Sign in to follow this  
Graynar

MOC Johnny Thunder set -Hero's Tower

As part of the JT (Johnny Thunder) revival, realizing we may never see him return in LEGO for real, I have started a pretend theme on him as he visits the land of castles. With some old villains, and a new one.

01fullset.jpg_thumb.jpg

This set would probably be 49.99 American or 69.99 Canadian. With 475 pieces, and 8 figures, (9 if you include the skeleton).

Figures

Not a bad looking tower...

A side shot of the tower

The back side, showing the interior and 4 levels. (The second floor was cut open for playability.)

Interior

The whole bottom floor can be moved with your hand as you send Johnny to his dea- umm into danger.

Floor trap

To get from level to level, JT can use the chain to go up, but he has to watch out for the ax.

Ax trap and chain elevator

Where's the treasure?

Observe my insane sneakyness...

Every JT set has to have one of these...

The Tank

Insert the dynamite into the tank and...

...KABOOM!

Awesome troop truck

The accessories

The folder

01thewholeset.jpg_thumb.jpg

The first set.

The whole JT land of castles gallery

Hope you enjoyed it! Please tell me what you think of it. More sets to come...

Thanks for the replies!

But you forgot the catapult/ASD (Annying Shooting Device)

Yeah, I got to put one in the next set. Maybe that's why they didn't like it over at CC, needs to be more TLCish.

I would love for Lego to produce a set like this, especially with the pointed visor

Me to, I miss that visor piece -only ever having one. :-/

The dynamite mechanism is quite ingenius!

Thanks!

I like the idea to use the explosion system seen in Wild West sets. It is a good idea that I used for my city bank few years ago... Good set with a LEGO look

well, im glad i found this one after leaving my comments on your previous thread.

this one is much improved, the overall eye appeal is fantasic. the minifig/story conflict in the set is much more clear than in "Key of the Castle Dock" (see comments in previous thread).

again, the photoshopping is excellent. but im still having trouble with the blue coats. have you ever considered making some decals ???

the tank explosion is a great borrow from the well designed WW sets. i love seeing this !!! great idea. and even the small detail of the brick steps at the middle front of the base is awesome !!! reminds me of a smaller version of the orient expedition castle.

do you have any other MOC threads i could be missing (i've been away for a couple weeks) ???

- Brick Miner

Thanks for the comments!

do you have any other MOC threads i could be missing (i've been away for a couple weeks)

I have made a pretend castle theme. But those pics are not in my Brickshelf folder. Currently, I only have the JT sets being made. I will probably make other themes as well. *y*

I really need to dig up those castle pics, they're about a year old.

have you ever considered making some decals ???

I did once, but I don't have stickers, so I glued the torso's to the minifigs. (Not something I'm going to repeat 8-

Hey I love the use of the bluecoats. They make me think of the lancers in zorro, or the Soldiers at the end of temple of doom.

Maybe you should have given them blue pants to make them look more modern , or perhaps grey...

highlandcattle brings up a good point... the blue coat torsos could partially be removed from the imperial soldier look by giving them different color pants and/or epaulets.

may help a little, however, i would still suggest decals.

I don't have stickers, so I glued the torso's to the minifigs. (Not something I'm going to repeat)
do you mean you glued the paper decal to the torso ??? if so, why are you not going to repeat ??? bad experience ???

- BrickMiner

do you mean you glued the paper decal to the torso ??? if so, why are you not going to repeat ??? bad experience ???

Well it took a few hours to get the glue off. *n*

Maybe you should have given them blue pants to make them look more modern , or perhaps grey...

That is a good point! I'll have to remember that! *y*

Well it took a few hours to get the glue off.

but why would you want to take it off, after putting it on ??? do you not keep your MOCs build very long ???

BTW, that battle bridge shot is amazing !!! great job, i'd like to see more of it posted here !!!

- BM

but why would you want to take it off, after putting it on ??? do you not keep your MOCs build very long ???

I'm not much of a customiser. I customise sails, and sheets for LEGO beds, but that's basically it.

I didn't keep the custom torso's on long because I like using offical ones more.

I'm not much of a customiser. I customise sails, and sheets for LEGO beds, but that's basically it.
sheets on the beds, now thats fun !!! i guess you would have to since LEGO would never give us something so "ordinary."

however, now that im thinking of it, there are a couple good pillow options, there is a sloped 2x2 brick, and a new 1x2 tile in the sponge bob sets !!!

also, for this MOC and your entire "Johnny in the Land of the Castles" theme, have you tried a different tree option ??? id like to see somthing like in king's mountain fortress.

- BrickMiner

Truthfully, your mocs have inspired me to create my own Johnny Thunder theme. I've already gotten 2 sets done and hoping to post pics soon. Nice job!