Adrian86

Gold in the mail today

I got a very nice email after giving them the part pack number. They even told me why they were pearl to begin with in those sets. They're sending me a bunch of chrome coins. Thanks everyone.

Care to share the reasons with us? I'm pretty curious.

Care to share the reasons with us? I'm pretty curious.

Sure. From my email:

The original gold metallic parts that we intended to use for this particular set were not available at the time the set was packed. We had to choose between disappointing LEGO enthusiasts who were expecting to find this product in their local store or delaying the entire launch date for the sets. As we were able to find an alternate piece which didn’t affect the appearance or performance of this set, the decision was made to produce Isla de Muerta™, set 4181, with the substitute coins and bars.  I think the confusion came into play with the mention of the chrome parts, as the parts we have are a metallic gold and we consider LEGO chrome parts to be a metallic silver color.

Sure. From my email:

I find it amusing that AFOL color names confuse TLG as much as TLG's color names confuse many AFOLS! :laugh:

But anyway, I'm glad to see confirmation that TLG did, in fact, intend to make the parts in Metalized Gold in the first place, since that helps explain why the parts seem designed for Metalized Gold and look so low-quality in Warm Gold. Here's hoping that future sets using these molds will use Metalized Gold from the get-go.

It is kind of odd that they didn't have the material available at all to make the parts in the correct color. You don't think of a major company like TLG having a materials shortage. Maybe it has something to do with where the coins and gold bars are produced? If they're made in China, then they'd probably be the Chinese plant's first-ever chrome parts. Or, it could have just been a matter of them being made in one of the older facilities and a shipment the material being delayed, making it so TLG couldn't restock on it in time to fill a full production run of new sets.

Whatever the case, it's good to see that it seems to have been a temporary issue, given that the parts now exist in the proper color for Customer Service to distribute to dissatisfied customers.

I got a very nice email after giving them the part pack number. They even told me why they were pearl to begin with in those sets. They're sending me a bunch of chrome coins. Thanks everyone.

I got my prepacks a day or two ago. They're tiny plastic baggies with one gold bar and a few gold coins, all chrome gold. Thanks for the help, everyone.

(Wow this thread started on May 12. I procrastinated on this way too long!)

I got my prepacks a day or two ago. They're tiny plastic baggies with one gold bar and a few gold coins, all chrome gold. Thanks for the help, everyone.

(Wow this thread started on May 12. I procrastinated on this way too long!)

Yes, by now all new production sets should have the shiny gold, but thank LEGO for their kick megablocks customer service, I have all shiny gold and the dull stuff. I'm keeping all of it. :pir-vader:

Yes, by now all new production sets should have the shiny gold, but thank LEGO for their kick megablocks customer service

Forgive me if this has already been addressed (or is blatantly obvious), but is there a way to tell new production sets from old?

I just bought a London Escape from my local WalMart and received the pearl gold coins. I was able to work with the very helpful Lego Customer Service to have it corrected, but I was thinking it would be nice to pick the newer sets right from the start to avoid this extra effort.

Thanks!

Forgive me if this has already been addressed (or is blatantly obvious), but is there a way to tell new production sets from old?

I just bought a London Escape from my local WalMart and received the pearl gold coins. I was able to work with the very helpful Lego Customer Service to have it corrected, but I was thinking it would be nice to pick the newer sets right from the start to avoid this extra effort.

Thanks!

I don't believe so, LEGO sets don't have production dates on them, so most of us had just assumed that anything at this point would be the new stuff. That's disappointing to hear. Well a phone call to TLG should get you some shiny gold. I'm guessing your Wal-Mart had some really old stock, or they received older stock from another warehouse.

Thanks!

I don't know if the production number on the box would be of help. I'm not sure if that's the 'batch number', or the production facility number...even if it WAS the batch number, you'd still have to figure out which is the new batch and which is the old. Not terribly helpful. I'm guessing that your best bet is just to buy it and then deal with the awesome folks at customer service, if there are any problems.

It's good to know that I'm not the only one who's put off getting the parts. I finally got mine last week and they look great! Thanks LEGO!

I have multiple sets waiting come Christmas time, so I won't even know if I need to talk to customer service for another few months. I'm sure they will still be able to help, they might find it odd since they corrected the issue and would still be receiving phone calls, they might think it is a scam!

I have multiple sets waiting come Christmas time, so I won't even know if I need to talk to customer service for another few months. I'm sure they will still be able to help, they might find it odd since they corrected the issue and would still be receiving phone calls, they might think it is a scam!

I'm sure there will eventually be a date they stop honoring this, do I'd call as soon as you know you need replacement parts.

I doubt it. Now that they know there was an issue, they'll probably be very understanding-- even more so than early on when the issue was occurring, since at that point some customer service representatives didn't even seem to know the parts had been produced in colors other than Warm Gold. It's not like customer service would be foolish enough to assume that all sets on store shelves will be from the most recent production run of those sets.

In other words, you should be perfectly OK asking for replacement parts if it turns out you got the wrong ones.

Big Cam and Aanchir thank you for the input. I will get it figured out when the time comes.

A set I bought had 2 of the old style coins-on-a-sprue, which is fine, but I'd like a gold bar. Hopefully they'll send me the right stuff.

A set I bought had 2 of the old style coins-on-a-sprue, which is fine, but I'd like a gold bar. Hopefully they'll send me the right stuff.

Which set was it? Also it was the old style shiny gold? That's the first I've heard of that.

Which set was it? Also it was the old style shiny gold? That's the first I've heard of that.

Weird, I know.

Whitecap Bay... 2 sprues of (if I recall correctly) the original gold that came in sets from the late 80s onwards in Pirate & Castle sets. Definitely the shiny metallic stuff, definitely on a sprue, pretty sure it was the 10 20 30 40 one side, LEGO the other coins. According to the instruction booklet inventory, the set should've contained 1x pack of bar+coins (metallic or otherwise). According to the missing parts form on Lego.com there are no coins or gold at all in this set.

I can check my set later, but I'm pretty sure there is supposed to be gold, they must of used those as a temp replacement. Very odd.

You pirates are animals for chrome gold parts! Wow. Well, Does the BP come with chrome? I am wondering, because I am planning on getting it to start my lego pirate collection, due to the disappointing sets they had in the latest LEGO Pirates line. :pir-vader::jollyroger:

You pirates are animals for chrome gold parts! Wow. Well, Does the BP come with chrome? I am wondering, because I am planning on getting it to start my lego pirate collection, due to the disappointing sets they had in the latest LEGO Pirates line. :pir-vader::jollyroger:

I don't have this set yet, but according to bricklink there is no gold in this set at all.

All the PotC sets that have gold in them should have the new shiny chrome, unless it's really old stock.

I called TLC for 3 bags of lego gold, because they actually gave me the wrong.

Now I received three bags of normal coins with no goldbar, they keep saying they dont produce these.

What to do now ?

I got shiny gold in medieval market village but not in black pearl.

The fact that lego said they no longer produce the shiny gold probably means no more MMV will be produced and they are still selling the leftovers? At my lego store there is still a small mountain of MMVs on the shelf.

I called TLC for 3 bags of lego gold, because they actually gave me the wrong.

Now I received three bags of normal coins with no goldbar, they keep saying they dont produce these.

What to do now ?

All you can do is refer them to the part pack number.

Weird, I know.

Whitecap Bay... 2 sprues of (if I recall correctly) the original gold that came in sets from the late 80s onwards in Pirate & Castle sets. Definitely the shiny metallic stuff, definitely on a sprue, pretty sure it was the 10 20 30 40 one side, LEGO the other coins. According to the instruction booklet inventory, the set should've contained 1x pack of bar+coins (metallic or otherwise). According to the missing parts form on Lego.com there are no coins or gold at all in this set.

I received a couple of emails informing me that the correct parts are on their way, I will have to wait and see what arrives. I bought another of the same set last night from a different retailer and (because when it comes to Lego I have no patience) I just had to open the box to see what gold was in this one. Normal. Shiny bar + 1, 2, 5 & 10 shiny coins. Curious.

I received a couple of emails informing me that the correct parts are on their way, I will have to wait and see what arrives. I bought another of the same set last night from a different retailer and (because when it comes to Lego I have no patience) I just had to open the box to see what gold was in this one. Normal. Shiny bar + 1, 2, 5 & 10 shiny coins. Curious.

The first time you probably just got a set from an earlier production run, before they had fixed the issue with the gold parts. The latest one you got was one of the more recently-produced sets.