • Below Average
    • Average
    • Above Average
    • Outstanding

10221 Super Star Destroyer (Star Wars)

Ages 16+. 3,152 pieces.

US $399.99 CA $499.99 DE 399.99 € UK 349.99 £

The Super Star Destroyer Executor has arrived! This jaw-dropping vessel served as command ship at the Battle of Endor and as the personal flagship of Darth Vader in the classic Star Wars movies. With its classic dagger-shaped design, the Executor is among the largest and most powerful vessels in the Star Wars galaxy. With over 3,000 pieces, measuring nearly 50" (124.5 cm) long and weighing nearly 8 pounds (3.5 kg), every aspect of this fantastic LEGO® Star Wars™ model impresses. Includes 4 minifigures: Darth Vader, Admiral Piett, Dengar, Bossk and IG-88.

• Includes 4 minifigures: Darth Vader, Admiral Piett, Dengar and Bossk!
  • Also includes IG-88 figure!
  • Features over 3,000 pieces!
  • Measures nearly 50 inches (124.5 cm) long and weighs nearly 8 pounds (3.5kg)!
  • Includes display stand and data sheet label!
  • Center section lifts off to reveal command center!

The Super Star Destroyer is on sale from September 1, 2011

ssd01.jpg

ssd02.jpg

ssd03.jpg

ssd12.jpg

ssd14.jpg

ssd04.jpg

ssd05.jpg

ssd06.jpg

ssd07.jpg

ssd08.jpg

ssd11.jpg

ssd13.jpg

ssd15.jpg

ssd16.jpg

ssd17.jpg

ssd09.jpg

ssd10.jpg

More info from the press release:

Darth Vader gets a LEGO® flagship

The 10221 Super Star Destroyer™ Executor is the latest and longest LEGO Exclusive model to join the LEGO Star Wars™ fleet.

BILLUND, Denmark – One of the largest and most powerful vessels in the Star Wars™ universe has been created as a LEGO® Exclusive model. The Super Star Destroyer™ Executor served as command ship at the Battle of Endor and as the personal flagship of Darth Vader.

It is the first time that the classic dagger-shaped design has been produced as an official LEGO model.

"The thing I was trying to accomplish with this model was to get as close as possible to the original, both with angles and the whole profile of the model from the side," says LEGO senior designer Kurt Kristiansen.

His biggest challenge with this model was the sheer size. It is the longest Star Wars model made in LEGO bricks, measuring 124.4 centimetres (50 inches). It consists of 3,152 elements and weighs 3.5kg (8 pounds).

"When I was first given this challenge, my first thought was 'this is going to be a tough one'," he said. He planned the model by dividing it into separate sections before beginning to build at all.

The build also posed a few problems, though: "When you are developing a model, if you change something at one end of, you have to change it all the way down to make it fit. That's a challenge on something this big.

"I think Star Wars fans will love this model because it is the first time ever that the Super Star Destroyer has been made as an official model. The thing that makes this model authentic with the movies is the shape, but also the detail on the top. It is like a small city with streets and alleys."

A section of the top of the model can be removed to show a representation of the command bridge where Darth Vader and the other minifigures can be displayed. The model includes four minifigures: Darth Vader, Admiral Piett, Dengar, Bossk and an extra figure, IG-88.

The Super Star Destroyer is on sale from September 1, 2011 via http://shop.lego.com/ or LEGO Brand Retail Stores. Find your nearest store here: http://stores.lego.com

Movie by the designer:

Eh? whats going on with the topics?

anyway this is a no buy set from me!

Nothing's going on.

We were just posting them simultaneously and one had to go.

This looks great! The minifigs do look nice aswell. But I rather have them not included. And the price is insane. But we allready know it was going to be expensive.

5? *huh* I was estimating around 4 hundred, 4.5 at max!!

I guess I'll just have to look it through a window drooling with desire.. :sceptic:

Oah... that looks nice indeed. Sadly this set shall be limited to my dreams for now... I need to win the lottery.

The model definitely looked better when we just had a very tiny pic.

Haha. _dare_.gif

So, 600 bricks more than the imperial shuttle but £100 more? It's less bricks than the death star but costs much more...

Hmm - anyone else noticed the stats on the sticker are wrong? 250 turbolasers? Perhaps in the 1998 technical guide!

I shouldn't, but I think I will be buying this set. I always wanted the ISD, this is close enough

Shame about the flat bottom, but in truth u would have to have it displayed a certain way to notice and it's not as if the real thing had that much curvature. All told, no point complaining about the bottom when 2 ghastly black pylons are welded in there!

Forget about that price tag, what about the Bricklink prices for Piett.....ouch ! :laugh:

I'll customize a Piett for my collection.

Over 4 feet long eh ? Where on earth will people put one of these in their collection....move house.....divorce the wife ? :devil_laugh:

Forget about that price tag, what about the Bricklink prices for Piett.....ouch ! :laugh:

I'll customize a Piett for my collection.

He isn't hard to make. You'll just need a imerial officer body and cap and snape's face.

Edited by Blackknight112

For that price it should come with a lot more minifigs, at least very least it should have included all the bounty hunters. Where's Boba Fett, 4-LOM and Zuckuss?

Thanks Bonaparte for letting us take a keen peek on this monster! :classic:

At first glance, i am impressed. A huge set for a huge and highly appreciated vehicle in the SW community. Still, it was a bold move to create it. I hope the sales will go well.

Asking myself - i remain undecided yet. Spending so much (price of a whole nice collection) on one single set would be against my ethics on spending my budget. I guess the build will be kind of repetetive and a close look reveals many similarities along the hull. From a little more distance, the greeble works quite well. With the right lighting, this one may be a breathtaking sight in anyone's LEGO lair. :wub:

I like the idea of the bridge and the implementation of it looks good. It does not harm the UCS specialty (we also had the cockpit for the UCS Falcon, which is a pure classic). Some interesting minifigs (except Bossk - i am sad that this little guy in my collection kind of lost his unique appeal), too.

I remain undecided due to the sheer size (where the heck to place it dust free???) and the expected heavy strain on my budget. However, there's a summer until release and some more appetizers of the summer wave i do not yet have. :wink:

Hmm, I'm not entirely sure what to think. Back when the ISD came out I thought they'd never release the SSD, but it's nice to be proven wrong. I think my biggest complaint is that we'll be paying so much for something that could be more accurate and detailed. This looks pretty good, but it still has a lot of flaws. I don't see this looking as impressive on my shelf as the ISD does.

Oh, and I am soooo over stickers being used in these ridiculously expensive sets.

I'm loving the design! But seriously, the command center is so not a feature that should be included in a UCS set (nor the figures, but the MF did it so...)

And its waaaaay over priced. Compared to every single other UCS set, this is the most expensive price/piece by far (not counting the naboo starfighter...come on, it had shiny pieces :tongue:)

I think I'm only getting this if it goes on sale, and I've gotten every single UCS full price. It's about $100 too much. Come on, its all grey :laugh:

Still though, I love the size and pointy-ness and its my favorite ship from Star Wars and I've always wanted it.

At first i was almost jumping through te roof, heck yeah an SSD *does a little dance*

After seeing this, i''m like... meh...

Shame about the flat bottom, but in truth u would have to have it displayed a certain way to notice and it's not as if the real thing had that much curvature. All told, no point complaining about the bottom when 2 ghastly black pylons are welded in there!

Well if you won't i will, it just looks horrible, from a set this big and this pricy i expect a lot more accuracy.

They got the slope right with the ISD hiding the stand connections inside the ship, they could have done that with the SSD too, and do the primary and secondary hangar bays.

They missed alot of detail on the bottom, and that's just a shame.

I think they got the tail end enterily wrong too by the way...

With a model this big, such a small representation of the bridge with Darth and the bounty hunters looks really silly in my honest opinion, a litte bit further up the superstructure, like underneath the tower, and there would have been room enough to leave the figures inside the ship when closing it up.

The figures are really not that intersting with a set like this, it''s about the ship afterall, and IG-88 with one gun sticking out the side looks silly..

Do like the brick with the Emperor's hologram though :grin:

This one went from 'must buy' to 'will buy when it's in a sale bin for 10 Euro's'

Edited by BasOne

Hmm, I'm not entirely sure what to think. Back when the ISD came out I thought they'd never release the SSD, but it's nice to be proven wrong. I think my biggest complaint is that we'll be paying so much for something that could be more accurate and detailed. This looks pretty good, but it still has a lot of flaws. I don't see this looking as impressive on my shelf as the ISD does.

Oh, and I am soooo over stickers being used in these ridiculously expensive sets.

Pretty much agree with all your points. Still an impressive set though. I'll be looking to pick this up, but not at full price. Hopefully I'll be able to catch it on sale whether it be through TLC or some place else.

I really want this, and the Imperial Shuttle, but it's very, very difficult for me to justify buying either of them when I didn't get the UCS Millennium Falcon. That's the ship that really should be the "star" of my collection, and it feels a bit wrong to spend all this money on these ships that are less central to the story and less prominent in the movies (each appearing just two of the three movies), affiliated with the antagonists, less visually interesting and lacking the personality / soul of the Falcon. But I'll be getting the new, non-UCS Falcon, at least...

The idea that people complain about the inclusion of a command center interior and minifigures in this set makes me agog, though. Honestly...

The model definitely looked better when we just had a very tiny pic.

Haha. _dare_.gif

I sadly have to agree with you.

While i like the overall look of the set, the pricetag makes me unable to accept flaws. Come on! they just did the upper part of the ship(s).

Anyway, thank you for the pics.

Edit: Dengar is cool but the printed face of the droid? Really? I prefer the old one.

Edited by Petit-bleu

That is insane. I'm impressed that TLG is even making this, this is clearly geared towards AFOL's. I really don't think I'll be able to afford this one.

The thing that interests me the most about this set is the little 1x1 round brick with the emperor printed on it. And I'm certainly not going to drop $400 on a set, just for that...

It looks cool, but its not for me. I'd much rather have the Death Star.

Steve

We all knew it'd be this expensive, why the surprise? I also don't see anything here that changes someone's mind from a must buy to not going to buy. Nothing here is unexpected.

I hope they have a limited run of this set.

I'll definitely be getting this at some point down the road, but only on sale.

And like somebody said above: WHY STICKERS?! For a set this expensive (over $.12/piece) and AFOL-oriented, those panels need to be printed. :sad:

I hope they have a limited run of this set.

You mean like the first xxxx copies of the Millennium Falcon, with the numbered certificate?

The thing that interests me the most about this set is the little 1x1 round brick with the emperor printed on it. And I'm certainly not going to drop $400 on a set, just for that...

This exact piece is also being included in 7964 Republic Frigate, for those who are interested. :wink: