Sign in to follow this  
evilempire22

[Review] 6918-1: Blacksmith Attack

indexed.gif

I apologize for the sub-par review/image quality...this is my first review! Hopefully I will get better with practice.

Picked this set up on May 28 at the TRU in Bloomington, MN.

Set#: 6918-1

Name: Blacksmith Attack

Theme: Kingdoms

Release: June 2011

Pieces: 104

Minifigs: 2

MSRP: 9.99 USD

5769625050_ac0389f5a6_z.jpg

Front View

5769625066_cfd15a4fcd_z.jpg

Back View

5769625090_19e5fc36fd_z.jpg

Contents

5769087383_b281e563be_z.jpg

Large Bag

5769087397_a46ac29be9_z.jpg

Small Bag

5769087409_cc9bf12f3a_z.jpg

Weapons Bag

5769087793_5411e5c809_z.jpg

Instructions

5769625254_223743bb7e_z.jpg

5769625270_f012557a76_z.jpg

5769087489_3d870551f9_z.jpg

Dragon Knight

5769087473_0d24ed6306_z.jpg

5769087463_3475e3af09_z.jpg

5769087439_d12280d669_z.jpg

Blacksmith

5769087577_cfbd7c4ed6_z.jpg

5769625320_5baa13d37b_z.jpg

5769087605_b962a220b6_z.jpg

5769625348_a28d4c5599_z.jpg

5769087637_abc69f3ef4_z.jpg

5769625372_886afdfd6c_z.jpg

5769087653_a03456ce77_z.jpg

5769625406_7c4cb8e531_z.jpg

5769087679_db78c64b1a_z.jpg

Build Progress

5769625476_62caa96a1f_z.jpg

5769087693_abeb5c73b0_z.jpg

Complete!

5769087779_6e773b7b61_z.jpg

Extras

Verdict

Playability: 7/10 (New weapons, a couple mini-figs and chicken, turning water wheel powers hammer and anvil setup)

Design: 5/10 (Pretty basic setup, the 2 pieces of the water wheel are the stand out)

Price: 8/10 (Reasonable price for set this size. Would have been disappointed if it were any higher)

Overall: 7/10 (Makes a nice addition to existing castle or medieval themes you have going, or for the parts.)

Edited by Rufus
Indexed

Don't mind the quality of the foto's! Good review, I think it's gonna be a nice parts pack for me, especially for getting the really nice new blacksmith. And ofcourse a chicken :classic:

Although I don't like the new kind of weapons. They look kinda fake, not like lego to me...

Hey thanks for this review :thumbup:

Reminds me of the old castle sets from the late 80s early 90s

The blacksmith has printed legs! It is worth it just for the chicken and bucket! :oh:

I voted Above Average! :wub:

Great! I think they could've added some 4 L brown bars to the water mill for the heck of it.

Nice.

I built mine last night. I think it's pretty neat; the metal bow and arrow are a bit strange... maybe a piece of art instead of a real weapon.

I realize they don't give you the extras just for the hell of it, but it also seems strange that, if they're going to give you extras, it would be something as useless as a bucket handle... but then again, I'm sure some creative types could come up with some use for it.

Good review, evilempire22.

Nice idea, prateek, perhaps I'll add my own.

Thanks for the review. The new weapons are very interesting. They look like something from Brickforge, not from Lego themselves. I would love to see them incorporate these new weapon designs into future sets. Hopefully this is a sign that Lego is interested in including a lot more detail into their sets.

Very nice set for 10$. And I think the weapon is good, it's just that it isn't red or dark red, and if the weapon is complete then I think chrome color will fit better.

Thanks for the review.

I think this is a great set for such a small one. It's got a chicken, a bucket, new weapons, 2 figs, a gold crystal and armour. However, I think £10 is a bit much. Dobby's Release, The Forbidden Forest and The Captain's Cabin were all slightly bigger sets than this, with 3+ minifigures and were all licensed, yet they cost the same as this small, non licensed set with 2 minifigures?

Thanks for the great review!

wow, really cool set, I hope it's not going to more than € 10,- because this is definetely a good parts set. I think I have to get several of those. BTW, are those cheeseslope + 2*1plate bricks new? I think they'll be just great!

Nice review evilempire22! I've been waiting to get a look at this set. :sweet: It looks great, i'm not convinced about some of those new weapons as weapons, but i'm sure i can come up with some other uses for them. The blacksmith is a standout figure too. :thumbup:

anybody seen this set in Walmart yet? I want to buy a few, but Toys R us is a long long ways away...

Thanks for the review 'evilempire22', such a cool set with two AWESOME minifigs especially the blacksmith...I think it's a new torso (I might be wrong though :blush: ).

Another water wheel hammer, it's okay....I check with a real life armourer (one who makes weapons and armour) there were a couple of such things in that era.

I already have a retailer preparing to hold one of each of the four new sets aside when they receive them. :wink:

Brick On Everyone ! :grin:

Thanks for the review! Great little addition to the Kingdoms line: new minifigs, new parts and animal and inexpensive too. I'm a big fan of this wee set - will definitely pick one up!

thanks for the review

I've been interested in this set since it was announced

and I have a question

the new weapons are made in soft or hard plastic?

for my, it looks soft, but I have to ask!

Already wondering how I'll divide up those weapons. That two-handed axe looks primed for my Viking horde, but the more I look at it the more it seems like it won't fit in... Strange weapons.

anybody seen this set in Walmart yet? I want to buy a few, but Toys R us is a long long ways away...

to answer my own question, I found this set @ walmart in Bellingham, they had @ least 50 of them :grin:

I just opened one of these sets and was surprised to find a new color for the armor that is unique to this set.

Did TLC make a deal with Megablocks or Brickarms or so?! :wacko: That weapons are a total LOSS! Sorry. :hmpf_bad:

But, I think they just want to see how people react onto that new type of weaponry... . Some kind of hidden 'market research' :wink:

I just opened one of these sets and was surprised to find a new color for the armor that is unique to this set.

It's not a new color-- it's 316 Titanium Metallic, the same color that is (to my knowledge) used most armor and weapon pieces used by the dragon faction in Kingdoms. Bricklink calls it Pearl Dark Gray, although it is slightly different than the Pearl Dark Gray color used prior to the debut of Kingdoms (147 Dark Grey Metallic).

If yours looks different than other Titanium Metallic parts from Kingdoms sets, then it's possible that you simply received a part with color inconsistencies. I hope this is not the case, as 316 replaced 147 largely for the purpose of reducing the inconsistencies in earlier Pearl Dark Gray parts, and so far I haven't heard any horror stories about Titanium Metallic parts being inconsistent with one another. If there truly are inconsistencies, I hope TLG can resolve them without having to discontinue Titanium Metallic, which is in my opinion a lovely color.

Did TLC make a deal with Megablocks or Brickarms or so?! :wacko: That weapons are a total LOSS! Sorry. :hmpf_bad:

But, I think they just want to see how people react onto that new type of weaponry... . Some kind of hidden 'market research' :wink:

The weapons aren't actually minifigure weapons in the strictest sense. They were designed for the Heroica subtheme of LEGO Games, and some of the factors of their design owe themselves to that theme (for instance, they are all designed so they can be mounted inside a hollow stud, and they are in general slightly smaller than weapons designed specifically for minifigures).

I do not expect these weapons to become widespread in typical System themes, and they were probably included in this set because they offer a wide variety of designs that are small enough that they don't drive the price up too greatly. They also probably cost less to produce than other LEGO weapons because their molds are more recent and thus possibly more economically-designed.

It should be noted that every set containing these weapons contains this exact same assortment, similar to the BIONICLE minifigure weapons from 2006-2007 playsets. The designs on those, of course, were much more specialized, and they'd hardly fit into any theme but a sci-fi oriented one. Compared to those, these are downright generic, and not at all like the IMO overspecialized weapons often seen in Mega Bloks sets or Brickarms weapon packs.

thanks for the review

I've been interested in this set since it was announced

and I have a question

the new weapons are made in soft or hard plastic?

for my, it looks soft, but I have to ask!

The weapons are soft plastic and very flexible.

--Evil