Name: 10177 Boeing 787 Dreamliner

Theme: LEGO Exclusives

Year: 2006

Piece Count: 1197

Minifigs: 0

Price: $80 USD (regular price)

LEGO's text:

LEGO Boeing: Boeing 787 Dreamliner

The newest and most revolutionary aircraft in the legendary Boeing fleet, the 787 Dreamliner is designed for ultimate in air travel, and now it can be yours in this exclusive collector's model! With authentic colors, scale and details, the LEGO Boeing 787 Dreamliner is just like the real thing! The Dreamliner features a display stand and display card listing the real aircraft's specifications and details. Overall length is 26" (66cm) and wingspan is 27" (69 cm)! Includes collector's display stand and display card with detailed specifications for the real aircraft! A LEGO exclusive, based on exact specifications from Boeing Commercial Airplanes for the ultimate in scale, details and authenticity!

I ordered this set a couple of years ago from LEGO.com at 50% off for parts. I didn't plan on building the plane. Since I recently bought the CITY Space Shuttle and wonder how it would look on the back of the 787.

THE BOX:

picture_11865.jpg

picture_11866.jpg

INSIDE THE BOX:

The box contains around 16 plastic bags, 1 sticker sheet and 2 instruction bookets.

Picture11936.jpg

Picture11939.jpg

A sample instruction page.

Picture11935.jpg

THE BUILD:

The build was fairly long. There were many small pieces like 50 clear 1x1 cheese slopes to attach for the windows.

qicture_11817.jpg

Many 1x__ plates to build up the side of the fuselage

qicture_11820.jpg

For a 1197 piece set, there weren't many extra pieces.

qicture_11821.jpg

THE PLANE, THE PLANE, BOSS:

picture_11870.jpg

The turbofan engines are nicely detailed.

picture_11869.jpg

Interesting way to do the nose.

picture_11886.jpg

CONCLUSION:

Design: 8/10 Looks great using standard plates and bricks. The fuselage is pretty sturdy.

Parts: 8/10 Good supply of standard plates.

Build: 7/10 Long, somewhat repetitive but enjoyable once you get by the 1x1 plates and slopes.

Playability: 7/10 It is very big to swoosh. It works best as a display model since it doesn't come with landing gear.

Price: 8/10 7 cents USD per piece.

Overall: 8/10 This model of the Boeing 787 is over 2 feet in size. It's big and nicely detailed. It'll certainly impress your friends.

HOW DOES IT LOOK AS A SHUTTLE CARRIER AIRCRAFT (SCA)?

picture_11880.jpg

picture_11882.jpg

I think I may MOD it into a 747. :classic:

Edited by Rufus
Indexed

I was excited by this set when I first heard of it, but many of the details (such as the nose and engines) I didn't like, and I felt the price was excessive. It did come locally for me, but it still never was compelling enough. Thanks for sharing the review! :sweet:

I think I may MOD it into a 747. :classic:

I'm curious how it goes. They have a very different shape.

Yay! I've been waiting for a review of this set for ages. :excited: Nice, clear pics, and the dark blue background works well here. :thumbup:

I'm a big fan of planes, but for some reason LEGO's version of the 787 never appealed enough for me to buy this one. It just seems a little too blocky at this scale. Maybe if they'd simplified the colour scheme if would have had cleaner lines, but then I guess people would have complained about accuracy. I do like how they've achieved the swept wings, though.

Indexed!

Thank you, Rufus, Siegfried and Nightshroud99. :classic:

Siegfried, I would have to redesign and reshape the front to make it like a 747. I'm thinking I might need many white slopes.

Very nice review. I like this set. It seems like a very interesting (if not boring) build with nice parts. I wonder what this set would've looked like 10 years ago, without the newer parts

Quite an interesting 'old' set that I haven't seen yet, so thanks for sharing this review dr_spock! It's a pretty good set for me considering the time it was made, there may be some questionable techniques but it still looks decent as a MiniLand-style airplane display model.

Thank you for this fine review. Finally, there is someone who has touched on this review. I am very excited about this set when I first saw this set. Even though, at that time, I didn't have enough budget for this set, I am quite sure I did feel regret about it. It's certainly great to see this in pictorial review. :blush:

Yay! I've been waiting for a review of this set for ages. :excited: Nice, clear pics, and the dark blue background works well here. :thumbup:

Actually, there is one of such review hiding in somewhere, inside RA. :tongue:

Thank you, Prateek, KielDaMan, Lego Man Can and WhiteFang.

It is a useful set. The engines work well for a pod racer too. :classic:

Picture12082.jpg