Sign in to follow this  
Brickdoctor

[MOC] 74-Z Speeder Bike

gallery_101_23_281.gif

5798476557_7a1560c7cb_b.jpg

It's been far too long since I did a Star Wars MOC, I think. I've had this one half-built lying around for a few months, now. I would've loved to do this in brown, but, unfortunately, the tooth pieces, which I consider a very important element of the shaping of this model, don't come in Brown or Reddish Brown, so I settled for a white Hoth edition. (for now) The other major change I made was the steering vanes; I abandoned the inaccurate triangle sign pieces for these.

On another note, I think I like the reflection of the model better than the shadow I usually put there.

5799024918_40b6506782_b.jpg

I think the tooth pieces make the back look a lot better than the cheese slopes I used on my last design of this vehicle.

5799024982_6b84332afb_b.jpg

5799025042_ebdabb60ab_b.jpg

From this angle you can clearly see the new steering vane arrangement. Much more fragile but also much more accurate.

5798476797_82cf84eb52_b.jpg

I took a shot on black as well; it's (obviously) easier to see the white details on the black background. Can't decide which I like better.

Finished May 2011. Thanks for looking; C&C welcome. :classic:

Excellent 74-Z Doc! I love the compact design and how you ditched the triangle sign pieces for the more accurate 1x1+1x2 tile set-up for the steering vanes. Nice reflection effect too, though I like the one in the black background better. And where's the signature Aurebesh text on your opening pic? Great job overall nevertheless! :thumbup:

Nice reflection effect too, though I like the one in the black background better. And where's the signature Aurebesh text on your opening pic? Great job overall nevertheless! :thumbup:

I think overall I liked the black one as well, but the white is a much cleaner look and there are a lot of black important details that were hard to see in the black pic. As for the Aurebesh, I actually stopped using that in November 2010, I believe; with the VVulture Droid being the first SW MOC without it. I wanted a simpler look for my pics.

Wow, great MOC! I also think the black background looks better for this one than the white. And I like the soft, faint reflection below.

Good idea ditching the sign; I'll have to do that on mine. Have you thought about using a tooth piece for the lower, forward pointing part of the steering vane, with a 1x2 tile attached over it (on the outside), pointing up? When I take a really close look at the photos on Wookieepedia, it appears that there are two separate pieces per side (so four total steering vanes).

AFOLs such as Brickdoctor who go out of their way to create stunning MOCs that are both visually appealing and reasonably accurate, I think, are part of what keeps the fanbase alive!

The sheer sleekness of this creation is amazing. I didn't think it was possible to make a LEGO 74-Z any sleeker, but you've done it. The loss in bulk that the tooth pieces allow looks great, and there no longer exist gaps in the rear portion, which is a big improvement in such a small model.

The only major point I would address is the lack of the prominent cone-shaped structure on the right side of the craft (which both Larry Lars and Praiter Yed had successfuly incorporated into their designs). Your design is so compact, though, that I can't say I can think of a way to include it in a way that looks good (at least until I can see the construction in the centre more clearly).

Overall, a very good MOC indeed. :thumbup:

Great MOC! I can't wait for lego to make the brown tooth pieces, so that I can see the endor version. But I must say this one is great. It looks very sleek and I think you can't improve it much. Oh and, I like the picture with the black better. Btw your phottoshop skills are great aswell. These pictures are stunning! And a great looking photo will let the MOC look even better.

Edited by Blackknight112

Such a nice MOC! Perfectly detailed and VERY accurate. Great job!

An Endor version would be even better I guess, you should include this little beauty into a nice vignette.

By the way; are the parts where the biker actually grasps the steering handles the same pieces as the lightsaber blade, but in black and cut off?

Great MOC if i didn't know it was an MOC i would say that it was an original design by LEGO.

And i love the pictures.

Edited by P4trickvH

Really nice 74-Z! I think the bit where the feet rest on is really nice, much better than the official LEGO one. Also a good use for those screwdrivers too.

As always, a great MOC from Brickdoctor. I like the techniques you have used in the build. However the two grey clips could do with being black or white. I'm not to big a fan of the split leg thing because it reduces playability, but the speeder does look very accurate, and quite nice.

Have you thought about using a tooth piece for the lower, forward pointing part of the steering vane, with a 1x2 tile attached over it (on the outside), pointing up? When I take a really close look at the photos on Wookieepedia, it appears that there are two separate pieces per side (so four total steering vanes).

That was actually my original design, but it looked to bulky.

The only major point I would address is the lack of the prominent cone-shaped structure on the right side of the craft (which both Larry Lars and Praiter Yed had successfuly incorporated into their designs). Your design is so compact, though, that I can't say I can think of a way to include it in a way that looks good (at least until I can see the construction in the centre more clearly).

Yeah, unfortunately, my design at this point does not allow me to do that, in part because my rider's legs angle forwards instead of backwards, though I did put the intake in the center. But I'm working on it.

By the way; are the parts where the biker actually grasps the steering handles the same pieces as the lightsaber blade, but in black and cut off?

They should be cut black flex tubing, but I don't have any at the moment, so I took a bar that I broke a few years ago and cut that down to size. Pretend it's flex tubing. :grin:

However the two grey clips could do with being black or white.

White made it look like the plating was deformed, black made the connections look too big, so I took some creative license and went with grey. :blush:

Nice design there. I think that it looks better on a white background, as it is camouflaged like it's supposed to be.

That's a really sweet and sleek speeder bike - the tooth pieces work really well :thumbup: . I agree with Mr Man about leg removal causing reduced playability but for a display model or part of a diorama that's not an issue.

Regarding your photos, I prefer the white background.

Hello!

A very accurate version of the snowtrooper speeder-bike. I think the biker has a better focus on the image with black background. The mirror effects are more appealing there, too. :classic:

The constructions features sveral unusual clip-connections, and I guess it's pretty tricky to align the pieces correctly for the photo, especially for your selfmade corner tile in thr front. :wink:

Cheers,

~ Christopher

The constructions features sveral unusual clip-connections, and I guess it's pretty tricky to align the pieces correctly for the photo, especially for your selfmade corner tile in thr front. :wink:

Indeed. This was a pain to keep in one position. My last version had the steering vanes attached to each other, but this one doesn't, leaving the vanes and their rods free to rotate.