Theme – City

Year – 2011

Minifigs – Five

Pieces – 294

Price – GB £41.99

Links:

BrickLink, Brickset, LEGO Shop@Home

So I’m clearly not the

quickest of reviewers, but once again, having started, I’d thought I’d finish! :grin:

On yet another Saturday afternoon I find myself in TRU looking for LEGO. This time it was the Alien Conquest sets we were after, however, in the City section, gleaming invitingly was this set: 4644 Marina.

Fresh from my exploits reviewing 5770 Lighthouse Island, this set made me want to continue with my attempts at reviewing, and I was still feeling ever so slightly... nautical

LEGO City Marina 4644

The front of the box shows all the different buildings in the set, which are joined together by a raised footbridge. It also shows the various characters as they go about their business, be that windsurfing or deep-sea diving.

5722507466_498bac2cae_z.jpg

Additionally, you can see that TLG proudly proclaim that the boat really floats!

Really?! :sceptic: I’m not putting my LEGO in a filthy pond, but I might just remember that next time I take a bath.

5722454222_188dc852a9_z.jpg

The back of the box shows lots of smaller pictures, and a demonstration that the overall build is “divided into sub-models for easy start”, and that these sub-models are contained in numbered poly-bags. Click for a link to a high-res picture.

5722503748_43ac9b4a47_z.jpg

The top of the box shows all five minifigs in action poses, and with their respective accessories.

5722452800_d9dd02d4ec_z.jpg

Inside the box are two instruction booklets. Book one contains instructions for the boat and the windsurfer, and shows as much on the front. You can just spot the quad bike in the background of the picture, and indeed its instructions are here, too.

5722460464_78bccc93f5_z.jpg

Inside the booklet you can see which bag to grab and which “extra” parts are also needed.

5722467428_d10b6d92bd_z.jpg

The back shows the final stages of the build.

5721907193_5431e5cbed_z.jpg

The second instruction booklet is for the remainder of the build – the buildings and structure of the Marina.

5721913665_cd98e4ccc0_z.jpg

The back shows everyone’s favourite KFOL. :wink: (Not shown)

Towards the back of the second booklet, there’s a full inventory spread over two pages. I’ve put them side by side but there’s a link to high-res pictures if you want to see more.

5722496330_89441f4f17.jpg5721942781_3783459fe8.jpg

The sticker sheet, unlike the instruction booklets, was in perfect condition. In fact it had cloned itself; I got two. I’m still not applying them, though.

5721899607_6f7f92e582.jpg

Now onto the LEGO itself. One bag is unnumbered and contains two tan plates, the boat body, a red flexible pipe for the boat and the windsurf sail.

5721920045_100b5ef191.jpg

Each numbered bag contains a smaller polybag within, and you can just about make them out.

Here they are:

5722480114_5847130543.jpg5722492452_eb0f54ccff.jpg

5722484412_f56d65fcf0.jpg5722488552_7be7ebb6d7.jpg

A better look at the parts inside the unnumbered bag, including the nice tan plates, and the boat that really floats:

5722180311_0cdc469725_z.jpg

The main parts of bag 1 contain some interesting parts, particularly the printed console.

5722183969_6ba9b9343b_z.jpg

Here’s a closer look at the printed console.

5722188721_2650fccbc8.jpg

The smaller poly-bag within contains mainly minifigs accessories and parts for detailing.

5722743252_000a8c436f_z.jpg

The minifigs comprise of two divers, identical apart from facial expressions, hats and accessories,

5722192049_7c43dfefdf.jpg5722195505_04ce643b37.jpg

and a dodgy bloke in his vest and pants, with a slightly sinister coastguard.

5722199135_e3beda24a5.jpg5722202655_09e09d6cb6.jpg

To start you off gently, the first build is the wind-surfer and his board, complete with a solitary buoy for him to windsurf around. This is extremely simple.

5722624065_6426d051d9_z.jpg

5723182626_1cf385c516_z.jpg

This is followed up with the cute little quad bike, that looks a bit more like a dune buggy to me with its roll-bars.

5723185284_e77d99ffa3_z.jpg

There’s even a tow bar on the back in case any vehicles or boats need to be towed out of the sea. It’s a very simple build, with a pleasing end result.

5722632125_8eb1884b79_z.jpg

Building the boat really just consists of adding the steering section, some seats and some details to the large boat part. Having said that, the addition of these pieces really does transform it into a divers’ boat.

5722635403_53c7aacc16_z.jpg

Here’s a better view of the steering section:

5722639701_f74bf23370_z.jpg

The back, with the two powerful engines:

5723198976_d2a5843641_z.jpg

And the front, where you can see how much these chaps are enjoying themselves.

5722647565_f1b8a8484f_z.jpg

At the end, not much is left over save for a few extra accessories and 1x1 trans plates.

5723205544_b9f2ece69a.jpg

Bag number 2 contains the parts for the coastguard watchtower, with a couple of handy staircases, lots of brown plates and a moulded green roof part. There are also three 1x1x5 dark grey bricks and a couple of Technic bricks in blue.

5722654797_97be1d343d_z.jpg

The smaller poly-bag again contains items for detailing, including three flags used to denote the water safety, and a life preserver part.

5722658209_ca25c15ae8_z.jpg

The second bag also contains the fifth minifigs, who is my favourite, probably because she has my sig-fig’s head. I like to think of her as Pandora on holiday by the sea...

5722660295_cb141bc300.jpg5723218510_93c4bc4db8.jpg

The parts of the big and little poly-bags are combined with the first tan plate to build the Coastguard Watchtower with its sandy driveway, the raised bridge and a small pier with a beacon.

5723626310_1a35ddf9b6_z.jpg

A view of the Coastguard Watchtower from the front. It makes you want to hum the Baywatch theme... and the Lifeguard from collectable minifigs series 2 would be right at home here, I think. There are interchangeable coloured flags, depending on the warnings required for the beach, plus a life-preserver ready to grab and throw to a hapless swimmer. The quad bike fits nicely under the stilted hut.

5731158538_a54b0a5f37_z.jpg

The bridge is quite simple,

5731158538_a54b0a5f37_z.jpg

And connects to an equally simple pier or jetty, where holidaying Pandora contemplates the murky depths below. There is also a beacon to prevent the divers in the blue boat from accidentally crashing into said pier/jetty.

5724127710_d4b9ed11cf_z.jpg

The back shows where the long blue Technic brick is used and it is placed to allow attachment of the built contents of the third bag.

5730609829_434af7865c_z.jpg

There are, surprisingly, no leftovers from this bag.

Bag 3 is combined with the second, remaining tan plate to build a little surf shop selling watersports equipment. The larger parts:

5723077943_470e37538f_z.jpg

The contents of the smaller poly-bag within: More flippers! And a harpoon! :wub: I can see that being useful.. Note also the printed parts.

5723080873_eb68d14f20_z.jpg

Here’s a better view of the printed parts, including a back view of the 2x2 plate showing its attachment.

5723637024_6636acb80e.jpg5723083141_640a2586a1.jpg

Once the parts are combined, a charming little surf shop is formed, complete with cash-register and a few supplies for sale. There are even a couple of cupboards. A sticker to denote this as a surf shop is placed on the white 1x16 brick at the front of the shop. The front also shows that another long blue Technic brick is used here to allow the Technic pins to join the shop to the jetty.

5724145756_ac55d815f6_z.jpg

The view from the back shows the back of the cash register and the cupboards more clearly.

5727087783_bb77141250_z.jpg

Here you can see the surf shop attached to the jetty from the second build, and you can also see the dark grey plates with widely spaced studs to allow attachment of the built contents of the fourth bag.

5723570267_b985eff75d_z.jpg

Once again very few parts remain, and once again, they’re mostly flippers :sceptic:

5724130310_55d91cef67.jpg

The fourth and final bag contains fewer parts, but does contain some nice dark grey windows, two long aerials in black and an unusual lime green radar dish.

5723580901_5ab5479f84_z.jpg

The smaller poly-bag has a few trans-clear 1x2x1 panels, a couple of mugs and a red loud-hailer, along with sparse bits and pieces.

5724138558_52799720ce_z.jpg

The first thing to build for the Paradise Cafe is the coffee machine :wub: I have never been so delighted to see a coffee machine that’s incapable of producing coffee! It only requires a few parts, but it is instantly recognisable.

5724141516_6b8c5dd3f6.jpg5723587851_15ae89717c.jpg

The rest of the cafe is put together rather simply, and uses two more of the moulded green roof parts. The largest of the stickers is supposed to be placed on the roof to identify this as the Paradise Cafe, and there is a menu sticker to apply on a wall inside. Both are placed on single bricks. The name Paradise Cafe harks back somewhat to bygone Paradisa sets.

5727632618_5208c6d3bc_z.jpg

However, a bit of Technic jiggery-pokery, and the roof is able to rotate and open. The Paradise Cafe has a flip-top lid! This provides an unexpected feature and allows better access into the cafe itself for moving things around.

5727084459_a627b950c9_z.jpg

The back view shows the interior better, along with the small terrace with a table and umbrella and a couple of chairs. This is supposed to sit on top of the surf shop, but the only possible way up is via the ladder used to display life-preservers. The top of that ladder finishes under the green roof part at the front. How on earth are these minifigs supposed to get their coffee? :wacko:

5727081093_698ef4f773_z.jpg

At the bottom of Bag 4, only a black aerial is spare.

5724140212_6d681cc36a.jpg

Here’s a view of all four modules joined together, with the additional vehicles and accessories. They do make a nice scene together, and the use of the bridge to imply water works well, but one can’t help feeling that there’s a whole lot of sea missing :sceptic:

5727645082_1118be51df_z.jpg

Conclusion

The new Harbour range within the City theme provides the opportunity to expand your town with coast-line themed buildings and boats. This set, Marina, provides the more commercial and recreational side to the buildings with both a surf shop, and the Paradise Cafe, in addition to the Watchtower. To me this is an interesting direction for City. There’s still the element of excitement and rescue with the other Harbour sets, as one would have with the Police and Fire lines, but the addition of this more recreational side is more appealing to me.

Design – 7/10 I can’t help but feel this could have been so much more, and then I feel bad as there’s a cute little quad bike, and a windsurfer, and a big blue boat, not to mention the kitted out surf shop and cafe, but it still feels a little bare. The modular approach is nice and means elements can be moved around to some degree, and although it’s not new I’m delighted with the coffee machine.

Build – 7/10 nothing about this build was challenging, each sub-model was quickly and easily assembled. It was almost like four impulse sets joined together.

Minifigs – 8/10 there are five, including vest and pants man (the windsurfer) who I’ve not seen before, and the diver’s outfits are quite nice. There are plenty of accessories, too.

Parts – 8/10 there aren’t that many parts, all things considered, but there are some interesting pieces and, as mentioned, accessories. Stand out favourites would be the harpoon and the printed console piece and tiles, and if you need orange and lime-green flippers then this is the set for you.

Playability – 7/10 there’s a strange sense of incompleteness, as if the other Harbour sets are required to make a story. There are no real play-features except for the Paradise Cafe’s flip-top lid, but you can zoom around in the boat. You could even take the boat in the bath!

Price – 7/10 for the parts and interest it’s reasonable value for money, especially compared with other City sets. I wouldn’t be tempted to buy two, though.

Overall 73%

It’s a pleasant set that would be nice enough to provide a starting point for a coast-line at least. It really was very simple to build and looks nice once built, but being spread out in a long line makes it awkward to display. The lack of any real sea element makes it seem a little odd. I’m pleased with it, and I did enjoy building it, but I think it’ll be sorted for parts before too long.

5731163520_639e5b1413.jpg

Comments very welcome.

Edited by Zorbas
Indexed

Great review 'Pandora'. I like this set quite well. It's neat but, nothing to special. Nowhere near as cool as 6543 Marina though. I look forward to adding it to my beach with a bit of tweaking. Thanks for the review :classic:

Great review with excellent photos. I shudder at the price which seems a bit high, but there are so many interesting pieces here and I know my daughter would just love this set. I love those huge plates, and the gray cabinets would also be very useful... I'm trying to think how I can buy the set but change it enough so that I can steal some of those parts without having to buy two copies of the set. :blush:

Thank you 'Pandora' for this review, EB's second on this set and it looks even better.....plus lucky you two sticker sheets plus they are flat. :grin:

Though I would at least sticker the shop, otherwise some might thing it's a crim's hideout ! :laugh:

Another coffee machine.....what's wrong with an espresso machine ? The cafe does look a little bare and the surf shop or should be renamed the dive shop really needs more merchandise. But hey that's what modifying sets is for right ? :wink:

I have just notice the dive helmets are silver grey, I have never seen them in that colour before and what is the deal with the life saving dude riding a quad bike with out a helmet what if he rolls it on a sand dune ! :devil:

The surf shop which is a little too simplified though I like the trick of using 2x3 cupboards to store stock etc., the design can be copied and you could end up doing a shopping strip along the sea/river front. :wink:

I can't wait to get this set......Brick On Everyone ! :grin:

Edited by lightningtiger

Thanks for the review Pandora :classic: . I've just noticed the boat is the same colour as the bluebaseplates (duh) and that wont make the boat stand out. I just wish it was a differen't colour like yellow or even a light blue OR lime green. that would be an interesting colour for a boat.

Once again thanks for the review

Thanks for the great review. Your pictures provide a really comprehensive look at the parts and how the set goes together. This is really helpful when I start to plan my upcoming purchases.

Thanks for your great in depth review!

I noticed some new things that I liked, the roof of the cafe is built very well, it reminds of the same building technique from the 07 Fire Station. The printed parts are great! The stickers (which I know alot of people don't like applying), I think are awesome and really take this set to the next level. Imagery is so important and is everywhere in the world today. :wink:

The larger zodiac boat is simple and looks great, the good thing with boats is they always have plenty of room for figs to fit in. However I don't really like the divers, the wetsuits have no gauges etc. However are fine for just plain wetsuits. Lime green and orange flippers make no sense and I have never seen those colors used ever in real application? :sick: Your whole outfit is supposed to blend with the ocean to not disturb the life so you can view it better hence why most dive gear is black or blue. I hope one day TLG does a camo print minifig in ocean blue for a nice Free Diver/spearfisherman, since they give you the speargun already. :grin:

I wonder why they didn't give the lifeguard the Series 2 lifeguard float in a new color?? Also for the shop I would have liked to see some more inventory like the new smaller surfboard w/new imagery or plain. Overall this set had great potential, I voted for Average. :wink:

Outstanding review Pandora! Your images are "top-notch" :thumbup:

I picked this set up a few weeks ago, but haven't had a chance to open. I love the Classic Town look of the set and I applaud LEGO for offering this new sub-theme. I find the set to have an interesting choice of colors, especially with the green roof sections. The boat is also one that I would not expect in a beach-type scene but I like it for the adventure appeal, reminding me of a new flavor of Divers - color is right but the large size is new and different.

I'll have to build to appreciate the set more, but right now I really like it. I'll reserve my vote/rating until I get this set up with a few blue baseplates. Love your review though.

Thanks for this incredibly in-depth review, Pandora! It was a real pleasure to read!

This is without a doubt my favorite set from the 'Harbour' city subtheme. I'd love to see TLC go all out again and produce something more along the lines of the superb Sail N' Fly Marina, but the small town feel of this set is quite pleasing never-the-less. I quite like the colour scheme of the set, and the amount of accessories is very welcome, but I feel another civilian - perhaps in a bathing suit would have been appropriate and helped make the set feel more complete (well, and a nice big blue baseplate too).

Thanks for the excellent review. Your photos are very sharp. It is a nice set.

So I’m clearly not the quickest of reviewers, but once again, having started, I’d thought I’d finish! :grin:

Not the first, but the quality of the review is definitely impressive and makes it a real pleasure to read from start to finish. Thanks for finishing this up and sharing this with us Pandora! :thumbup: Seeing your take on this makes me wanna re-evaluate my view on this set, it's not as bad as I initially thought, it's still a pretty good addition to any coastal-based town layout.

While working on my Mega-MOC, I realised that the surf shop doesn't use doors to lock up at night.....roller shutters like every other modern store uses.....of course they are excluded from the set.....the cost of the set would go even higher.

Brick On ! :grin:

Fantastic review Pandora! :wub: Your photos are brilliant and the review itself is very detailed and really enjoyable!

As I've already said in the past, when I first saw the pictures of the new Marina I was a bit dissapointed since I was expecting something similar to the good ol' Sail N' Fly Marina. The Harbour/Nautica subtheme is my favorite and the overall appearance of the new Marina didn't work for me.

Now that I've seen better and more detailed images I must say that I've changed my mind a little and things are not so tragic as I thought it would be. There is a nice choice of colours, accessories and minifigs and although that the marina's design is not something spectacular, it sure is compatible with today's City buildings' standards.

Thanks again for this very beautiful review! :sweet:

I look forward to adding it to my beach with a bit of tweaking. Thanks for the review :classic:

Thank you Leg Godt Gud. I agree, we'll just have to add in the elements we find missing.

Great review with excellent photos. I shudder at the price which seems a bit high, but there are so many interesting pieces here and I know my daughter would just love this set. I love those huge plates, and the gray cabinets would also be very useful... I'm trying to think how I can buy the set but change it enough so that I can steal some of those parts without having to buy two copies of the set. :blush:

Thank you meyerc13, the grey cabinets were a pleasant surprise and I think the tan plates will come in handy. :wink: Good luck with your modifications and parts retrieval! :laugh:

Thank you 'Pandora' for this review, EB's second on this set and it looks even better.....plus lucky you two sticker sheets plus they are flat. :grin:

Though I would at least sticker the shop, otherwise some might thing it's a crim's hideout ! :laugh:

Another coffee machine.....what's wrong with an espresso machine ? The cafe does look a little bare and the surf shop or should be renamed the dive shop really needs more merchandise. But hey that's what modifying sets is for right ? :wink:

I have just notice the dive helmets are silver grey, I have never seen them in that colour before and what is the deal with the life saving dude riding a quad bike with out a helmet what if he rolls it on a sand dune ! :devil:

The surf shop which is a little too simplified though I like the trick of using 2x3 cupboards to store stock etc., the design can be copied and you could end up doing a shopping strip along the sea/river front. :wink:

I can't wait to get this set......Brick On Everyone ! :grin:

Thanks lightningtiger! I think a shopping strip of different small shops based on a modified version of the surf shop would be very attractive, and would give a "touristy" feel to a beachfront. The cafe is bare, they have a menu but all they serve is coffee. I practically live on coffee, but just coffee isn't my idea of "Paradise"! :laugh:

Thanks for the review Pandora :classic: . I've just noticed the boat is the same colour as the bluebaseplates (duh) and that wont make the boat stand out.

Thanks The Yellow Brick. The boat is a really nice colour, but I agree, it doesn't "pop" on a blue baseplate, and a blue baseplate (or two) is the quickest way to add instant sea for this set.

Thanks for the great review. Your pictures provide a really comprehensive look at the parts and how the set goes together. This is really helpful when I start to plan my upcoming purchases.

Thank you very much, tedbeard, I appreciate your comments. :sweet:

I wonder why they didn't give the lifeguard the Series 2 lifeguard float in a new color?? Also for the shop I would have liked to see some more inventory like the new smaller surfboard w/new imagery or plain. Overall this set had great potential, I voted for Average. :wink:

Thank you Macoco. It would have been great to have new colours of CMFs accessories for sale in the surf shop, especially as there are quite a few CMFs that would fit well into this overall scene. :sceptic:

Outstanding review Pandora! Your images are "top-notch" :thumbup:

I picked this set up a few weeks ago, but haven't had a chance to open. I love the Classic Town look of the set and I applaud LEGO for offering this new sub-theme. I find the set to have an interesting choice of colors, especially with the green roof sections. The boat is also one that I would not expect in a beach-type scene but I like it for the adventure appeal, reminding me of a new flavor of Divers - color is right but the large size is new and different.

I'll have to build to appreciate the set more, but right now I really like it. I'll reserve my vote/rating until I get this set up with a few blue baseplates. Love your review though.

Thank you Brickster! :blush: Your comments mean a lot to me. I really hope you enjoy building this set when you do. :sweet:

Thanks for this incredibly in-depth review, Pandora! It was a real pleasure to read!

This is without a doubt my favorite set from the 'Harbour' city subtheme. I'd love to see TLC go all out again and produce something more along the lines of the superb Sail N' Fly Marina, but the small town feel of this set is quite pleasing never-the-less. I quite like the colour scheme of the set, and the amount of accessories is very welcome, but I feel another civilian - perhaps in a bathing suit would have been appropriate and helped make the set feel more complete (well, and a nice big blue baseplate too).

Thank you ZO6, again high praise. :blush: I completely agree about the lack of any sea, and the female minifig could easily have been replaced by one with a more "maritime" feel.

Thanks for the excellent review. Your photos are very sharp. It is a nice set.

Thank you for your compliments, dr spock!

Not the first, but the quality of the review is definitely impressive and makes it a real pleasure to read from start to finish. Thanks for finishing this up and sharing this with us Pandora! :thumbup: Seeing your take on this makes me wanna re-evaluate my view on this set, it's not as bad as I initially thought, it's still a pretty good addition to any coastal-based town layout.

Thanks Kiel! :sweet: I sometimes think I've been a little harsh on the set, as it is still a very nice set, but then I'm comparing it to my last build, Lighthouse Island, which was so much more fun and engaging.

Fantastic review Pandora! :wub: Your photos are brilliant and the review itself is very detailed and really enjoyable!

As I've already said in the past, when I first saw the pictures of the new Marina I was a bit dissapointed since I was expecting something similar to the good ol' Sail N' Fly Marina. The Harbour/Nautica subtheme is my favorite and the overall appearance of the new Marina didn't work for me.

Now that I've seen better and more detailed images I must say that I've changed my mind a little and things are not so tragic as I thought it would be. There is a nice choice of colours, accessories and minifigs and although that the marina's design is not something spectacular, it sure is compatible with today's City buildings' standards.

Thanks again for this very beautiful review! :sweet:

Thank you Zorbas! :blush: It is indeed easy to forget that overall there are a large amount of accessories, and that although not that many are in the surf shop, there are quite a few in the boat. I really hope that they will release complimentary sets to help integrate the Marina further into a City set-up. :classic:

Another great review on this set :thumbup:

Although I agree it is a bit bare in some spots, and I think it could use some blue plates. :sadnew:

Thank you for your comments Nightshroud99; we're all missing the sea. :sad:

Ah, your reviews are simply amazing Pandora, another splendid review. I have recently picked out this set since it stood out and was thinking of finding reviews about it to see what I will expect, and thanks to your review I have enjoyed building it, and really does stand out on the shelf. Your reviews always give the sets a positive feeling of it. Well done.

The set really reminds me of the somewhat shabby equipment rental places at some beaches in Southern and Central California. In particular stands that are down on the sand at Huntington Beach. There aren't so many true boardwalk areas around here. In any case, it isn't particularly fancy (and calling it Marina is rather regrettable), but looking at it in person always makes me smile, so it is certainly one of the more enjoyable sets I own. Combined with City Corner it really looks like my summers growing up.

Thanks for your in-depth review Pandora. While it's better than I initially thought, not even your review saves this set for me. It has some more depth than I thought. I like the idea of the set, with the life guard tower and surf shop, but the execution is just lacking. The silly bridge looks like it's just there to give the set some 'volume'. I'd have preferred it if they would have kept it a bit smaller, but much more detailed. But then again, this set is doomed to be compared to 6543 Sail N' Fly Marina by any AFOL. :grin:

See it on Classic-Town.net

Thanks, Pandora, for the great review!

I think the set looks excellent from the outside. It looks really busy and colourful. However, the inside is boring and dull. The surf shop really needs more merchandise, and the cafe should have food and some way of getting up to it :laugh: . The minifig selection is alright IMO. Three new torsos, a semi-rare hairpiece and a female. However, the lifeguard should be dressed in a lifeguard outfit (how's he going to save people whilst wearing a casual hoodie and jeans?), and the female should be more rare than a common head (no offence to your sig!), a common-ish torso and the most common female hairpiece.

Thanks again for the very in depth and well photographed review!

Ah, your reviews are simply amazing Pandora, another splendid review. I have recently picked out this set since it stood out and was thinking of finding reviews about it to see what I will expect, and thanks to your review I have enjoyed building it, and really does stand out on the shelf. Your reviews always give the sets a positive feeling of it. Well done.

Thank you for your compliments Roodaksta, and I'm really glad you enjoyed building the set. :sweet:

The set really reminds me of the somewhat shabby equipment rental places at some beaches in Southern and Central California. In particular stands that are down on the sand at Huntington Beach. There aren't so many true boardwalk areas around here. In any case, it isn't particularly fancy (and calling it Marina is rather regrettable), but looking at it in person always makes me smile, so it is certainly one of the more enjoyable sets I own. Combined with City Corner it really looks like my summers growing up.

I can see the association you make Invader Zim, but unfortunately that's really from pictures and films, having not been to California myself. It's odd, but I don't find this set particularly Summery; something such as an added ice-cream cart would have helped set the season, but I guess it's only approaching Summer in half the world.

Thanks, Pandora, for the great review!

I think the set looks excellent from the outside. It looks really busy and colourful. However, the inside is boring and dull. The surf shop really needs more merchandise, and the cafe should have food and some way of getting up to it :laugh: . The minifig selection is alright IMO. Three new torsos, a semi-rare hairpiece and a female. However, the lifeguard should be dressed in a lifeguard outfit (how's he going to save people whilst wearing a casual hoodie and jeans?), and the female should be more rare than a common head (no offence to your sig!), a common-ish torso and the most common female hairpiece.

Thanks again for the very in depth and well photographed review!

Thank you for your comments and compliments Gregorovich, no offence taken re: my sig-fig - she's quite happy with a common face, however the female minifig may have been more interesting for some if she were wearing a swimsuit! *oh2*

Thanks for your in-depth review Pandora. While it's better than I initially thought, not even your review saves this set for me. It has some more depth than I thought. I like the idea of the set, with the life guard tower and surf shop, but the execution is just lacking. The silly bridge looks like it's just there to give the set some 'volume'. I'd have preferred it if they would have kept it a bit smaller, but much more detailed. But then again, this set is doomed to be compared to 6543 Sail N' Fly Marina by any AFOL. :grin:

See it on Classic-Town.net

Thanks Rick! :wub: I didn't have 6543, but it does look a lot sturdier and seems to have more detail. It's quite probable that I would have been more disappointed with this set had I owned 6543, so fortunately for me it ends up being a minor disappointment.

And thank you for blogging, I'm really chuffed! :blush:

wow! what an incredibly detailed and enormous review. i wish they were all even half as good as this. :grin:

i honestly don't usually get much satisfaction from City sets as i'm mostly a Technic/Star Wars (and lately Harry Potter) fan but this review has really piqued my interest in this set and i think i'm gonna pick it up next time i go to Target if they have it.

anyway, thanks for the fantastic job.

Sorry to bring up this old topic, but I have an important question. How long does this set measure to?

Sorry to bring up this old topic, but I have an important question. How long does this set measure to?

I am also interested to know this...

The set is 47 studs wide, 20 studs deep and nearly 21 bricks tall (not counting the big black antenna).

This means:

cm: 38 x 15,8 x 20,5 without the black antenna (25 with)

inches: 14.8 x 6.3 x 7.10 without the black antenna (10 with)

I bought this set some 10 days ago from amazon.fr; it was (and still is) on sale for 30/31 Euros (+S/H), which is way much better than RRP (50 Euros), and it came with the new life jackets (3 regulars and 2 extras).

By the way, I rate the set "above average". The big cons are the price and that sort of "bridge"; it looks original, but I would have preferred a tighter building and maybe a beach scene.