Jedi master Brick

Where we are proud to be British

I agree with you on some points, especially Mr Men & Little Miss, Roald Dahl and the education system but as for the brilliant music and pantomime - gah!

*huh* I new my username came from something I could vaguely remember I thought it was random but turns out I read those books :blush:, I completely forgot.

In my defense...

Hmmm: defense=USA defence=UK :wink:.

'nothing happens in august :laugh:'

Hmmm, Well, we have officially run out of sunshine and it seems to be rain from here on in. (America have a hurricane to worry about and we are still moaning about the weather).

*Hmmm: defense=USA defence=UK :wink:.

:blush: How could I miss that?

Hmmm, Well, we have officially run out of sunshine and it seems to be rain from here on in.

I was really surprised, I was up in Dundee for a ceilidh last weekend, and it seemed to be the only part of the country not raining!

I must say, when I saw this thread I hoped it wouldn't be Brits typically talking about Football and the Weather! :grin:

I couldn't help but smile when I saw a thread about being British and reading several comments about the weather within the first few posts.

Just for the record, there's been a few heavy showers here in Worcester.

While waiting for MotD, I caught the end of Proms and I felt rather patriotic to see all the flags flying to songs like Jerusalem and the National Anthem.

Edited by Augen 2

While waiting for MotD, I caught the end of Proms and I felt rather patriotic to see all the flags flying to songs like Jerusalem and the National Anthem.

I love the Proms, I need to see them live at some point. Yeah the flag flying is great until someone calls the National flag of the United Kingdom the Union 'Jack', I hate that :blush:.

Yeah the flag flying is great until someone calls the National flag of the United Kingdom the Union 'Jack', I hate that :blush:.

See, it's the little pernickity details we Brits love to fuss over!

What I like is all of the home nations know how to play rugby, unlike football :laugh:

But out of all of the Home Nations England is still the worst at it compared to the others :laugh:.

I've recently got into researching local history. Fascinating stuff. The rise and rise and fall of Birkenhead on the Wirral peninsula. Tall ships, iron ships, trains, trams, ferries, famous gentlefolk, fabulous architecture and amazing entertainment. All destroyed by petty minded, deceitful, greedy councillors and town planners. It's a litany of woes. From the 1700's onwards. It's nothing short of a miracle that us Birkonians are still here to tell the tales.

I'm not really proud to be British. I think on the whole Britain has been mismanaged for centuries. I'm quite protective of my home town though. If time travel were possible I'd go back to 1900 and enjoy the glory days before 'progress' screwed everything up.

I'm not really proud to be British. I think on the whole Britain has been mismanaged for centuries. I'm quite protective of my home town though. If time travel were possible I'd go back to 1900 and enjoy the glory days before 'progress' screwed everything up.

to die at a young age due to some bacterial infection that they couldn't cure yet because penicilline hadn't been invented yet...

The early 1900s sucked.

I'm really enjoying reading this thread. I'm not British, but lived there for more than three years. I'm glad I moved back to the Netherlands, but there is a lot about Britain that I miss. You guys manage to confirm all the cliches :sweet:

Cheers,

Ralph

You guys manage to confirm all the cliches :sweet:

Funnily enough we do seem to have, we should be running out of them by now :laugh:.

Funnily enough we do seem to have, we should be running out of them by now :laugh:.

Perhaps we should have a tea break, then get back to the running out thing all refreshed?

Perhaps we should have a tea break, then get back to the running out thing all refreshed?

Well you found another one. The warm weather recently has been a shock, we had worse weather for most of the summer

It's been a thoroughly nice few days! I nipped out wearing a leather jacket the other day... Bad idea, I think I started to cook!

Typical though, as soon as my birthday came round today, the sun vanished... :hmpf_bad:

With a month still to go 'till bonfire night can anyone else hear the fireworks, I've had them going off every night since a week ago :hmpf_bad:.

With a month still to go 'till bonfire night can anyone else hear the fireworks, I've had them going off every night since a week ago :hmpf_bad:.

Most likely to have been fireworks for Diwali, not for bonfire night. :classic:

Yep, for as long as I can remember there are fireworks going off nearly every night from the first day they are available to buy in October. A lot of it is flipping kids, you can tell as they're the ones that decide it's a good idea to set them off at midnight on a week night :angry:

Yep, for as long as I can remember there are fireworks going off nearly every night from the first day they are available to buy in October. A lot of it is flipping kids, you can tell as they're the ones that decide it's a good idea to set them off at midnight on a week night :angry:

From what I gathered from last year they start in October and go right threw until January with hardly any stops in between.

From what I gathered from last year they start in October and go right threw until January with hardly any stops in between.

Yep, it takes all the joy out of it :cry_sad:

Hello to all the other British AFOLs in here. Just thought I'd say hi.

I went into Tesco on Christmas Eve and they had just started selling Easter eggs. :wacko:

They were still playing Christmas music though...

I went into Tesco on Christmas Eve and they had just started selling Easter eggs. :wacko:

They were still playing Christmas music though...

I noticed that in my local ASDA, it just plain bloody ridiculous, the earliest Easter can be is April or something :hmpf_bad:.