Mariann Asanuma

REVIEW: 853195 Brick Calendar

I got anywhere from two to four of each Series 1 minifigure (and then my girlfriend gave me a fifth cheerleader for Christmas; I'll also be getting a few more sealed Series 1 figures from her, though I don't know yet which ones they'll be), and I have to say there's not one Series 1 figure I wouldn't like to have at least one more of, including the skateboarder. That said, I'd personally rather have one or more additional robots, spacemen, tribal hunters, cowboys, forestmen, demolition dummies or even deep sea divers than either skateboarders or cheerleaders. I, too, wonder whether future calendars (or other "home" items) might include additional minifigures from Minifigures Series 1 (or other series!)...

for your information. I did see this set in Chicago LEGOLAND discover Center. so I assume all the LEGOLAND parks (Dallas?) should have this set. not sure about LEGO shop though.

Oh, I'd love to get a skateboarder and cheerleader! Thanks for the review Mariann Asanuma. Hope this gets released via shop@home

I think this is the first time I've ever looked forward to buying a calendar; hopefully it will be sold in Lego stores/online.

Thanks for the review, Mariann Asanuma!

Hmm, interesting. I'm not sure how good this would be as an actual calendar, but it's certainly good as a parts pack.

It does look like it's Chinese though, seeing how it includes two collectible minifigs all in the same bag.

"the months are in English, so for all our non-English speaking AFOLs, the months might not be as cool."

We can make decals with month names with our own language. :)

It would be cool if there were 2 random collectable minifigures in it! (not with all the variations, but 3 or 4).

Thanks for the review!

I myself am not that excited about this. First, the calender for each month is different. Example: Friday wouldn't be on the 3rd fo March and then on the third for April. Each date changes by 1-4 days. Therfore the calender would be great in a Lego City but not as a normal calender; of course, unless you want to constantly modify it.

I agree that the figures are a great bonus. I wonder if they aren't made out of Chinese plastic...

Thanks for the review!

I myself am not that excited about this. First, the calender for each month is different. Example: Friday wouldn't be on the 3rd fo March and then on the third for April. Each date changes by 1-4 days. Therefore the calender would be great in a Lego City but not as a normal calender; of course, unless you want to constantly modify it.

I agree that the figures are a great bonus. I wonder if they aren't made out of Chinese plastic...

But every month you may change the position of the number, no :wink: ?

I've got a solution to the problem of the months in English: buy old printed bricks with letters (see here and here).

Edited by Plastic Nurak

Mariann, great review of a cute little set!

I'm really surprised that these are printed bricks! Well done, LEGO! :thumbup:

I would buy it, if I see in over here at a reasonable price.

Therfore the calender would be great in a Lego City but not as a normal calender; of course, unless you want to constantly modify it.

This is exactly what the set is made for!

Edited by Lego Amaryl

Nice. I like this set plus got 2 minifigs from series one.

I never owned a lego calendar before.

A must by for me.

Seems kinda odd to give this thing a 9/10 for playability??

I'm curious about if it's always the cheerleader and skater, or is it random selections of series 1 minifigs? So many things I've read keep referencing "two Series 1 minifigs," but if it's always those two why don't they just say "the cheerleader and the skater boy from Series 1?"

I was at Legoland Windsor today (Yes I know everyone else is there tomorrow) and I spotted just one of these so I had to have it, £9.99 minus 10% for my passholder discount made it £8.99 which I thought was a good price.

Looks cool, but where's it made? I have a sneaking suspicion it's Chinese given all the special parts, including the collectable figs.

According to the box "Components made in DENMARK, HUNGARY and CHINA"

I made it according to the picture on the box but this has to lead to a competition for the best designed calendar using only the parts from this set!

D

Edited by Dazmundo

Bought two of these today and built one tonight...only to find that it's missing the "23" brick!!!!

NOT happy. :hmpf_bad:

Production #311B1 (stamped under the barcode), in case anyone is interested.

Have written to LEGO to see if I can get missing parts sent out.

Bought two of these today and built one tonight...only to find that it's missing the "23" brick!!!!

NOT happy. :hmpf_bad:

Production #311B1 (stamped under the barcode), in case anyone is interested.

Have written to LEGO to see if I can get missing parts sent out.

Wow! I also bought 2 of these last Friday? Where did you get yours?

I was at Sherway Gardens, and I think there are about 5 or 6 boxes when I went in.

And I just checked my box now that I saw your reply. Mine has the same code '311B1'.

I built one of mine last night too. It's all complete.

img3920s.jpg

But when I started building it, and started with all unprinted white on the bottom just like in the box

I thought I ran out of bricks. But I realized there should be no blank row instead so

Lego+853195+Brick+Calendar.JPG

Now, I have to open and check the other box if it is complete.

Email or Call lego they will replace the missing brick, though I understand the feeling eh.

It's disappointing, specially if you have to make a long trip going to the store just to pick this brick calendar up.

Edited by r1chard

Wow! I also bought 2 of these last Friday? Where did you get yours?

I was at Sherway Gardens, and I think there are about 5 or 6 boxes when I went in.

And I just checked my box now that I saw your reply. Mine has the same code '311B1'.

I built one of mine last night too. It's all complete.

But when I started building it, and started with all unprinted white on the bottom just like in the box

I thought I ran out of bricks. But I realized there should be no blank row instead so

Now, I have to open and check the other box if it is complete.

Email or Call lego they will replace the missing brick, though I understand the feeling eh.

It's disappointing, specially if you have to make a long trip going to the store just to pick this brick calendar up.

I got mine from Sherway yesterday (Saturday).

I guess I didn't describe properly...I have all of the BRICKS...it's just that the "23" appears to somehow have been missed in the printing process. I checked my other one and it's fine. At first, I thought I might have just missed it, due to a brick being turned, or my thumb in the way, or some such thing but, alas, no such luck. Not a big deal though. If I can't get a replacement, I'll just use some 'rub on' numbers. I've got scads of those things, so I'm sure I can find one with a similar type-face.

Edited by Ogre