kurigan

A proposal

I have a lot more measuring to do. :pir-grin: Taz, can't wait to see your ship But your ship can't beat my sloop. :pir-sweet: Good luck to all admirals.

Will the game be played online?

On another subject, what is the relation of ship size and sail area to speed with the wind?

First question: Yes, like the clone conflicts here, I intend to use the board for the game. I'd had no problem, however, if people used it to play it offline. After all, it's about the Legoships. But if the actual ships would be used in an offline game, the playing fields would have to be huge - but wouldn't this be an incredible fun? :rofl:

Second question: that one is rather hard to explain. We used Phred's original formula to determine the maximum speed of a vessel. We then used the Beaufort Scale to tell how much speed the vessels will have in a turn. A Beaufort Number of 1 will decrease the maximum speed by 2, a BN of 5 will provide full speed and a BN of 8 will reduce speed of the smaller ships to 1 while ships of the line will still be able to maintain more sails. Does this answer your questions?

Taz, can't wait to see your ship But your ship can't beat my sloop. pirate_satisfied.gif Good luck to all admirals.

Well I guess that's yet to be confirmed.

With a crew of 21 including 10 marines and sporting 7 high caliber cannons per broadside + a few chasers she'll be tough to match in her class.

Well I guess that's yet to be confirmed.

With a crew of 21 including 10 marines and sporting 7 high caliber cannons per broadside + a few chasers she'll be tough to match in her class.

Well, it will be confirmed. Mine is a crew of 18, 4 captains and another 3 marines, and the rest are sailors. On each side is 4 24 pounder cannons and 2 less caliber ones in the stern facing outward. Plus another 2 spaces at the front for bowchasers if I wanted to put them in. :pir-blush:

Gentlemen, it seems like you are eager to present yourself as "beta captains" for the game, aren't you?

Gentlemen, it seems like you are eager to present yourself as "beta captains" for the game, aren't you?

Argh... As for the reloading time you fixed after you heard it doesn't take 5 hours to reload a cannon :pir_laugh2: are you saying that you can fire more than once per turn?

'Tis looking that way, and happy to test the rule set.pirate_cry_happy.gif

How many cannons a ship has depends on how many you place on it. But please let's stay reasonable. If there are 50 cannons on a sloop, the sloop will play "Vasa" right in the beginning of the game. I believe there are 4 gunports for 24 pounders on the QAR, aren't there? I'd suggest putting 4 of them in there and maybe 4 additional 9 pounders on the main-deck - that is, if it would be an original QAR and no MOD. But it's only a guideline. The game's supposed to be about giving your ideas on building a chance to prove themselves, not about telling me you guys on how to build or equip your ships. I trust everybody stays fair around here.

Vasa sank.

Well I see you are gettin' me point :pir-grin: Too much cannons are neither healthy for your enemy, nor you.

Well I see you are gettin' me point :pir-grin: Too much cannons are neither healthy for your enemy, nor you.

Yeah, too heavy... my ships are armed with stuff much lighter, monkey's with blunderbusses... :pir_laugh2: Sorry to bug you, :pir-sceptic: but when will the formulas be up?

I am sending the formulae to Phred now. If he thinks everyting is correct, I'll upload everything.

I am sending the formulae to Phred now. If he thinks everyting is correct, I'll upload everything.

Thanks, Horry. I am just a little too eager. :pirate:

Is there an ammo limit?

Typically, I believe a vessel is overtaken or the gun crews killed before they run out of shot. From books that I've read, a ship will typically carry enough shot and powder to fire 80 rounds from each cannon. Although I don't remember from what navy that the quantity applies to. :blush: However, I don't think we need to keep track of the ammo. I believe it would be too much to worry about along with everything else. I would like to assume "unlimited" ammo, but account for 80 shots for each cannon with the weight of each gun.

But it's only a guideline. The game's supposed to be about giving your ideas on building a chance to prove themselves, not about telling me you guys on how to build or equip your ships. I trust everybody stays fair around here.

I agree completely. :thumbup:

If Horry maintains the cannon portion of the excel file that contains the speed formula, for every cannon you add to your ship, the slower your ship is going to go due to the extra weight of the guns and their shot.

If a person would pile on a lot of cannons for the size of their ship, other vessels the same size with less cannon would be able to move more quickly and more easily rake the overloaded vessel. :pir-devil:

Good thinking Phred. And did anyone find out if we are playing in this forum or the games one? If we play in the games one and someone doesn't have a ship that is custom, we could have them "rent" a LEGO Company made one. :pir-tongue: Can't wait to get started. :pir-devil:

Good thinking Phred. And did anyone find out if we are playing in this forum or the games one? If we play in the games one and someone doesn't have a ship that is custom, we could have them "rent" a LEGO Company made one. :pir-tongue: Can't wait to get started. :pir-devil:

Well, I still haven't got an answer from Dragonator and Taz said he'll ask the pirates crew - I think we just have to wait for an answer :shrug_confused:

Well, I still haven't got an answer from Dragonator and Taz said he'll ask the pirates crew - I think we just have to wait for an answer :shrug_confused:

We are discussing the idea, and we'll keep you posted ofcourse. Be patient ye scurvy dogs! :pir-tongue:

We are discussing the idea, and we'll keep you posted ofcourse. Be patient ye scurvy dogs! :pir-tongue:

I did not want to seem impatient, sorry. Just wanted to clear things up. Thanks for the information, though!

On topic: the rules are finished as is the template for ships. I'll upload them momentarily and post the links here!

EDIT: here are the template and the rules. When Phred gives his okay, the tables will be uploaded, too!

Edited by Horry

It looks very good and profesionnal I must say :thumbup:

I hope it's not too complicated for all our members, but I can't wait for the first round to see how this will develop.

It all looks really good Horry. I think that I will like this.

One problem, when I clicked on the link, it took me to a website with some questionable, not kid friendly pop up ads. I was able to download the rules but I was just wondering if anyone else noticed the ads.

It all looks really good Horry. I think that I will like this.

One problem, when I clicked on the link, it took me to a website with some questionable, not kid friendly pop up ads. I was able to download the rules but I was just wondering if anyone else noticed the ads.

I got like a billion pop-ups, my computer wouldn't load. :pir-sceptic: But I got the rules too and they are good, I am now awaiting the formulas for the speed, and my ships are complete. :pir-sweet:

I got the rules too and they are good, I am now awaiting the formulas for the speed, and my ships are complete. pirate_satisfied.gif

Ditto, Just need to take some photos of my ship and the 32x32 island base plate for Horry.

Should be up in an hour or two.

Still tweaking my crew a little aswell.pirate_wink.gif

Edit: here's the base plate hope it's usable post-13585-130837252249.jpg

Edited by TazManiac