Hello!

I searched the forum for topics regarding the LEGO flex system, which was included in Technic sets quite a few years ago.

Since i didn't come across any topics regarding it whatsoever, created a new topic for this perpose. If there is info in eurobricks, despite my search, please delete this topic and PM me a link to it. Thank you!

Probably since a child, i wanted to get my hands on the flex cables. What i'm wondering about is whether the flex system components are reliable and strong enough. I came across a post, saying that they get brittle with time, so i'm having doubts.

If you have any personal experience with the LEGO flex system, i would like to ask you to share some thoughts about it.

Would you personally recommend it, and for what usage?

Any information regarding this topic would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

I own a total of 9 sets with the flex system, so I guess I can contribute a bit :classic:

Most of the cables from my pre-dark ages Technic sets are now broken, but I'd say that was because I didn't store them properly or was too careless at times. The other ones have been holding fairly well, fortunately. Take special care not to store them under tension.

This system is useful if you want some linear movement for relatively light loads across non-linear paths - hence the 'flex' name. LEGO sets featuring this system used it mostly to move helicopter rotors (cyclic) and for steering when there's no room for a conventional rack and pinion system.

Edited by grepin

I only have one set, the 8412 Nighthawk helicopter, which uses two flex cables to tilt the swashplate.

I really love the flex cables, and I wish Lego still produced sets with them. Both of my cables and ends are still in good condition. The only time I've used the flex system was when building helicopter and airplane mocs. They are definitely a useful part to have.

Sorry to bump an old topic, but since it has such a generic title I thought it would be useful to gather information under one topic.

I broke a flex cable yesterday. Does anyone have any experience fixing those, e.g. with superglue?

Any tips are welcome, since I really like working with the flex system and thus hope it can be fixed. I don't think LEGO customer support can help me :wink:

Years ago this was posted:

A robotic hand using pneumatics. Since we all know the limitations of pneumatics, and that they are not necessarily all that strong, I have often thought about building a robotic hand using the flex system, that equally, might not be that strong, but would provide an alternative to building the robotic hand. I have lots of flex cables, and have not used them much. So far they have aged very well..... still very strong/intact......

Buy a new one...

They're not exactly cheap... I was hoping that someone had tried successfully to glue them.

I liked the flex system, and still have several models using the flex system (that survived my dark ages) on display.

Knowing how Lego like to reinvent previous ideas (ie recent revamp of the pnuematics) they may well bring them back at some stage.

The original flex system was good (I got the 8074 Universal Set as a Christmas gift) but the connections would sometimes come loose easily. Lego later introduced flex system connections with a locking system which meant that the cables could not work themselves free. I got those cables on my Sky Wasp set 8412 and still have them - two ball joints and two pin joints.

The best way to get flex cables is to buy sets (on ebay, preferably) that contain these elements. Some of them are expensive but it depends when you go online and what auctions are available. 8074 would be a good starting point however the connections aren't as good as on later sets.

I was thinking that Lego should either reintroduce flex system or perhaps even improve upon it and introduce a new verision of it. That would be fantastic.

The original flex system was good (I got the 8074 Universal Set as a Christmas gift) but the connections would sometimes come loose easily. Lego later introduced flex system connections with a locking system which meant that the cables could not work themselves free. I got those cables on my Sky Wasp set 8412 and still have them - two ball joints and two pin joints.

The best way to get flex cables is to buy sets (on ebay, preferably) that contain these elements. Some of them are expensive but it depends when you go online and what auctions are available. 8074 would be a good starting point however the connections aren't as good as on later sets.

I was thinking that Lego should either reintroduce flex system or perhaps even improve upon it and introduce a new verision of it. That would be fantastic.

I have a bunch of the sets that include them, both the old and new connectors. I love working with it, but I'm afraid I didn't store them properly during my dark ages. I'm a bit wary of buying them used, as you won't have any clue on their condition. But I agree that you'd probably get better value for money.