AFOLEGODT

AFOLEGODT's Train MOCs and MODs

Hi LEGO Train enthusiasts,

I originally opened a topic in the Town theme but it seems to belong more here so I add this train-specific topic too.

To recap:

I started this topic to collect and share my creations. I plan to have only this one topic for all of them, and I will ad them gradually.

About my build style:

- It fits the current City line style and proportions

- I value simple and effective design more over small details achieved by a high number of bricks

- Therefore I am not againts special parts applied at the right places

- LEGO apparently tries to optimize for best result with the least number and kinds of parts, so do I, but I allow myself more freedom

- I even allow myself using out-of-production parts that are not really replaceable or I just find them most appropriate

- Creations should be robust and playable

- I also like adding features to official LEGO creations, even with slight modifications

I would like to start with an Own Creation which should be a shunter/switcher engine resembling the classic 7760 but restyled with more curves, with PF rechargable battery, IR receiver, two lights (4 LEDs), PF train motor all compressed into a rather small place. As I value playability I just had to make room for the driver, otherwise it could have been smaller. Easy PF reconfiguration and switch on/off is also important so it is implemented.

An image (should also be a link to gallery):

p1000533.jpg

The whole gallery with details:

PF shunter/switcher MOC

(Sorry for the background, I will find better soon)

I will ad some more creations soon as soon as brickshelf makes them public.

I noticed your other post in the town forum for this train, you might want to ask a Moderator to move that to this forum instead of making two topics.

Ok, thank you! Sorry, but you get only a very straightforward reefer (refridgerator) car now. I tried to work out small functional details though like ladders and maintenance access (for filling with ice):

p1000597.jpg

(Image is link)

I hope you like it in spite of its simplicity.

I was frustrated by the fact that 10219 Maersk Train loco was not designed with lights in mind, so I made some minor modifications (by the way, I also consider the front and back stickers a design flaw, I cutted them up for easy disassembly):

p1000592.jpg

(Image is link)

I'll go back in time a little and show an early locomotive of type Dewitt Clinton (google for it). The base is a pullback motor which I got the inspiration from the Motorised Rocket.

p1000601.jpg

(Image is link)

Hi again!

Some new MOCs and MODs, first a simple classic flat car in blue:

p1000763.jpg

Very low built train cars, I decided to use them as container cars so you can see my Own Container Collection too:

p1000767.jpg

The next one might be interesting, a so-called torpedo ladle car used to carry pig iron, hot iron is glowing inside:

p1000750.jpg

And finally a MOD of one of 10183 Hobby Train engines using an RC base, lights are added too:

p1000757.jpg

The refrigerator car is simply a masterpiece ...it would be great to see a train with many of these wonderful rolling stocks!

The Maersk train is another great realization! Is it possible to see more pictures?

I really like your shunter at the top. A very nice little switcher. Nice work.

You've also got some other interesting builds going on there. Keep 'em coming!

I really like the shunter, just the sort of little engine I am looking for plans for. The really old one is nice as well, I was thinking of a Rocket the other day and how to possibly do it. A nice selection of rolling stock as well.

The shunter is great... but I also like the low level design (green) although a dark red colour might look more in keeping. What interest me is how wheel the train car wheels run? Are they as easy to move / free as the 9V versions? It is a great way of implementing the low loader intermodal cars used for lorry transport here in Switzerland.

Hi again!

First an answer on this:

What interest me is how wheel the train car wheels run? Are they as easy to move / free as the 9V versions?

I did not test them very long, but they seemed to be usable. It runs a little noisy so you can hear it is different but otherwise quite stable, maybe also due to the low center of mass.

It is important that couplings can also move freely in a relatively wide range so that curved tracks and switches are no problem and they should be at the right level so they works with traditional train cars and engines. Failing on either of them will result in derailing because of forces in undesired directions.

Now some more new creations:

First I want to share a complete train MOC with you. It is PF with lights and it also has a control car with working lights (using LED light bricks):

p1010250.jpg

(Image is link to gallery).

The other one is a trivial MOD of 10020 Santa Fe Super Chief (also with light):

p1010305.jpg

(Image is link to gallery)

Now that's a way a Super Chief should be PF'ed ! :grin:

And your yellow and blue train is just so realistic - Brick On Ride On 'AFOLEGODT' ! :grin:

For LEGOWorld 2011 (Zwolle, last October) I just powered the engine lights directly from the battery box. Often you just want to have them on, so no need to use up a precious channel + output (we only have 8 default_cry4.gif you know).

Hi AFOLEGODT,

your complete MOC with the blue-yellow loco and three cars is from Hungary, isn't it? It seems to be the 1047 Siemens Taurus with two Bp and van Bdt cars. Ae you from Hungary, too?

Did you modify the gray side frame pieces on the Super Chief for the PF train motor? I'm trying to motorize a Super Chief myself and the pieces won't accommodate the technic rods used on the motor.

Did you modify the gray side frame pieces on the Super Chief for the PF train motor? I'm trying to motorize a Super Chief myself and the pieces won't accommodate the technic rods used on the motor.

That side piece you see is actually this piece. It's the replacement of the 9V parts. It comes in the newer bluish gray default_classic.gif