SpacySmoke

MOC: Type III Ambulance

Totaly cool design for the newer wide body design ambulances seen in the United States. Where I live in Colorado, the ambulances are a solid red color with a white stripe and lots of chrome. I may definitely need to borrow this design at some point to include it for one of my town creations. Awesome job and love the functionality of the rear opening doors. :thumbup:

Great work on this ambulance! :thumbup:

My wife is an EMT and drives/rides a very similar ambulance.

I love the way the doors are created. :wub:

I will definitely be referring to this model when I finally get around to creating my own ambulance.

I've had this model on my shelf for almost a year now, and I've always wanted to revisit it and try and fix some things that bugged me.

I hated that I couldn't have a minifig sit on the bench next to the stretcher in the back, and I felt the front and back lights could be done better.

So a couple of weeks ago I decided to build a second ambulance and try some new things. Then I updated the original with an orange stripe and some other changes. Below is the result!

7292450048_58d22e49b5_z.jpg

As you can see, I built a paramedic version and updated the vanilla one quite a bit. You'll notice I did two emergency light variations, each using different building techniques.

I also eliminated the need for stickers to complete the stripe.

7292450572_84133a9dd4_z.jpg

On the red one, I tried adding additional lights next to the rear doors, since this is very common. However, this makes the build slightly less stable. The door designs are pretty much unchanged.

7292451902_bab6fb10fd_z.jpg

Removable roofs just as before.

7292452454_71e14a44f6_z.jpg

Overhead shot of the patient compartment. A passenger/EMT can now sit on the bench next to the stretcher.

7292453106_4c631369dc_z.jpg

Turning the 1x4x3 panel on its side was the answer.

7292451282_c9bd0c73b6_z.jpg

Hope you enjoyed the updates! Thanks for looking!

Support this project on LEGO Ideas:

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/17901

Edited by SpacySmoke

That is marvelously done. I worked and rode on those things for years, and you nailed them dead on. Just perfect. Well done.

These are great looking Ambulances. The detail is very realistic. Hopefully TLC will make an american version someday but for now Ive downloaded your instructions and will make one of yours.

Thank you for the great feedback! And if you supported it on Cuusoo, double thank you! I really appreciate it!

Wish I could rename the topic though, since these types of ambulances can be found in other countries. Seems they are technically termed "Type III" ambulances.

Thank you for the great feedback! And if you supported it on Cuusoo, double thank you! I really appreciate it!

Wish I could rename the topic though, since these types of ambulances can be found in other countries. Seems they are technically termed "Type III" ambulances.

I wouldnt worry too much about the title as I would imagine most if not all know these ambulances as "american style" as oppossed to "european" style like TLC current offering. And good luck with your cuusoo count.

Very cool Ambulance, WAAAY better than all of TLGs versions :thumbup:

~Legonardo~

I know this is a bump out of the blue, but I saw this over on cuusoo and you mentioned there were instructions in the works. I know the LDD for the previous edit was available, but I really like this new one (and the red/white alt version) so was hoping there were instructions or an LDD out there.

You really captured the style of our typical vehicles! Great job.

Nice bump :) I haven't seen this MOC before. It really has captured the look and style of the US emergency vehicle.

With some modifications and a different cab it's also a good template for modern Northern European ambulances:

1171.jpg

I love both of these.

The exterior but especially the interior is supreme.

Gonna borrow a few of your ideas when i get to build ambulances for my city.

Danish ambulance as they mostly look:

danskambulance.JPG

Very nice work indeed. :)

SpacySmoke thank you so much. I know this is an old thread but years later your fantastic creation is still being built. This is easily the best Lego City themed ambulance ever and as someone who freely shared their LDD/LXF file it is only right to thank you for your kindness in sharing the build file, you are one of the good ones! I built one off of your .lxf with some minor changes and absolutely love it. Thank you!

32760925770_dc04291317_b.jpg

32760925790_7831362df2_b.jpg

Thank you x1000!