• 1 - Poor
    • 2 - Below Average
    • 3 - Average
    • 4 - Above Average
    • 5 - Outstanding

thindexedgif.gif

approvedgold_v2_50.png

Hello everyone,

Once again, I am here in the Pirates den to continue my reviewing journey on the LEGO Pirates of the Caribbean (POTC). Amazingly, this theme has brought quite much enjoyment into my LEGO collection with those beautiful minifigures. Actually, I haven't bought all of the sets yet, but I hope to complete them soon, so I can arrange all of the characters altogether, especially the unique Jack Sparrow.

In this review, I will like to specially mention and credit to Captain Jack Sparrow’s Blog since I have utilise a couple quotes for mine image captions. This blog provides a comprehensive listing of the famous quotes by Captain Jack Sparrow which is acted by Johnny Depp. I am sure you will find it familiar. :grin:

Name: Jack Sparrow's boat

Theme: LEGO System / Pirates of the Caribbean

Year: 2011

Pieces: 22

Minifigs: 1

Price: USD N.A, GBP N.A, SGD N.A

Resources: Brickset, BrickLink

An original polybag image of the 30131 Jack Sparrow's boat

1%7E26.jpg

Back view of the original polybag image of the 30131 Jack Sparrow's boat

2%7E26.jpg

"This is not my vessel. My vessel is magnificent, and fierce and huge-ish and gone. Why is it gone?"

10%7E20.jpg

This is one of the highly sought polybags in the POTC range. It first appeared in the recent distribution of The Sun Newspaper Promotion in May 2011. Despite of its limited availability, many UK citizens managed to grab hold of this precious polybag.

Why are there many of us crazy about this? Yes, I am also one of them who is crazy about this too. First of all, it is one of the most affordable in terms of pricing to get yourself in touch with this new pricey LEGO theme. At the same time, it comes with an incredible Jack Sparrow minifigure with a decent boat and accessories which will be explained in latter sections below.

Instruction Leaflet

3%7E25.jpg

This dual page leaflet shows the steps to build up Jack Sparrow's boat, while on the other side of the leaflet shows the overview of the LEGO POTC posters. You can use these similar parts to construct your own boat too.

Laying out the content

5%7E26.jpg

There are a total of 22 parts inside this polybag and all of which are useful parts in my definition. These are the most notable minifigure accessories which can be used for other purposes. For myself, I love the rum bottle! Too bad, it didn't comes with a extra bottle, otherwise I am sure it will increase my rating further. With regards to spare parts, it only comes with an additional cutlass.

"I think we’ve all arrived at a very special place. Spiritually, ecumenically, grammatically"

7%7E22.jpg

To be honest, this Jack Sparrow minifigure is definitely mine favourite so far! Simply because, it comes with the tricorne hat as it is meant to represent "Captain" of his beloved "Black Pearl". Oh well, it was not long until he was unmake as Captain by Barbossa. :devil:

This minifigure comes with back printing and the tricone hat cannot be separated away from its hairpiece. You might also want to know that, even this minifigure was made available in 4 different LEGO sets and are also classified in the higher price tier with the exception of this polybag.

"Got it! Come to negotiate, eh? Have you, you slimy git? Look what I got"

15%7E11.jpg

Not too hard to assemble the base of this boat

9%7E21.jpg

There you are. This is the simple brick built of the boat. It is not like any other regular rowboat which we are familiar with. When I first saw this design, it immediately reminds me of this 1752 Castle Boat with armor set. Don't you think both are quite similar to one another?

Different views of Jack Sparrow's priceless boat

11%7E17.jpg

Take a moment to enjoy these savvy shots. This is a very nice looking brick built boat. It is simple, yet presented in such a lovely manner especially with those tiny white sails. At one point, I really wish it comes with oars, but as I recall, I vaguely remembered that Jack actually threw those oars away to make space for more rums! Now then, where are those rums, my friend? :laugh:

"I love those moments. I like to wave at them as they pass by."

13%7E12.jpg

"Why should I side with any of you? Four of you have tried to kill me in the past… one of you succeeded."

14%7E13.jpg

To conclude, I totally enjoyed this set! My only complain is I wish it comes with an additional rum bottle but that is not a huge problem. What I was impressed, was the fact that it was given limited parts count, and the designer actually managed to illustrate and put together a pretty impressive looking boat which is very true to the actual movie scene. Most of the time, you don't get such nice design for a LEGO polybag. This is definitely one of the rare exceptions in my context. :thumbup:

Summary review

Playability: 9/10 (Pretty fun to play around with all of the other sets or you can use it for other mates.)

Design: 10/10 (No complain from me at all. I am truly satisfied with it.)

Price: 8/10 (Quite expensive and not widely available.)

Overall: 9/10 (An outstanding polybag and a "MUST" have for all POTC lovers.)

I gave it a "5" based on my Review Score Card. :pir-wink: What about yours?

Hope everyone of you enjoyed reading this simple review of mine. Comments and Critics are strongly welcomed.

Pictures can be found in My Flickr and My Brickshelf (When moderated)

Lovely review, Fangy! :wub: Great pics - the new camera is living up to expectations :wink:

I agree this is a great promotional set. It was the only one of the Sun promotion that I was able to get in a reasonable quantity, and it's the best of the bunch in my opinion.

Once again, I am here in the Pirates den to continue my reviewing journey on the LEGO Pirates of the Caribbean (POTC).

Welcome back dear sir!

For such a small set you've managed to produce a bloody remarkable review! There is so much useful content, you've obviously gone through with a proverbial finetooth comb and meticullously analysed every aspect of set - from polybag to rum bottle!

I've already ordered 3 of these so this time I didn't need a review to sway me. Lets see how I feel about the set when they arrive.

Fantastic review whitefang, I love your coverage of such a tiny set, this is in my collection but I'll save a review of my own for a later date.

Another great review! thanks for sharing.

I was about to make a review of this set too :pir_laugh2:

One way of getting the Jack Sparrow minifig with the hat without buying the larger PofC sets (London Escape, Whitecap Bay, and QAR)

I agree with you that this is an awesome set!

Too bad we don't get it cheaply with a newspaper here in the Netherlands. As far as I know you only get one when you buy another, expensive set.

Still, when you're lucky you can get it cheaply and it's just a nice set with Jack and the bottle as highlights.

Thanks for the review. I'll put it in the index :pir-classic:

Thank you guys! Yo Hoho! That's a Pirate life for me. :pir_laugh2:

Lovely review, Fangy! :wub: Great pics - the new camera is living up to expectations :wink:

I agree this is a great promotional set. It was the only one of the Sun promotion that I was able to get in a reasonable quantity, and it's the best of the bunch in my opinion.

Yes, it is definitely one of the best in that whole bunch! Loving my new camera too. :pir-blush:

Welcome back dear sir!

For such a small set you've managed to produce a bloody remarkable review! There is so much useful content, you've obviously gone through with a proverbial finetooth comb and meticullously analysed every aspect of set - from polybag to rum bottle!

I've already ordered 3 of these so this time I didn't need a review to sway me. Lets see how I feel about the set when they arrive.

Thank you Mister Phes! Your insight is very much appreciated. So glad to know that you have also gotten some for yourself. I really hope this polybag also live up to your expectations!

Fantastic review whitefang, I love your coverage of such a tiny set, this is in my collection but I'll save a review of my own for a later date.

Looks like we are going to take turns to review one another, like what I "plan" to do for the miniature Black Pearl. :pir_laugh2:

I was about to make a review of this set too :pir_laugh2:

One way of getting the Jack Sparrow minifig with the hat without buying the larger PofC sets (London Escape, Whitecap Bay, and QAR)

Indeed. Those sets are definitely much costly to own.

I agree with you that this is an awesome set!

Too bad we don't get it cheaply with a newspaper here in the Netherlands. As far as I know you only get one when you buy another, expensive set.

Still, when you're lucky you can get it cheaply and it's just a nice set with Jack and the bottle as highlights.

Thanks for the review. I'll put it in the index :pir-classic:

Thank you for the index. I still hope this will be widely available again,

Nice... love the two sided face. None of my Jacks has the tricorner hat, either.

I would love to trade someone for one or two of these.

I had expected this to be like the setting at the end of "At World's End," where he's in the little boat heading out in search for Aqua de Vida, but he had a map. Thanks to the review, I notice the bottle is not "the" bottle, but just a bottle. It's a really nice little set.

I had expected this to be like the setting at the end of "At World's End," where he's in the little boat heading out in search for Aqua de Vida, but he had a map. Thanks to the review, I notice the bottle is not "the" bottle, but just a bottle. It's a really nice little set.

Yes! It will be even wonderful if he had the circular rotating map or even the printed compass in there. I am sure with these small little attributes in there, will sure make all of us feel more excited than before. :pir_laugh2:

"The" bottle is not just like any other bottle. It is filled with rum and rum is good for you. :pir-blush:

It is filled with rum and rum is good for you. :pir-blush:

It is? Woo-hoo! :drunk:

This has to be one of the best promo sets I've seen. It's a nice little model with plenty of details, and has kept my kids pirate-happy for hours!

Great review White Fang, although I almost had a coughing fit at your "unique" Jack Sparrow, until I read the bit about the tricorner hat, and then it was like, "yeah, you're right!"... Hopefully they'll use it something other than a promotional set...

Thanks WhiteFang for this great little review :pir-grin:

I really like this polybag set it has Jack a boat and a rum bottle very nice. I hope we get more of these promotional polybags like maybe the Target promos from Kingdoms etc.

too bad it was a limited distro in the UK. (isn't worth the $10 aftermarket price)

Edited by Macoco