Jedi master Brick

Where we are proud to be British

Nope, summer and spring have both been skipped now, back to Winter.

Nope, summer and spring have both been skipped now, back to Winter.

It's almost melted though, up here :laugh:.

The hilarious part about Argentina's pathetic claim to the Falklands is that their argument invalidates their own independence. Kircher says that that the British citizens living on the Falklands do not have a right to self-determination because they are not indigenous. This argument is contrary to international law and following this logic would have denied the independence of Argentina itself.

The other argument about geography is ludicrous too, just because the Falklands are close to Argentina doesn't mean it should be Argentine. Cuba is close to USA so should it be American? What an absurd argument.

It's the same with the Falklands. There's actually no real oil deposits there but England is just too stubborn to let Argentina have the islands back.

You do realise that UK keeps the Falklands because they want to be British? The UK supports their right to self determination, where as it is Argentina that is acting like a petty colonial power.

The hilarious part about Argentina's pathetic claim to the Falklands is that their argument invalidates their own independence. Kircher says that that the British citizens living on the Falklands do not have a right to self-determination because they are not indigenous. This argument is contrary to international law and following this logic would have denied the independence of Argentina itself.

The other argument about geography is ludicrous too, just because the Falklands are close to Argentina doesn't mean it should be Argentine. Cuba is close to USA so should it be American? What an absurd argument.

So despite the geographical distance India should still be part of the British Empire? The USA... North Africa? Non of the Americans are native ether.

So despite the geographical distance India should still be part of the British Empire? The USA... North Africa? Non of the Americans are native ether.

No, obviously not. I am simply saying that geographical location is a very poor argument to support the hostile takeover of an island.

Actually your point about America helps my argument. Following Kircher's line of argument USA should not have independence because the people are not indigenous, therefore using her logic they have no right to self determination. Do you see how stupid it is?

Yet suddenly when it is the Falklands in question this logic is sound apparently. What a shoddy argument, Kircher knows it too, she is just sabre rattling.

Yikes, this thread is getting rather heavy and depressing! I thought the talk of the rubbish British weather was a downer without all this. Are we not getting a little off topic?

I have recently made the decision that I want to be somewhere in between being American and English in relation to emotional repression; we seem to personify the two extremes in that respect. I'd like to be a little more emotionally open like most Americans (without the gushing, nauseating aspect) and not so completely repressed like most British people that it causes psychological issues when I'm in my 30s. Oh wait...it's too late :wink:

Weather seems really strange right now. Finally got some rain, at times the wind seems cold but sometimes warm. Why can't the weather make up its mind what it wants to do? :cry_sad:

Yikes, this thread is getting rather heavy and depressing! I thought the talk of the rubbish British weather was a downer without all this. Are we not getting a little off topic?

I have recently made the decision that I want to be somewhere in between being American and English in relation to emotional repression; we seem to personify the two extremes in that respect. I'd like to be a little more emotionally open like most Americans (without the gushing, nauseating aspect) and not so completely repressed like most British people that it causes psychological issues when I'm in my 30s. Oh wait...it's too late :wink:

KateB:

This is a hilarious post! Having been born in the US, I can identify with other folks thinking that Americans let it all hang out too much, and that Brits tend to be too emotionally repressed. The way you stated this problem is just a scream!

My ancestors left Malvern in 1725 for the U.S. state of Virginia, so we are a bit removed from the British scene, but still try to keep up with happenings there.

I read some of the early posts on this thread and agree 100% that prices for everything are too high in the UK. You have our total sympathy. And with your generally deplorable weather, it is easy to understand why so many of our families left the UK. But we still love visiting your country, and folks tend to be nice to us when we are there. Cheerio for now!

KateB:

This is a hilarious post! Having been born in the US, I can identify with other folks thinking that Americans let it all hang out too much, and that Brits tend to be too emotionally repressed. The way you stated this problem is just a scream!

My ancestors left Malvern in 1725 for the U.S. state of Virginia, so we are a bit removed from the British scene, but still try to keep up with happenings there.

I read some of the early posts on this thread and agree 100% that prices for everything are too high in the UK. You have our total sympathy. And with your generally deplorable weather, it is easy to understand why so many of our families left the UK. But we still love visiting your country, and folks tend to be nice to us when we are there. Cheerio for now!

Just trying to lighten the mood :wink:

Although I've just seen the figures for the increase in Royal Mail prices so feel mighty peeved. Seriously, this country is ridiculous. We won't be able to afford to have lives soon. I mean, come on, you spend your life paying tax and then when you're dead and inheritance tax kicks in, they tax you again!!!

It seems as if such high tax burdens really hurt folks with hobbies, such as Lego. Most of us buy our toys with what is left over after paying for the basics. So if there is nothing left over, there is not much of a hobby purchase left.

For those of us with enough or too much Lego, we can still build to our heart's content. But I do pity those just starting out trying to collect enough Lego to build a decent sized MOC. And with postal prices increasing everywhere, this hurts BL and eBay purchases in a big way.

Maybe we should contemplate encouraging folks who own a lot of Lego to sell their spares to newer collectors for lower prices. But then we would have to decide which pieces we won't need anytime soon, and that is impossible not knowing what we will be building in the future.

Hello from sunny Scotland,all is well up here:nice weather,no hose pipe ban's and a referendum......

Hello from shitty England, where freedom and tolerance is dead on it's feet and all the people are too spoon fed by a government controlled media to notice and where the wheather sucks and where the only thing anyone seems to care about is football and where in a country that does not stop raining there's talk about hosepipe bans and where the government in power is the ones the vast majority did not vote for and where i'm stuck working my butt off working stupidly long hours whilst Beyonce is the only person played on the radio singing about how crap I am because I happen to be male and where the pay is taxed so that those who can't be bothered to work can bang out a few kids and claim benefits. Long live England, by that I mean I hope it f5$k£&g sinks!

Only kidding, they play alot of Adele on the radio too!

Edited by allanp

Hello from shitty England, where freedom and tolerance is dead on it's feet and all the people are too spoon fed by a government controlled media to notice and where the wheather sucks and where the only thing anyone seems to care about is football and where in a country that does not stop raining there's talk about hosepipe bans and where the government in power is the ones the vast majority did not vote for and where i'm stuck working my butt off working stupidly long hours whilst Beyonce is the only person played on the radio singing about how crap I am because I happen to be male and where the pay is taxed so that those who can't be bothered to work can bang out a few kids and claim benefits. Long live England, by that I mean I hope it f5$k£&g sinks!

Only kidding, they play alot of Adele on the radio too!

Now that's a good rant, couldn't have said it better myself!

Ah self loathing and hatred of the rest of the UK, as well as talks about the weather, who says we are emotionally repressed?

I could go on with more rants, but I don't feel the need. You've said a lot, although there is more. Still, isn't it funny in a way that if anybody else insults the UK most of us will defend it, but we'll insult it ourselves? :wink:

Saying about it raining all the time, I live in Essex and for a solid two weeks there was not a drop of rain.

Saying about it raining all the time, I live in Essex and for a solid two weeks there was not a drop of rain.

Hail in West Yorkshire yesterday, for a lot of the day :sceptic:, I miss Summer.

Hail in West Yorkshire yesterday, for a lot of the day :sceptic:, I miss Summer.

Hail?! Proves how different the weather can be even within the same county! In Leeds it was okay until about 5:15pm when it peed it down. Just as I was walking home from work too, nice :hmpf_bad:

It's raining in Essex now! Gone all very dark, I have to put the lights on at 3:23! What is this devilry?

It's raining in Essex now! Gone all very dark, I have to put the lights on at 3:23! What is this devilry?

Tell me about it. over here in Bury St Edmunds we even have small amounts of hail. :sceptic:

Edited by The Joker1

Tell me about it. over here in Bury St Edmunds we even have small amounts of hail. :sceptic:

Wow, no hail here at all. Sun's come out again though.

EDIT: My dad came home and said that it was hail. Oops.

EDIT2: As of 17:18PM it's hailing heavily.

Edited by Calanon

Not ALL people on benefits are scroungers. Though the gub'ment seems to be treating everyone as a fraudster regardless of ability or inability to work. Then appoints a fraudulent organisation - A4e (or Action For Employment) - to handle the back to work scheme for those with limited capabilities. The dept. for work and pensions are so bound up with red tape and regulations that they can't process claims efficiently. And while I agree that freeloading is rife I do find it unsavoury the way people are being treated with a distinct lack of care and simply assigned to demographic statistics.

I know several people with mental and/or physical handicaps who have been almost vilified by the 'system'. Instead of the 'system' helping them it's just made life worse for them. All while the rich avoid paying income tax and fiddling their expenses and taking huge salary bonuses for doing sweet f a.

We should remember that the reason so many are unemployed is because successive gub'ments since the 1960's have failed to support British industry thus resulting in the death of professions many unemployed were skilled for. The middle East, eastern Europe and China are now the largest employers in this kingdom and they favour automation over manual labour. David Cameron's urge that people should get into self employment and small businesses is inherently flawed because small businesses cannot compete and are doomed to fail. resulting in more loan and mortgage default and more unemployment. More homelessness. More drain on the benefit system. The Olympics is a lead balloon just as the Millennium dome was. Sure it's nice to have large sporting events but while people starve it's a kick in the face to the unfortunates. Just like the pointless high speed rail plans. Nobody needs a 200 mph train, what they need are decent local transport and a health service that works. Investment in ailing industries. A sense that the elected ministers actually care about the subjects of Britain rather than sorting out their own bank accounts and feathering their second and third home nests.

What's wrong with Britain is not Joe public. It's the idiots in power across all parties. Choose wisely and carefully come the local elections this May. Our future might actually depend on it. :sadnew:

Yet, who to choose? It is hard to accurately judge politicians until they come into power. Which is a big problem.

What is really needed is the people of the UK to do something. Sadly we cannot do much just sitting here and talking about it. Yet, what can we do? There must be something.

Encourage people who say they don't or won't vote to get off their arses and go and use their vote. There's no point having what we call a democracy if people don't take an active role in it. Voting may seem like a pointless gesture but if all the lost votes were actually cast it might change the dynamics of government.

I can understand that and I do not dispute that. Personally there's something I dislike about all of the parties, none seem keen enough to push for more nuclear power.