Sign in to follow this  
IcedCOffee

Dreadnought and LandSpeeder

The whole idea come from my gaming experience of the WH40K:DOW, and the dreadnought is one of my favorite unit in the game. A Lego remake is a must, and here it is!

5820751051_ee3b10bf3d_b.jpg

5820743369_a50a869b3d_b.jpg

5821297242_c753a31235_b.jpg

Accidentally, I got the idea to build a landspeeder right after I finish up the dreadnought, so I decided to build it too.

5821290914_4c7e916564_b.jpg

5820728117_d2634b3920_b.jpg

Hope that you all enjoy this work of mine, See you next time when I have something new to show you guys.

The only critique i have is that i miss the dual exhaust on the Dread's back and that the Landspeeder can't carry passengers, it's a 2 seater.

Other then that , excellent work :grin:

Although looking at the dread's feet i'd say it's a chaos dread :tongue:

I'm not familiar with the game, but these are certainly two excellent builds. Both are very well-designed especially with the intimidating look of the dreadnaught brought about by the bulky muscular design with heavy weaponry. The landspeeder is very sleek-looking too with the overall SNOT finish and all-black scheme. Great job! :thumbup:

Overall, not too bad. But to those who know what they're looking at, it's not completely accurate. I say that because there's a few things that don't quite look right, but that's not exactly your fault, it's your medium. You really did a hell of a job, I really like them and I love Warhammer 40K.

I am a big W40K fan which is why I need to nitpick. :grin:

Both your landspeeder and your Dreadnought have a lot of innacuracies such as the landspeeder's bumper which isnt so bad but the bolter machine gun really bugs me since the bolter is easily recognizable thanks to its unique boxy look with its very short barrel. Your bolter looks too much like a normal machine un to me :wacko: .

Also, your dreadnought's legs are Way too long.. But it's still very cool and your dreadnought looks like he can actually run :grin: ..

The dreadnought's claw has very chaos-esque fingers which also kind of bugs me :wacko: ...

Overall, You might be thinking I dont like your moc (or just be confused thanks to all the W40K nerdiness i just wrote)But I actually really like it. It may be very innacurate but has a big modern, almost futuristic and realistic feel which is very cool. :classic:

The ONLY 2 things that truly bugs me are the bolter (see above) and the landspeeder's wings: they are SMALL.

Other than that, Super awesome moc!

PS: There is actually a landspeeder variant that can carry a few passagers :wink:

PS#2: This is my very first post on eurobricks!

Both your landspeeder and your Dreadnought have a lot of innacuracies such as the landspeeder's bumper which isnt so bad but the bolter machine gun really bugs me since the bolter is easily recognizable thanks to its unique boxy look with its very short barrel. Your bolter looks too much like a normal machine un to me :wacko: .

Also, your dreadnought's legs are Way too long.. But it's still very cool and your dreadnought looks like he can actually run :grin: ..

The dreadnought's claw has very chaos-esque fingers which also kind of bugs me :wacko: ...

Overall, You might be thinking I dont like your moc (or just be confused thanks to all the W40K nerdiness i just wrote)But I actually really like it. It may be very innacurate but has a big modern, almost futuristic and realistic feel which is very cool. :classic:

The ONLY 2 things that truly bugs me are the bolter (see above) and the landspeeder's wings: they are SMALL.

PS: There is actually a landspeeder variant that can carry a few passagers :wink:

If you call that nitpicking over inaccuracies you're being gentle :tongue:

A lot more you can nitpick about.

The assault cannon on the dread

The dread's sarcophagus

Dreads engine/exhaust

Landspeeders wings are in the wrong place

Missing upper aileron on the landspeeder

Landspeeder has no passagers

I think that if i take my speeder and dread models and start to really compare i can come up with a lot more.

But the beauty of the Model hobby is that you can customize to your hearts content and make each vehicle your own with all kinds of things that arn''t on the 'standard' model and i doubt you can built a 100% acurate landspeeder or dread at minifig scale :wink:

So i think these are very nicely done.

And welcome to EB :tongue:

Edited by BasOne

I saw some in-depth conversation about if this is a accurate copy of the original design, I will get back to that later on. (Let me reply the simple one first....)

The only critique i have is that i miss the dual exhaust on the Dread's back and that the Landspeeder can't carry passengers, it's a 2 seater.

Other then that , excellent work :grin:

Although looking at the dread's feet i'd say it's a chaos dread :tongue:

Thank you BasOne, I actually decided to delete the dual exhaust on the Dread's back because of the overall outcome. I will explain more on my building philosophy later on.

and the landspeeder, I though it have sites for passengers cause i found this picture from the internet....

5823145988_63fce8bb2b.jpg

I'm not familiar with the game, but these are certainly two excellent builds. Both are very well-designed especially with the intimidating look of the dreadnaught brought about by the bulky muscular design with heavy weaponry. The landspeeder is very sleek-looking too with the overall SNOT finish and all-black scheme. Great job! :thumbup:

Thank you, I use all-black scheme for a purpose, it is to explore the possibility to create an overall shape of round-and-bulky design with black bricks, as it will sort of ignore some of the details. I hope that you enjoy this MOC.

Wow, this are 2 nice MOCs. I dont know the game. But they look great.

Keep up the good work!

Thank you Blacknight!

Very nice designs, very recognizable as 40k vehicals. any plans on making a land raider or predator tank?

Thank you lego wargammer. I did plan to make either the land raider or the predator tank, haven't make up my mind yet. (And some other MOC ideas have come to my mind at the mean time)

--------------------------------------

Ok, time for the big task/question, why this model is not completely accurate.

Overall, not too bad. But to those who know what they're looking at, it's not completely accurate. I say that because there's a few things that don't quite look right, but that's not exactly your fault, it's your medium. You really did a hell of a job, I really like them and I love Warhammer 40K.

If you call that nitpicking over inaccuracies you're being gentle :tongue:

A lot more you can nitpick about.

The assault cannon on the dread

The dread's sarcophagus

Dreads engine/exhaust

Landspeeders wings are in the wrong place

Missing upper aileron on the landspeeder

Landspeeder has no passagers

I think that if i take my speeder and dread models and start to really compare i can come up with a lot more.

But the beauty of the Model hobby is that you can customize to your hearts content and make each vehicle your own with all kinds of things that arn''t on the 'standard' model and i doubt you can built a 100% acurate landspeeder or dread at minifig scale :wink:

So i think these are very nicely done.

And welcome to EB :tongue:

First of all, I am not trying to avoid any questions or start a frame-war or anything similar to that. I am just trying to explain some of the reason behind my building decisions, or some will say this is my building philosophy.

To me, as I am/was an art-student, I try to look at LEGO in a different way. I believed that it is more that a toys. Some builder/artist use it as materials to re-produce something familiar to us, which is a very good start already. But what I have in mind is quite different.

Looking back to the history of art, compare the time before and after photography become a new form of art, you will find something really interesting going on. Being accurate to the real world is something really important to painter before the invention of photography, especially it could become one of the major income - painting portrait for rich, nobles, etc.

What happen after the invention of photography is that we soon have the impressionism, abstractionism, modernism, etc. Photography free painting itself from the chain of accuration and painting now have the room to explore possibility other than being accurate to the real world, or trying to create a realistic image of things that live only in our imaginations, such as religions.

I don't believe we will have something similar to the importance of photos in LEGO world, or else it will lose the point to have LEGO at all. (In a different way of thinking, pixel arts is sort of lego...) But I believe, there are other possibility except being accurate to the real world.

My philosophy is to capture the spirit of the original design, re-present it in a Lego content.

So you can imagine this, someone will notice what it is while they just scan though the picture, yet, started to ask questions while they took a closer look. I would say it is a similar effect to Seurat's pointilism/divisionism painting, most famously know one is "A Sunday on La Grande Jatte". Although Seurat is still trying to re-produce the world under his painting, you can notice something really straight about his painting.

8227_591535.jpg

I am really glad that you guys start to ask questions, because my philosophy will eventually lead us to one question, "Is that accuration is all Lego MOC about?"

It is a big question, and I don't have an answer. But I started to test this philosophy around two years ago. The first try is the Twins from transformer, then the scorponok, Matrix APU, Soundwave, and finally this dreadnought and landspeeder.

The funny thing is that, you guys can notice what it is right away, even there are differences with the original design. Most of the people will notice what it is in the first sight at the model, and start to question right after that.

Of course, I doubt that I could create a more accurate model of all the model I've tested on this subject. I doubt that I could do it. (I properly won't try to build those in the first place if it wasn't for the test.)

But it is my try to capture the spirit of the original design. And here it is, this is my theory and I am proud to say that this is my form of art.

Thank you guys for giving important respond to this MOC.

BTW, I am not a native-english speaker, so please correct me if anything doesn't seems right to you guys.

There are actually different versions of the Landspeeder.

The normal version.

LSpeed.gif

The Landspeeder Typhoon

240px-LSTyphoon.gif

The Landspeeder Tornado

250px-LSTornade.gif

The Landspeeder Tempest

250px-LSTempest.jpg

And the Landspeeder Storm

embarked_thumb256.jpg

As you said you were inspired by DOW The LS Storm isn't in the game.... unless it's in the new game, havn't played that yet.

So i expected the normal version :grin:

Sometimes I think it would be interesting to look at which of the categories in Eurobricks that people spend most of their time. I've noticed that in some categories like Star Wars, people will point out the slightest inaccuracy in a MOC or LEGO model. I spend most of my time in Town, and for those of us who like LEGO City, we're just happy if a LEGO vehicle has doors!

With that said, of course I love this MOC! It's been some time since I've played WH40K (15 years?? wow I'm getting old), but these were instantly recognizable. However, as a fan of Blood Angels, these are the wrong color and should be red. Although I suppose they could be part of the Death Company.

Overall, great job!

There are actually different versions of the Landspeeder.

The normal version.

LSpeed.gif

The Landspeeder Typhoon

240px-LSTyphoon.gif

The Landspeeder Tornado

250px-LSTornade.gif

The Landspeeder Tempest

250px-LSTempest.jpg

And the Landspeeder Storm

embarked_thumb256.jpg

As you said you were inspired by DOW The LS Storm isn't in the game.... unless it's in the new game, havn't played that yet.

So i expected the normal version :grin:

Man, I have no ideas that there are so many kind of landspeeder.......

thanks for the tips...the one I try to do is the land speeder storm....

and yes I get the idea from DOW, but that game couldn't give me enough details to built so I turn to the models....

Sometimes I think it would be interesting to look at which of the categories in Eurobricks that people spend most of their time. I've noticed that in some categories like Star Wars, people will point out the slightest inaccuracy in a MOC or LEGO model. I spend most of my time in Town, and for those of us who like LEGO City, we're just happy if a LEGO vehicle has doors!

With that said, of course I love this MOC! It's been some time since I've played WH40K (15 years?? wow I'm getting old), but these were instantly recognizable. However, as a fan of Blood Angels, these are the wrong color and should be red. Although I suppose they could be part of the Death Company.

Overall, great job!

Thank you. I won't said that pointing out inaccuracy is a bad thing, It just a different way to look at an MOC. But I am glad that we have viewer like you that are more open-mind to these kind of stuff.

and 15 YEARS of WH40K!!!!! That amazing!!!!!

Blood angels though......I wonder if there are red pieces of some pieces I use.....

Pah, Blood Angels, pffff

Space Wolfs are waaaay cooler :grin:

I agree. The Wolves are the elite faction. They have the best resolve out of any faction of Space Marine(according to the Codex) but I'm following TTTlego into nerdiness with my W40K talk. :blush:

Edited by Legocrazy81

I like the speeder and yes it looks a bit more Storm to me than the other variants, but then the minifigs are more scout than fully fledges marines so that is fine. The Heavy bolter could be boxier, but then as you said artistic licence and all that. I'd also have to agree that the Dreads legs are a little long, should be more stumpy, but I doubt I could do better in LEGO. Good effort overall.

I have been thinking about doing some interior space ship corridors over which to battle my various W40K armies but have so far been put off by the number of tiles I'd need as I think to make it viable in the game it would need to be SNOT. But I do like to see Warhammer LEGO stuff. It would be wonderful if GW & LEGO got together and did an actual franchise, but I don't think it will ever happen. Then I could have my two favourite hobbies all in one!

I am tradition, I like ultramarine.. :devil:

Not only that but, with all the blue, it harkens back to Classic Space, too. :grin:

Nice to see WH40K in LEGO. It's a licence that I always hoped LEGO would be able to do but, I just don't see it happening. :cry_sad:

I like the dread very much. The choice of color and arms are very cool.

The Land speeder is great as is and looks wonderfil. :classic:

And as an aside to those saying what chapters are the best, you are all wrong. The best chapter of all is the Hello Kitty Maqrines....

15035_md-Cute,%20Hello%20Kitty,%20Humor,%20Meltagun,%20Space%20Marines.jpg

Actually the longer legs and narrow waist are a little more like the new Forge World Contemptor Pattern Dread, so right on the ball with that.

And as an aside to those saying what chapters are the best, you are all wrong. The best chapter of all is the Hello Kitty Maqrines....

That is just so wrong, obviously a corruption of Slaanesh!

I can't see LEGO doing W40K either, but we can live in hope. Codex Mini-figs?

Edited by Hrw-Amen

Space Wolves all the way! For Russ!! And an excellent job on the builds! Come by the Mead Hall in the Fang for some libations!