Tomik

Tomik's Lego Creator MOC

Maybe try building an orca from those furry creatures?

You've asked for killer whale and it's here! I think this is the best alternative model I've ever built. It combines smart use of SNOT (studs not on top) technique with many movable parts - tail, flippers and maw. It's also pretty sturdy and built only out of parts from set 31021.

31021-6-killer_whale.jpg

31021-7-killer_whale.jpg

31021-8-killer_whale.jpg

31021-9-killer_whale.jpg

Edited by Tomik

Amazing alternates, And high quality instructions too.

Good to see there are still people willing too share without demanding something in return.

Quick question: Which programs do you use to create your building instructions? (No need for elaborate explanations, A list of programs will do.)

I'd like to make instructions of the same quality as yours for some of my own Creator Alternates. (Haven't uploaded all of my creations yet, Some still need photo's taken or there photo's processed.)

Quick question: Which programs do you use to create your building instructions? (No need for elaborate explanations, A list of programs will do.)

I'd like to make instructions of the same quality as yours for some of my own Creator Alternates. (Haven't uploaded all of my creations yet, Some still need photo's taken or there photo's processed.)

Thank you for your acclaim. I use LPub for exporting building instructions (it's software out of ldraw family) and SR 3D Builder for building. I've checked your alternates and I have to say you've got talent for cars.

I've built several new Creator alternative models since my last post. At first I've built lawn mower out of set 31002.

1414520068m_DISPLAY.jpg

Then I've built 4 different alternatative models out of set 31017: plane, helicopter, formuta 1 and motor boat. This set is really good for building alternative models.

1413397418m_DISPLAY.jpg

1413396536m_DISPLAY.jpg

1413397663m_DISPLAY.jpg

1413634408m_DISPLAY.jpg

And finally I've built yellow lobster out of set 31023. Originally I wanted to build propeller plane but it ran wild little bit... :laugh: It features posable claws, legs and tail.

1414520990m_DISPLAY.jpg

You can find more pictures at my MOCpages

Edited by Tomik

My wife went out to visit her parents and I've got free time for building. I'm rummaging in bricks and suddenly mouse appears!

Would you like little bit of cheese? :grin:

14179636641_DISPLAY.jpg

This mouse is my second alternative model built out of set 31019. It features many joints so you can set it up in different poses. It also have piece of cheese.

1417963663m_DISPLAY.jpg

14179636642_DISPLAY.jpg

Edited by Tomik

It has been two months since I wrote last post here. During this time I've built 9 new alternative models built out of Lego Creator set 31017 (orange convertible). The first of them is motorbike. It was quite challenging to find the way how to connect front axle to rest of motorbike.

1420803881m_DISPLAY.jpg

Then I began building my first animal out of this set - koi karp.

1420805141m_DISPLAY.jpg

Next model was also animal - bird. It looks little bit like sparrow.

1420805250m_DISPLAY.jpg

Bird was followed by crocodile. This is very simple and cute model.

1420805474m_DISPLAY.jpg

Probably the most advanced alternative models out of this set are dump truck and forklift truck. I wanted to be the first who build truck with tipping dump bed but unfortunately Peter Szabo was faster. At least I was the first who built forklift truck. :grin: Notice clever way of using SNOT technique for building cab, mast and forks.

14208057031_DISPLAY.jpg

1422106771m_DISPLAY.jpg

I was not sure if it is possible to build train with bricks from this set till I've found picture of steam engine with only 4 wheels. One hour later I've got this little train.

1422191092m_DISPLAY.jpg

And last two alternative models are animals again. First is orange doggie which I've build in almost record time half of hour. Another one is dragon. Idea for building it came from my wife.

1423515252m_DISPLAY.jpg

1423515566m_DISPLAY.jpg

You can find more pictures of these alternative models at my mocpages. I'm running out of ideas for other alternative models out of set 31017 so if have any let me know. I'll do my best to build it.

I am enjoying this whole thread. Some of your animals (like the cat) are so full of motion. He looks like he's ready to pounce. And you are so good at finding the key features that make each animal look like itself.

I am enjoying this whole thread. Some of your animals (like the cat) are so full of motion. He looks like he's ready to pounce. And you are so good at finding the key features that make each animal look like itself.

Thank you for your comment. I'm happy that you've broken in my looong monologue here. :classic:

It's been looong time since my last record here. In the meantime I've built several new alternative models. The first is polar bear built out of awesome set 31034. It is very posable thanks to many joints.

1424882244m_DISPLAY.jpg

14246734021_DISPLAY.jpg

The second model is little formula 1 race car built out of set 31030. Despite limited amount of bricks it has cool details like rearview mirrors.

1428691297m_DISPLAY.jpg

14286912982_DISPLAY.jpg

The third and last model is propeller plane built out of set 31030 too. It features whirling propeller and optional stand to keep it in the air. Development of this plane was pretty long for such a small model. Creator set 31030 has small amount of pieces and even less "ordinary" pieces so building was rather difficult...

1429033895m_DISPLAY.jpg

14290338961_DISPLAY.jpg

It's amazing how you can keep coming up with these awesome models. Your creativity, and your article in Hispabrick Magazine have helped me a lot in building the little alternative models I've build myself, most recently for the Bricklink MOC Design Contest (I should havee told you, but then I'd have no chance to win whatsoever :tongue: ). So thank you for sharing your unparalleled experience in this unique field.

As for your latest models: I really dig that polar bear, especially the head. And the cute tail as well. It's a pretty good animal considering it came from a vehicle set. However, there are some inconsistencies that take away from the organic look, obviously. So my advice would be to embrace that and turn it into a robot polar bear. The ide might be a bit over the top, but I can imagine it works well as a model, and would account for all the gaps and joints.

The two vehicles both get the most out of the rather small set. I like the plain best because of it's creativity given the source material, and those rounded parts just work very well as tail wings. Not very fond of that propellor though. A single straight plate might be better, possibly attached with a 1x1 cone. And it would be cool to have angled wings as well, although I'm beginning to fear for the stability of the model then.

So congratulations once more, and I'm very happy to see you're still making these beauties. If you want another challenge: try making a vehicle out of the furry creatures set. I got pretty far with a spaceshuttle idea, but got stuck. Maybe you can handle it? But no pressure whatsoever (after all, it's space :grin: ).

This topic is full of inspiration and shows there really isn't much limitation with using only a single set as the starting point. The animals such as the mouse, lobster, and orca are creatively spot-on. I also like how accurate the ride-on lawnmower is.

Thank you for your comments. I appreciate them much.

It's amazing how you can keep coming up with these awesome models. Your creativity, and your article in Hispabrick Magazine have helped me a lot in building the little alternative models I've build myself, most recently for the Bricklink MOC Design Contest (I should havee told you, but then I'd have no chance to win whatsoever :tongue: ). So thank you for sharing your unparalleled experience in this unique field.

I'm happy that you've found my article useful. It's gonna continue in next issue of Hispabrick Magazine - I'll share my tips for building Technic alternates. And about that contest - when I've found it, it was already closed... :look:

The two vehicles both get the most out of the rather small set. I like the plain best because of it's creativity given the source material, and those rounded parts just work very well as tail wings. Not very fond of that propellor though. A single straight plate might be better, possibly attached with a 1x1 cone. And it would be cool to have angled wings as well, although I'm beginning to fear for the stability of the model then.

I had many ideas for improving plane too but I was not able to make them due to limited sort of parts. Finally I'm very happy that you can recognize plane in it. :sweet:

If you want another challenge: try making a vehicle out of the furry creatures set. I got pretty far with a spaceshuttle idea, but got stuck. Maybe you can handle it? But no pressure whatsoever (after all, it's space :grin: ).

I was thinking about it too since I've found truck built out of this set. We'll see what else I can build out of it.

After several failed attempts I've finally built helicopter out of set 31030. It features whirling rotors (both of them).

1429461561m_DISPLAY.jpg

14294615622_DISPLAY.jpg

Edited by Tomik

Building instructions for polar bear, all three alternative models out of set 31030 and dragon out of set 31017 are already available on buildisnt. You can also download instructions for building this alternative model built out of beach house 7346.

1409404753m_DISPLAY.jpg

I'd like to introduce you my first alternative models built out of set 31031 (parrot and frog). I've begun building flower and bee but prototype didn't fulfilled my expectations...

1431966446m_DISPLAY.jpg

...so I decided to build something else. Since most of bricks are green I've chosen to build mantis. It features little bit of posability and XL fly similar to original one just a bit bigger.

1431965886m_DISPLAY.jpg

14319658872_DISPLAY.jpg

How to introduce this model? At first I planed to build motor boat... But I wasn't satisfied with its progress so I've changed my mind and began building Moby Dick. This white sperm whale is built out of parts from set 31034 and it features openable maw, moving tail and fins. Notice how I've built eyes with help of arches and blue axle-pins. And finally I've used left over parts to build its favorite meal - giant squid.

1433797381m_DISPLAY.jpg

14337973811_DISPLAY.jpg

Let me introduce you real motor boat built out of set 31034 (it's not another Moby Dick this time :-) This is last generation of speedboat with hydro-jet engine. It fits to future fliers topic very well because it flies on the water. It features 2 seats on board and also 2 buoys for slalom. Notice clever SNOT technique I've used for building front of boat. It is similar to one used in official jet plane alternative model.

14342870831_DISPLAY.jpg

14342870832_DISPLAY.jpg

14342870843_DISPLAY.jpg

Edited by Tomik

I'm back with the third alternative model built out of set 31021 (cat and mouse). It's also my first terrestial animal built out of this set. So let me introduce panda!

1445627038m_DISPLAY.jpg

I've built it in just one day and it features great posability. You can move head, maw, tail and legs so you can easily get sitting panda...

14456270403_DISPLAY.jpg

...lying panda...

14456270414_DISPLAY.jpg

...or even kung-fu panda :grin:

14456270425_DISPLAY.jpg

I was thinking about what to built out of set 31029 (Cargo Heli) very long. Then I've got idea - it's full of yellow parts so I might build duck... And here it comes! It has even two modes: the first is water mode that contains just body and the other one is land mode with attached landing gear - sorry, I wanted to say legs. :grin:

1446910097m_DISPLAY.jpg

14469100981_DISPLAY.jpg

14469100982_DISPLAY.jpg

I'd like to introduce you my latest alternative model I've built out of set 31044 (Park Animals). First of all I'd like to say something about this set. When I opened it I was surprised it doesn't contain any ordinary bricks. There are two bricks 2x1 with 2 studs on one side and lots of plates, hinges, joints and slopes.

So back to my model - I've built cat and duck. Cat has many joints so you can set it into various poses. I wanted to build it mouse but I didn't have enough parts for it so I've built duck instead.

1454852363m_DISPLAY.jpg

14548523641_DISPLAY.jpg

14548523643_DISPLAY.jpg

I'm back with another alternative model of animal. This time it's Great White Shark built out of set 31045. It features opening maw and moving fins and tail. I've used left over parts to build some kind of tropical fish and diver. So who is going to be shark's dinner today?

1457269453m_DISPLAY.jpg

Short story

Diver: "Awesome, I've discovered new species of fish!"

14572694541_DISPLAY.jpg

Few seconds later...

14572694542_DISPLAY.jpg

Lesson from this story: Always watch your back!