Mariann Asanuma

REVIEW: 853195 Brick Calendar

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

Hello fellow Eurobrickers! :grin:

I don't often get a chance to review sets, mainly because someone else has gotten the set first. But when I was at LEGOLAND California today I saw that they were stocking a new item on the shelf -- The Brick Calendar!

5763356232_0823bda72c.jpg

Set Name: Brick Calendar

Set #:853195

Pieces: 120

Minifigs: 2

Year of Release: 2011

Price: $16.99 USD

View Pictures on Flickr

Intro:

As soon as I saw it, I knew I had to pick up one (or multiples) of this set. Naturally the idea of a build-able brick calendar is one that has been a long time coming. In fact an off brand created as similar one a while ago. But being an AFOL, we naturally want it to be LEGO. :wink:

And you're eyes are not deceiving you -- that is a Series 1 Cheerleader and Skateboarder on the box! So for all of you who weren't lucky enough to find one the first go around you now have a second chance.

Box

Front of box

5763356680_51434edceb.jpg

There really isn't much to say about the box. One note though -- the months are in English, so for all our non-English speaking AFOLs, the months might not be as cool.

Back of box

5762811431_97112e6c06.jpg

What's Inside

5763357556_f972d6c639.jpg

The bag doesn't really show how cool this set really is.

Instructions

5762872747_18160408cb.jpg

The instructions are simple and effective.

5762872567_ba96745af0.jpg

The Bricks

5763355794_c492fe11dd.jpg

This is really why I got this set -- the bricks! They are all printed on! :wub:

I can see many, many applications for these elements besides the obvious of making a monthly calendar.

Front of Bricks

5763355180_31f5aae5dd.jpg

Back of Bricks

5763355418_40cb7d52cd.jpg

The month printed bricks aren't as exciting as the numbers, but I still see uses for these.

Ratings

Parts: 10/10 - Printed number bricks, need I say more?

Build: 8/10 - Simple but effective.

Design: 8/10 - Ditto

Minifigures: 8/10 Series 1 Cheerleader!!!! (And Skateboarder -- that's the only reason it doesn't get 10/10, not a second cool figure)

Price: 9/10 - $16.99 USD Not really a bad price at all. I don't know if this will be available worldwide.

Playability: 9/10 - As a calendar there isn't all that much in the way of "play," but as a parts pack for printed bricks I can see hours of play time. :sweet:

Overall:9.5/10 - There is so much coolness in this model. The fact that it is a calendar is cool, but the number bricks and the addition of the much coveted Cheerleader fig makes this a wonderful set in my book! My only complaint is the skateboarder fig, I mean how many of those do we need? :hmpf: Even so, I most likely will pick up a few more of this set very soon. :grin:

Edited by Rufus
Indexed!

Thanks for a great review! This is very cool. The cheerleader is a huge bonus too! But I agree it should had the Spartan or so instead of the Skater :grin:

Thanks for sharing this very unique supplemental set Mariann! :thumbup: It's actually the first time I've known about this, and it looks like to a nice brick calendar to have even if the build is on the basic side, but I'm sure it can be modified to look better. The two minifigs are nice bonuses too, though I would've preferred to have them taken out of the set to slice 4-5 bucks off the price.

I want one. I'd look forward to the monthly rebuild, Lego is the perfect choice for a perpetual calendar.

Thanks for the review.

:classic: :classic:

Mariann, even though I just reading it from mine mobile web browser. I am already feeling excited as you are. I can't wait to sit down in front of a decent computer to view those delicious images. I can't believe this set is filled with tons and loads of printed bricks. I can really imagine the use for all of these! Thank you so much for sharing.

I wonder if it will ever be just a park exclusive?

Very nice yet unexpected review! I love the endless possibilities of these bricks, yet I may need to customize to make

some in Italian, (can read it). :laugh:

Thanks for taking the time to review this unexpected set! You caused me a little headache regarding where to put it in the index :blush:

I wouldn't mind having one of those on my desk - I must look out for it next time I'm in the LEGO shop. It's interesting that they included the two Series One figures in there - the Cheerleeder is likely to bump up the sales of this set!

Thanks for taking the time to review this unexpected set! You caused me a little headache regarding where to put it in the index :blush:

Sorry it caused you a headache. :look:

This set certainly was a surprise to me too. I couldn't find any info about it anywhere.

Great set and the MF is a nice bonus - I need at least 2! 1 as calendar for my desk & 1 for MOCing

(what am I going to do with all these skateboards :look: ...)

AWESOME.....a Lego calendar with two bonus figures....left-overs eh ? :laugh:

I'll be putting a call out to those I know who import into the land of Oz and get one of these sets. It has that old Lego feel of the 1970's to it, dam it's perfect for the school classroom and that geek/nerd's computer desk with collection of pocket protectors ! :laugh:

Brick On everyone ! :grin:

Whoa, that's neat! And I'm stunned to see any new set that includes whole minifigures from the Minifigures line. That might rankle a few people, actually, since the Minifigures were presented as these limited-edition things that wouldn't be available any other way, but perhaps they're making an exception for the Series 1 ones since they were in such short supply.

Anyway, I think this would be worth getting just for the printed date bricks; the minifigures are just a really nice bonus (and bring the total number of printed elements in this up to 57 :oh: ). I hope this is available at LEGOLAND Florida when it opens...

:cry_happy:

Edited by Blondie-Wan

I'd never even heard of this before :laugh: ! Thanks for the great review, though.

I'm sure those printed number bricks should come in handy sometime, and the cheerleader is such a beautiful fig. However, I've already got her, so I probably won't be hunting this down.

Thanks again for the review (and letting me know this set existed :grin: )

Holy Crap, I didn't even know this existed. It will be on my next LEGO order for sure, I love it.

Hmm very interesting, thanx for the review. And also didn't knew it even existed. Will have to order my self a few of these boxes.

Nice - very excited by this. Wondering if LEGO is realizing the market for printed bricks, as they have for the value of minifigs. They could do all kinds of releases just for printed bricks. Will probably be picking up multiples of this. I'm surprised the price is so low. I would have imagined $29.99 - something similar to the Minifig clocks.

Thanks!

Interesting especially because I've never seen this before! I've seen "clone brand" ones at museum gift shops, and was perplexed as to why TLG never did anything of this sort. Now I no longer need to be perplexed!

It looks very nice, even though I wouldn't want it because I don't use a calendar often besides the one on my computer. If I were to use a physical calendar, I'd probably want one that I could write on. Still, it's a lovely idea, and I'm sure people will find good uses for those numbered bricks!

Looks cool, but where's it made? I have a sneaking suspicion it's Chinese given all the special parts, including the collectable figs.

I may add this to my "Get at the LEGO store" list, although I gotta agree that the addition of the Minifigures is sorta... odd. Not so much that they're there, but the ones they chose. Skateboarder, really? Of all the Series 1 guys, I think that is literally the last one I'd pick for a reprint.

Maybe they'll put out an alternate colour edition with a Zombie in it. That'd blow my mind, man.