drakmin

MOC StarCraft 2 Technic Siege Tank

Hello again!

This time I'm building a Siege Tank from StarCraft 2 pc game. First image shows how it looks in the game. Build so far has been very challenging as I've needed to come up with sturdy enough mechanism to lift the tank up. Thread/track parts will have pneumatics to open them in X position. At this moment only front tracks are motorized. I hope I'll be able to build a cannon which fires. All functions will be IR controlled.

original photos lost, here the model is finished:

28.6.2012 -finished- :) | photo url's fixed 2014

13316699733_77342d32c2_b.jpg

7459633344_9dc2830879_b.jpg

7459329968_d61702ab2e_b.jpg

11931012636_63cd0c0926_b.jpg

Small take on building technique

tower.jpg

Cannon

ufull.jpg

Front track mechanism

ufull2.jpg

Random work in progress

Thanks for watching! First video was made by my brother. Second one is just a slr on tripod 3fps to speed things up :)

Edited by drakmin

What about the middle tracks? Will they retract inside the hull and will outriggers come out through there, just like in the game? I found this feature a little discouraging when it comes to mechanical re-creation.

Looks like you're off to a good start! I started something similar a year ago but stopped before I finished it, kind of regret that now. The cannon transformation is really tricky to do so I gave up.

What about the middle tracks? Will they retract inside the hull and will outriggers come out through there, just like in the game? I found this feature a little discouraging when it comes to mechanical re-creation.

I zoomed in real hard on the tank in the game and watched the transformation sequence over and over. Unfortunately the outriggers clip through the middle tracks, making it impossible to build them at the proper size.

I think the middle track mechanics will be the most difficult thing to build. I've watched transformation animations from Youtube and in game, I think the middle track has a hatch that opens and feet come out from those. I think it's possible to build it almost like in the game. I haven't even thought about the cannon yet but I feel it will be easier than the middle tracks.

The reason I chose this project is one popular Lego Siege Tank video on Youtube where the tank has only 2 pairs of tracks and is overall very inaccurate ;D I want to do it better ;D

The reason I chose this project is one popular Lego Siege Tank video on Youtube where the tank has only 2 pairs of tracks and is overall very inaccurate ;D

Damn right! I keep my fingers crossed for you :)

Edited by Sariel

As a diehard SCII fan, I will surely keep an eye on the build progress..this is one of my favorite Terran vehicle. A good long ranged weapon against Zerg's sunken colonies. :grin:

A pretty interesting and challenging topic, looking forward to your progress.

Here's the very challengin middle track + feet mechanism. At the moment I'm pretty satisfied with most of it. Front tracks have now motors inside the housing driving the track via a wormscrew.

_full.jpg

This is looking very promising :thumbup:

It looks like you have almost totally redesigned the base, and it's great to see your progression through different concepts.

I'm also looking to build a sci-fi tank (not from StarCraft), but I'm just in the early planning stages at the moment.

I'll definitely be keeping an eye on your progress.

Thank you. At this point I could use different ideas of how to make a compressor which can supply atleast 6x medium pneumatic cylinders. I have 3 large and 3 small pumps + 2x air tanks.

At this point I could use different ideas of how to make a compressor which can supply atleast 6x medium pneumatic cylinders.

Have you seen this Techbricks.nl webpage for ideas?

This is really nice. I would love to see a video of your work so far, I can't quite get to grips with how this transformation occurs. Video, please?

Thank you. At this point I could use different ideas of how to make a compressor which can supply atleast 6x medium pneumatic cylinders. I have 3 large and 3 small pumps + 2x air tanks.

One idea is to have 3 pumps set up like in a engine crank, large pumps are very heavy on moters if not geared righ.

Edited by Alasdair Ryan

One idea is to have 3 pumps set up like in a engine crank, large pumps are very heavy on moters if not geared righ.

This compressor from Sariel should do the trick...

Sorry for the long break, this week I continued building the tank again :] Most of the mechanics are working now and I'll start sketching the mechanics for the turret next.

_full.jpg