Sign in to follow this  
darkwave_77

SOS for FNG (My MOC needs your help!)

Hello my Lego Pirate ship Fanatics,

My Name is Jason AKA DarkWave. My first toy that I can remember was a Lego Police car back in the late 1970 to early 1980. I’m in the US Navy, I have been on all kinds of ships , as well as HMS Victory and Warrior as Well as the U.S.S. CONSTITUTION + Constellation. I wont get to in depth with me yet. SO… I saw this web site and for the last month or so I have been looking at all you’re creations..WOW , that’s all I could say..I built a ship half way before I realized that my ship creation was looking like a rainbow ship ( lego bricks were fine just the colors were off). So my best friend became ebay and lego web sites . My Ship does not have a nation as of yet, I’m not sure if it’s gonna be USS or HMS so it’s got no name as of yet , yes it’s got a flag a blue X on white..Is that the French? When I get all the parts in from ebay , I’m going to break Her up and do it better . I know there are a lot of floors in my creation so far, please tell me what you think so far. Can I paint my gun’s to look the same?

I also ran in to a snag, the bow of my ship needs help, if you could post some of your photo of the side view and top view of your front end of your ships It would help me out .

Only 100 kb? I wanted to post more of my ship , but right now i need youre help on the Bow end of the ship.

Edited by darkwave_77

Hello Darkwave and welcome to Eurobricks. You already have put a lot of efford into the ship as it seems. If you want to post more pictures you should deeplink them. This tutorial shows you how to do this here.

Posting all of our orthographic-views in here seems a bit impractical to me. If you have a a look at the wonderful master index of the pirates forum, you'll see loads of brick-build ships. Click on them to see more pictures and usually there'll be plenty of great shots of bows.

I see great potential, I never made a ship that big so far eventhough I think I have enough bricks. my idea is to start small and improve while building bigger.

For shaping a ship this big I advise taking a look at this tutoral;

http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=30622

It sais frigate but with some adaptions you can approach the tumblehome on other types of vessels as well.

My latest ship was built using this technique.

5670165119_ed9ba75b8c_m.jpg

But the nicest ship ever based on this technique would be the Spanish Galleon (It should be somewhere in this forum as well).

Edited by Sebeus Iniwum

Thank You Sebeus Iniwum

Seeing all the steps realy Helped me out. I took down the other pic and put a newer one with out the bow.

post-16773-130584434521.jpg

1. Welcome to EuroBricks darkwave! I'm glad to see that you are into ships. You can check out the tutorials for shp building.

Though I think that this a fine good start. The curve on the broadside looks interesting. It looks a little tall though and bulky for the pre-fab LEGO hulls. But I think the look will improve once the bow is complete. (it looks wierd and should have a curve around the gull piece you are building on. I'm not good at explaining am i? :pir-tongue: ) And the masts seem a tad short. But overall, nice start, can't wait to see it finished. :jollyroger:

Welcome to the LEGO Pirates Forum Darkwave!

Seems like your thread is concerning a MOC you're working on so I'll move it to the Pirate MOC Forum.

Also, what does "FNG" stand for?

I guess I missed this topic before, but I hope you have found a way to solve this problem as its a very nice looking ship! As others have said there are many techniques, one that Ive been experimenting with on larger scale ships is this using curved slopes, similar to the Imperial Flagship:

5676982566_39924f4ae6.jpg

Another popular technique is using hinge plates and bricks to create a "round" shape above the brickbuilt hull. Here is a good example:

bowchasers.jpg

Anyways hope that helps a bit, if you've already solved the problem then disregard these examples. Every ship is different so perhaps you will invent a new method and share it with us! Looks great so far though, and welcome :thumbup:

:jollyroger: Dread Pirate Wesley

Thank You Sebeus Iniwum

Seeing all the steps realy Helped me out. I took down the other pic and put a newer one with out the bow.

post-16773-130584434521.jpg

I can see that you're doing really well so far, great job! :thumbup:

Also, what does "FNG" stand for?

I believe that would be "f***ing new guy". He's in the navy- they have lots of acronyms and... potty mouths.

Edited by ZCerberus

Hey I’m sorry that I have note posted in a while. I was on ebay getting parts that I will need for my ship. So far I’m about 400 US dollars in to it. The ship that you see has been belayed my last. In otherwords it’s been taken apart to hull. I just open an account with brick shelf .com and when I start I will let you all know. In about a month You will see my creation come to life and I will need you’re feed back on this. My inspiration to creating my ship was the HMS Leopard by Capt.K.

Oh!the ships has a Nation and a Name.. it sails out of Boston but it ain't a United States Ship AKA (USS), Nope it's the SS. Rattle Snake A privateer ship ( A pirate ship to HMS ships only). I want to thank Sebeus Iniwum for being the first to really help me understand the way you all create ships. Also Like to thank Dread Pirate Wesley for the two photos , I like what you have done with you’re creation , and yes you’re right I’m going off Track on my creation.

Yes LegoBeard, FNG stands for what you said. I have been in the US Navy for over 18 years and acronyms is way of life. Know it!!! Or Sink!!!

QA time (question and answer time) please all of you can pipe in.

1) I Intend to cut my old bow piece to make it wilder.

2) I’m thinking of painting my cannons flat black( like the HMS Victory ,Warrior ,U.S.S. CONSTITUTION , Constellation.

QA time (question and answer time) please all of you can pipe in.

1) I Intend to cut my old bow piece to make it wilder.

2) I’m thinking of painting my cannons flat black (like the HMS Victory ,Warrior ,U.S.S. CONSTITUTION , Constellation).

So, what are the questions? :pir-tongue:

I'm sorry to tell you that modifying LEGO that way is not-done here. Instead of cutting a bow piece, rather make a custom bow out of bricks.

That would look more professional and give you more honor.

You could paint cannons, but in that case do it properly without sweepings(?). But again, it's better to make custom cannons with existing bricks.

Here is a custom cannon index which could be helpful.

Good luck!

2) I’m thinking of painting my cannons flat black( like the HMS Victory ,Warrior ,U.S.S. CONSTITUTION , Constellation.

Cannons in the new Dark Pearl Gray are really close to the Flat Black you are looking for.

x110c01.jpg

I consider this close enough to black for my "iron" cannons.

I was on ebay getting parts that I will need for my ship.

I would STRONGLY suggest getting your parts from Bricklink instead.

I would also do search on the forums for Cpt. Greenhair's frigate building tutorial. I think that will he very helpful for you. Here is the link to that discussion. Click me for some frigate building

Edited by ZCerberus