HELP! My building is ugly :grin:

b31-3.jpg

The shape is done, but the color is just awful. I tried to make a good light grey building color, but it just screams blahhhh

b31-2.jpgb31-1.jpg

I need the base color to still be light grey, since that's the only color building I don't have prominently in the city, but any style or mix of colors for the rest can do. ANYTHING is better than what I made. As long as its "realistic looking" :laugh:

Here's the LXF

WARNING: its 11,000 pieces (it is my build after all :sweet: )

Please help! Any ideas are super appreciated!!!!!!!

I opened your LDD .lxf file, and saw your green accents between the windows. Those highlights are good, but the green band around the center of your curved building looks a bit odd. Green building colors against a grey city landscape (or a blue sky) don't look that good. Recommend a beige building with Bluish-Grey or Light Blue accents, like these have:

high_rise1L.jpg35063296_2.jpgipark+Nikunjam.jpg

Edited by DLuders

I too like the beige color theme, but since you want to hang with the gray try reversing the highlight white with the gray of the "front" (rounded portion) maintaining the gray of the top bottom and "back". It lightens the look quite a bit, however, the white of LDD, at least on my monitor, isn't white white but rather egg-shelly. The green band I changed to beige and all in all it's pretty nice looking though considerably lighter in tone. Great building and I think the lighter tones will work in a city scape.

I also tried a sort of checker board effect maintaining the outside 1x6 gray brick grey and reversing the rest as described above. This gives it a more dark feel while maintaining the light tone and increasing the visual interest. Anyway some ideas there.

Thanks guys! I did some recoloring with some of those suggestions (though I can't make the building beige since this is the second largest building, and the largest is already beige...and right next to it).

I'm still stuck and I wish I could make a poll :tongue:

numbered 1-11, which one looks the best? :laugh:

building-31-colors.jpg

building-31-colors2.jpg

Sorry in advance for the picture sizes. Its really hard to get a good idea of what the colors look like with any smaller size.

(by the way, no, I did not have all those running in one LDD. Who do you think I am? :grin:)

At the risk of sounding stupid, what are the differences between #9 and #10? I like those the best.

At the risk of sounding stupid, what are the differences between #9 and #10? I like those the best.

The stripes on the most left building.

The stripes on the most left building.

Ah, I see it now. Thanks.

I like #10 the best.

I like #7, with its vertical dark "chain" pattern of the window frames.

I like #7, with its vertical dark "chain" pattern of the window frames.

Indeed, #7 is my second choice.

I don't like the ones with the stripe in the middle of the round tower. They draw my attention right to that spot, but there doesn't appear to be anything special in that area.

I don't like the ones with the stripe in the middle of the round tower. They draw my attention right to that spot, but there doesn't appear to be anything special in that area.

Which stripe, The vertical or horizontal one?

:laugh: :laugh:

sorry!!!! I finally figured out what the problem was...and so none of these color choices are good :tongue:

All the colors were too strong and drew away from the shape of the building itself. I completely forgot about legacy grey, so I'm doing a grey/bley striped pattern.

building31-finalcolor.jpg

It doesn't look great in picture, but it does in the program so...LXF

Should I put back the green highlights?

opinions? :sweet:

Edited by alienwar9

@ alienwar9: I opened up your latest LDD .lxf file for Building 31 above, and like the new color scheme. I used LDDextended's Enhanced Graphics mode to see everything in sharp detail. Since most building materials (steel, concrete, and stone) are gray, I like your Dark/Light Gray primary colors with the subtle vertical stripes on the big cylindrical tower.

Your building is group of individual shapes (tubes and rectangular blocks) that emphasize the VERTICAL nature of the skyscraper. I would not add a horizontal stripe; that would be more suitable for a low, wide building.

I like the sloped building element over the front entrance carport (on the side not visible in your screenprint above). I like the curved windows on (what seems to be) the two exterior elevator shafts.

If you ever build this 11,900-brick creation with real Lego bricks, it will be most impressive to see! :thumbup: :thumbup:

It doesn't look great in picture, but it does in the program so...LXF

Do we dare click that link? Will our computers crash? :poke:

I never really liked the green; I say leave it off.

Looks good! I would like to see it rendered with the rest of the city and a sky background of some type...guess I could do the background myself.