gallery_6705_157_17796.png

5786554833_70be0eb686_z.jpg

Number - 6370

Name – Weekend Home

Theme – Classic Town; Subtheme – Leisure

Year – 1985

Minifigs – 2

Pieces – 187

Price – original selling price unknown but likely GB £6 – GB £7. Bought for GB £23.50 on e-bay. *huh* (It was a present.) Only sold once through BrickLink (April 2011) for £3.26 Used (unknown condition). On 9 wish lists on BrickLink and wanted by 338 people on Brickset.

Links: Brickset, BrickLink, Peeron.

Spring has sprung and summer is hot on its heels. With the advent of better weather, it’s time for our minifigs to get back to nature and enjoy some leisure time on their weekends, and where better to spend that time than in the: 6370 Weekend Home!

The Box

This set was purchased used and without box from e-bay, so in lieu of a 360° degree overview, the best we have is a small picture of the box as a whole from BrickLink. According to BrickLink its dimensions are 31.5x19x4.75cm, so a reasonably sized box, but not particularly big. It is bright and colourful, and emblazoned with the LEGOLAND logo - the classification used before the sets became LEGO System. Brickset list a picture of the instructions, rather than a picture of the box itself.

6370-1.gif

The Instructions

I received the instruction booklet, which is often lost in second-hand boxless sets of this age, and it is in reasonably good condition, despite a little crunkling at the bottom left and top right. The picture on the front is a cropped version of the set as a whole, with pictures of the minifigs underneath, and a diagram to indicate how to put a minifigs together. Just in case it isn’t blindingly obvious.

5786315796_1c6f981559_z.jpg

There are no part call-outs for the build, rather a sequence of “spot-the-difference” pictures that are easy enough to follow. For the beginning of the build, stud counting to ensure the basis is correct seems a little trickier on the eyes than in more recent sets. There are brief instructions on placing some specific parts and the placing of stickers is mostly left to the builder’s own logic and reason, unlike building the minifigs.

The first double-page spread of instructions covers the ground floor, which is mostly red bricks with some doors and large windows and the details for the kitchen.

5786316940_2655efe4fe_z.jpg

The second double-page spread tops off the ground floor and starts the basis for the first floor, with the addition of furniture. Once again, the minifig is set in place and the building constructed around her, as with her fella on the floor below.

5786318300_4e613d695d_z.jpg

The third and last double-page spread then adds in the bold blue roof and the skylight windows. Here the pictures are larger making it a little easier to see where to place elements at the back of the roof. Unlike more modern sets, the pictures are always seen from the front, with no swivelly icon and rear picture to indicate to turn the model around and build that way.

5785765713_c99408852b_z.jpg

The very back page shows the completed build, with an inset indicating how to piece together the lamp post and a charming weekend scene.

5786320530_5597a8128e_z.jpg

The Stickers

Again, this was something lost in the mists of time along with the box, however the majority of stickers had already been applied (reasonably well) thus removing any fear of applying them. The only sticker missing from the parts I received was the “picture” sticker (top right) which is the only one to be applied across more than one element. I can only speculate, given that there is no residual evidence of a sticker on those parts, that the original owner was also unwilling to stick across bricks and therefore that sticker is still attached to the original sticker sheet. Wherever that may be. The picture is from BrickLink:

6370stk01.jpg

The Parts

I must stress at this point, these are the parts I received from the seller, and unfortunately they do not exactly match those listed in the parts on BrickLink, nor those seen in the instruction booklet. More on that later, for now I’ve tried to split the parts into colour groups – there is a 16x32 green baseplate:

5785760961_04f8a96a0b_z.jpg

A reasonable selection of red bricks and plates, mostly for the ground floor. They are a little grubby, and they are someone else’s’ grubby at that. :sick: Not the best feature of classic LEGO.

5786321372_bf1ec11b69_z.jpg

There’s a good amount of blue slopes, which, as one might expect, form the roof, and a few bricks for the first floor walls and a couple of cupboards – one of which is stickered to be the oven. As far as I can tell, this is the only set with the oven sticker, and the stickered door (not including the cupboard) is currently available on BrickLink for between GB £1.96 and GB £ 3.93 and is on 6 wishlists. :wacko:

5785768451_7287b492cb_z.jpg

The yellow, black and white pieces are more for detailing and furnishing the house. Note the frying pan and the two white mugs, which are pleasant enough for adding detail, however they are far from rare.

5786322972_4de999ab26_z.jpg

The set comes with a good number of windows and doors, given its small size. The stickers had already been applied on mine and the “glass” of the windows was quite badly scratched. The three smaller windows open, but the floor-length panes are fixed.

5786323676_2a01f79892_z.jpg

To add external details and give a nice, relaxing countryside feel, there are some greenery parts (trees and flowers :wub:) and a bicycle. The parts list on BrickLink and the instructions show a red bicycle but I received a black one, which I don’t really mind given that it’s a good colour, and ever so slightly rarer than a red one (not that either are particularly rare).

5786324276_b58f8841ed_z.jpg

The Minifigs

The couple spending their weekend in this little house are a coordinating couple who like to wear different shades of the same clothes, which makes me want to name them “Howard” and “Hilda” after a similar couple in a distinctly unfunny sitcom of the same era. Those of you with eagle-eyes may also have spotted that something dreadful has happened to Howard’s right hand, in that it is now white rather than yellow. Again I must make assumptions: that he had had an unfortunate accident with a meat-grinder and his previous owner took it upon themselves to restore him with a hand transplant. How kind.

5786324626_cb87482115.jpg5786324916_34d9038936.jpg

A brief further note on the parts. As mentioned this was a second-hand purchase, and you can’t always tell what you’ve got until you get your hands on it. According to BrickLink, there were supposed to be four of these 2x8 blue slopes:

5787079342_5fbdc40bf8.jpg

But as you can see there are only two. The seller had instead replaced those missing parts with these 2x4 blue slopes:

5787080150_624341393f.jpg

They also neglected to supply a white 2x3 plate which forms the top of the dressing table upstairs, however, to make up for all that (and the fact that everything is grubby) I ended up with an extra one of these:

5787080336_b28e1266a2_m.jpg

Lucky me. :sceptic:

The Build

The build itself is simple enough, and the red bricks and blue slopes grow around the minifigures to form a quaint little country cottage. An overall view of the front of the house shows the outside Bar-B-Que, greenery and lamp post. You can also see the dreadful condition of the far right ground floor window – it is scratched beyond belief.

5787082522_2a8f6b43a6_z.jpg

Here you can see the Bar-B-Que slightly better. I’m assuming it is a Bar-B-Que and not a fireplace as it is situated outside, but it does look more like a fireplace to me. The bicycle has a trans-yellow stud attached to form a head-lamp.

5787088312_e5bc8d47f2_z.jpg

From this angle you can see the Bar-B-Que is tucked in front of a short wall, forming a small front garden. It’s surprising to find a lamp-post in someone’s front garden in the countryside, but it adds another detail, and I’d rather have it than not.

5787089262_5e123cee58_z.jpg

The view from this side shows the outdoor table and chairs with a solitary coffee mug, and a good view of the kitchen through the far left window. Once again it is evident how appallingly scratched some of the windows are; the ghostly figure at the upstairs window is not a Poltergeist, but actually Hilda, sat at her dressing table.

5787083848_d1cd29eae1_z.jpg

The left side view shows another window in the kitchen, which makes a nice detail, and here you can see more vividly how the ground floor is red and first floor is blue. You can just about see Howard through the window, but we’ll find out what he’s up to shortly.

5787084954_bd02817ce2_z.jpg

The back view shows the interior, which is furnished. Downstairs Howard is sitting at the dining table, lit by a lamp, and upstairs Hilda sits at her dressing table. I say downstairs and upstairs, but as with many LEGO sets, there are no stairs. :hmpf_bad: Howard and Hilda move about their house by the power of levitation, the hand of God, or by climbing up the brickwork.

There is an attractive archway upstairs leading to a solitary and simply built bed. It doesn’t quite seem big enough for the both of them though, assuming more than one of them can actually get to it.

5787086134_9c898c7512_z.jpg

The view of the bed through the archway is pleasant, and makes me appreciate the archway even if it is a very small architectural detail.

5787089742_192d1766ee.jpg

The back, seen from a different view, shows the built in cupboard above (the back of the cupboard forms part of the roof section) and the kitchen below. Here you can see the much coveted stickered oven door, with an open fronted cabinet next to it for the storage of another solitary coffee mug. The frying pan helps, with the oven sticker, to mark this out as a kitchen, but this is before the days of trans-orange studs and black grills used to make a hob. The many windows give the interior a light and airy feel, making it a relaxing home ideal for the weekend.

5786531517_78a3bfc41d_z.jpg

Conclusion

Design 9/10 this is Classic Town and very much a Classic Town design with the solid front and open back. Spreading the house into effectively four quarters but keeping it open-plan gives the home a bright and breezy feel, whilst still retaining separate and distinguishable areas. The open back, latterly replaced in sets by hinged walls, allows full access to the admittedly limited play features. The colours are true Classic Town too, and the differentiation between red for ground floor and blue for first floor work better than a single uniform colour would, given the colours that were available at the time.

Parts 7/10 the bicycle, though not rare now, was only introduced in 1985 and this would have been one of the first sets to include it, making it a piece of interest for its time, and a bicycle is always useful. Similarly the frying pan had only appeared in 710 Universal Building Set in 1983 before its return in 1985. The oven front, as mentioned in the introduction, is still desired today. Overall, there aren’t a huge number of interesting parts, but that’s perhaps not why someone would but it today.

Build 7/10 nothing is difficult or fiddly and nothing is repetitive. The building comes together quickly and satisfyingly.

Minifigs 8/10 they are a pair of true Classic Townies, with coordinating jumpers. Both torsos are seen (like the rest of the minifig parts) in a number of sets, although this is the only set in which they appear together. Howard’s red stripy torso was last seen in 6314 City People in 1992, but Hilda’s blue stripy torso was last seen in 1991 in 9354 Town Street Theme which was a LEGO Education & Dacta set.

Playability 8/10 with easy access at the back of the build, and a variety of possible scenes within the house itself, there’s a reasonable amount for kids to play with, even though there are no play features per se. The bicycle is mildly “swooshable”, and the outside Bar-B-Que, although lacking in any Bar-B-Que-able items, adds to the outdoor fun.

Price I’m going to leave this unrated. Clearly this cost more than the going rate, but that’s based on the price of only one set sold on BrickLink, with no further sets for sale. At the time of release it probably represented good value for money, but as the exact initial price is unclear, that is merely speculation.

Overall

If you want your Town minifigs to have an abode, these days you can only really purchase a new one through the CREATOR line, the last true Town abode being 2010's 8403 City House. At the time this set was released, a lot of Town was about families and habitation, which is not really so much the case these days. There are features here which crop up in modern sets, such as the Bar-B-Que - which has been reinvented and modernised both for 5771 Hillside House and City House, and the multitude of windows and skylights, which also appear in both sets. This is a charming little weekend cottage, full of fresh air and wholesome goodness and it would make a sweet little addition to any Classic Town.

And as Howard stares glumly at the dining table, and Hilda stares despondently at her dressing table..

5787091740_9a60d61819.jpg5786577603_0aa2e1c648.jpg

They both decide that a good ride in the country is much more fun!

5787092736_e55b47d194.jpg

Thanks for reading, for High-Res images here’s a link to my

flickr

thank you for the nice review! it's always a pleasure to refresh our memory with old sets!

have a nice lego day

mrBlue

Thanks for the review, Pandora. It's really rich of good pictures, showing the many classic town features and details of the house. I think it's a very attractive set, which I would like to have for my town. - But it's really a shame the windows are so scratched. :cry_sad: I have never seen something like that. Many of my windows are also scratched, but not like that.

It's amazing to see that a whole house can be built with just 15 drawings. It's hard to imagine it would be the case nowadays :wink:

Thanks 'Pandora' for this cool review of such a cute classic town set....oh, dam those dark years of mine ! :cry_sad:

The only good thing about modern sets is there is a difference between male and female figures. :wink:

Plus the only thing missing from the house is a bathroom. :wink:

Brick On everyone ! :grin:

Thanks for an entertaining read. :sweet: I'm not sure the male inhabitant actually had an accident, it might be Michael Jackson trying to enjoy a quiet vacation. The place is a little cramped and the bed doesn't look too spacey either, so I can understand they're going for a bike tour at the end of the review. :wink:

This set doesn't really give me nostalgic feelings some other classic town sets give me, probably because I focused on Castle instead of Town around the time this came out. And without the nostalgia, this set doesn't really stand out for me. I'm kind of glad it's up to the Creator line nowadays to fill the residential areas in today's table towns, as that at least gives us four walls and a full roof on most buildings. Although I must say I miss the (interior) detailing and the accessories that these town sets used to offer.

And yes, there really are some drawbacks to buying second-hand classic town sets. Unfortunately, not everyone cares about cleanliness or an adequate parts inventory. :sceptic:

Classic town! :sweet:

One more brilliant review of yours, thanks Pandora! Your photos are really beautiful for one more time (the diagonal perspective looks great) and I sure enjoyed reading your detailed comments and remarks.

This is a set that brings back warm memories. It was one of the sets I wanted to get during my childhood but never got the change - at least a cousin of mine had it in his possession and I had a fun time building it and playing with it. It's colourful, it has some very nice small details and although that the overall exterior design looks simple it still looks charming and it instantly gives the impression of a small weekend "hideout", especially if we take into consideration the year released.

Btw, I was really surprised when I exited my dark ages and read that it only had 187 pieces while I was searching for classic town sets in Bricklink. I could've sworn that it consisted of more pieces, that number just seemed too small. (This is what happens when you grow up I guess. :blush:)

Thanks for the great review, Pandora!

This is a really nice set, considering how old it is. It's got some really nice features, like the cooker and the BBQ. It's a little plain, but it's still a lovely model. I just wish that TLG would come away from the repetitive Police/Fire/Harbour (not that they don't have good sets) subthemes, and go back to a nice civilian orientated subtheme for a while.

Thanks again!

Thank you for the review.

For some reason, your pictures evoke different emotions from me than that of a tranquil country home.

I see a couple that recently had a miscarriage and went to the country to privately grieve. There is tension in the air as each one tries to put on a brave face for the other. The husband's hand is bandaged after punching a mirror in frustration. The wife blames herself for focusing so much on her career when she was younger. Eventually, they both realize they still have each other and decide to go on a bike ride, recreating their first date.

Beautiful review, Pandora!

I adore these kind of classic town sets. While all of the creator houses are fantastic, and the recent City House was nice, I still find that they lack the charm of these older homes. Some of the alternate builds for the creator houses come close, but they often still lack the open backs of classics like this. In any case, I must say that I'm grateful for the current steady releases of houses to help expand our towns.

Thanks again for the lovely review of this wonderful set! :wub:

Lovely review, Pandora.

I like the old classic open back and simplicity of leaving more to person's imagination during play.

Thank you very much everyone for your comments, they make for very interesting reading! :sweet:

Plus the only thing missing from the house is a bathroom. :wink:

There never seems to be a a bathroom, but they've at least got a tree! :wink:

And yes, there really are some drawbacks to buying second-hand classic town sets. Unfortunately, not everyone cares about cleanliness or an adequate parts inventory. :sceptic:

Thanks Rick :wub: It really is a case of "buyer beware". :sceptic:

Btw, I was really surprised when I exited my dark ages and read that it only had 187 pieces while I was searching for classic town sets in Bricklink. I could've sworn that it consisted of more pieces, that number just seemed too small. (This is what happens when you grow up I guess. :blush:)

Thanks Zorbas! :sweet: This would have seemed like a massive set if I'd had it when I was younger. :laugh:

For some reason, your pictures evoke different emotions from me than that of a tranquil country home.

I see a couple that recently had a miscarriage and went to the country to privately grieve. There is tension in the air as each one tries to put on a brave face for the other. The husband's hand is bandaged after punching a mirror in frustration. The wife blames herself for focusing so much on her career when she was younger. Eventually, they both realize they still have each other and decide to go on a bike ride, recreating their first date.

I must be honest here, Arigomi, and say that I do find your story quite macabre, however the beauty of LEGO and indeed Classic Town, is that each individual can project whichever story they would like, and indeed different stories for different occasions, so it is interesting to read how you view it, thank you. :classic:

I must be honest here, Arigomi, and say that I do find your story quite macabre, however the beauty of LEGO and indeed Classic Town, is that each individual can project whichever story they would like, and indeed different stories for different occasions, so it is interesting to read how you view it, thank you. :classic:

I think I've been watching too many depressing TV dramas. :laugh: Those scratched windows and the spooky silhouettes that the minifig cast in them was part of the inspiration.

Fantastic review, I love the detailed discussion on the used pieces, that's a big thing with really old sets, and normally that's just looked over.

Great review of a lovely set, I'm too young to have had these sets, but have searched eBay and have my eye on a few, they seem really nice and have a certain charm about them.. :wub:

Lol!

Its quite funny to think of 1980's era minifigs having 'normal' lives with all the attendant issues (but bless them, they are still smiling through the tears).

Great review. By the time this set came out I was only playing with Lego covertly, and would soon enter my Dark Ages (from which I have yet to properly emerge). I would have liked this set for its useful roof slopes and skylights. And those oh-so-naff (by today's standards) Val Doonican sweaters on the minifigs.

Thank you for the nice review!

That's the problem with e-bay purchases, you don't have the proper condition like in BL. The good thing is, you can always replace the missing/inproper parts quite easily with your next BL order.

Can't wait for more reviews from you, I hope we'll get some in the near future :)

Born in 1979 these (for me classic) sets makes me happy and my heart an extra beat. So nice to see sets like this again, just love it. Thanks for a nice and detailed review `Pandora`!