Sign in to follow this  
Graynar

Johnny Thunder and the Key of the castle dock

There's been lot's of discussion on the end of JT (Johnny Thunder) themes and I always wanted to see a JT theme of Johnny in a castle theme. So I created a new villain, and started making some new sets. (Pretend of coruse) I hope you enjoy this set, I hope to make some more with the big set being a big castle. ;-)

So here's the first set: 19.99 $ American or 29.99 Canadian. (Sorry, I don't know what the Euro conversion is) With 172 pieces and 5 figures:

01thewholeset.jpg_thumb.jpg

The figures, (the two blue coats are the dock security)

The trap door

Ax trap

Johnny facing his enemy for the key to the castle

Hidden ruby

My old school helicopter (tried to make it look old fashioned) with a side gattling gun.

The other side of the copter (note: it can hold all of the pilot's accessories)

The whole set's accessory inventory

The folder

Please tell me what you think of the set. :-)

BTW: I wasn't sure if this was for the MOCs section or here, so move if you want.

Congrats Graynar on that interesting JT "revival" ;-)

Your set is interesting and I thought at first that it was quite weird to have so many mixed up elements from so many different themes (Adventurer, Castle, WW and Pirates). But looking at it again, I think they bland rather well together and the finished product is quite nice !!

You did an awsome copter there hehe but tyhe gattling gun isn't very JTish :-D

Great job on the overall but there is one thing that could be made better: the raft is quite plain IMO.

Hope to see more of those new "sets" ;-)

*yoda*

Your set is interesting and I thought at first that it was quite weird to have so many mixed up elements from so many different themes (Adventurer, Castle, WW and Pirates). But looking at it again, I think they bland rather well together and the finished product is quite nice !!

Thanks! It's always intresting when you cross differen't themes into one another.

but tyhe gattling gun isn't very JTish

Meh, it was just for fun and something new. JT needed some new weaponary.

the raft is quite plain IMO

Just a filler, like something TLC would make.

Hope to see more of those new "sets"

Me to, though not many people seem to be that intrested... 8-|

Hope to see more of those new "sets"

Me to, though not many people seem to be that intrested... 8-|

Well I felt the same way with some reviews (not that many responses compared to the work produced) but after all its not what's important ;-)

And I'm sure some members loke me want more of those Graynar creations ;-)

*yoda*

I love this, I can see why you made the raft plain, even though it's a MOC you wanted to keep along with TLG designs sorta, good and bad. I think it works really well, all of it! I like the hidden ruby especially, very LEGO-ish. Keep it up, I can't want to see more!

It feel not as exotic as the LEGO sets, but JT certenly goes to those kind of places to. We can imagine that he will be at the center of a bad plot when he come back home after a very long trip...

Good mix, it is not visible, so a good job. I want to see more.

And even if you don't have as many answer as you want, I think that some eurobrickers like me read some topics but don't take the time to add reply... I read more than I write.

Just 2 questions, what mean IMO and BTW? because I read them a lot and dunno what they mean...

Thanks for the comments!

what mean IMO and BTW

In my opinion and By the way.

Well I felt the same way with some reviews (not that many responses compared to the work produced) but after all its not what's important

Can't agree more.

you wanted to keep along with TLG designs sorta, good and bad

It can be hard to build like TLC. For example -people built MOCs are often much more detailed, sometimes a bit fragile. LEGO doesn't normally build super fragile sets, and try to limit their piece usage. That's always taken into consideration, even if the gattling gun wasn't :-/

It can be hard to build like TLC.

Hey, actually you forgot to add a ... catapult (or any other annoying shooting device - ASD !! Lool I invented another acronym *y* ) X-D ;-)

On a side note: Alex you can check out EB's Glossary ;-)

*yoda*

i really like what you have done here. i would love to see more AFOL build in the LEGO style of construction, rather than these multi thousand piece classic-castle style buildings and ships.

your photoshopping looks really really nice, so great job there. the gun blast and helicopter twirl is very effective.

however, i think the colors are a little bland if you are looking to make this look like an official LEGO release.

i do think that by adding the blue coats (a icon very symbloic of the pirates theme) you loose a lot, instead of adding. its kinda tricky to juxtapose such iconography, and do it well. because those torsos are so visually connected to LEGO pirates we get a feeling of disorder. something i would not recommend, and brings this MOC even farther from an offical LEGO release.

i do like all the small features, very key in building in the LEGO SYSEM style (1995-present anyway).

also, a key element in official LEGO themes (from this era) is the underlying story... and how that story plays out, and how each set (in the sub-theme) progresses that story.

this story concept is something LEGO started dabbling with in western, and fully fleshed out in each adventurer sub-theme. your story here seems a little weak, however that could be because we are only seeing one set in a whole new sub-theme of the adventurers.

this is all the more reason to keep releasing these MOCs. EB members may be having a hard time realizing what this set is about, without having the other sets (aka, having the other story elements).

so keep em coming !!!

- BM

There's been lot's of discussion on the end of JT (Johnny Thunder) themes and I always wanted to see a JT theme of Johnny in a castle theme. So I created a new villain, and started making some new sets. (Pretend of coruse) I hope you enjoy this set, I hope to make some more with the big set being a big castle. ;-)

So here's the first set: 19.99 $ American or 29.99 Canadian. (Sorry, I don't know what the Euro conversion is) With 172 pieces and 5 figures:

01thewholeset.jpg_thumb.jpg

The figures, (the two blue coats are the dock security)

The trap door

Ax trap

Johnny facing his enemy for the key to the castle

Hidden ruby

My old school helicopter (tried to make it look old fashioned) with a side gattling gun.

The other side of the copter (note: it can hold all of the pilot's accessories)

The whole set's accessory inventory

The folder

Please tell me what you think of the set. :-)

BTW: I wasn't sure if this was for the MOCs section or here, so move if you want.

you know this reminded me i would be cool if JT comes back {which sadly though i don't think they will} it would be neat to see a boat sorta like the THE SAND PEBBLE from the movie THE SAND PEBBLE i don't know if thats known to well in europe but what i mean is a big ship bigger then the ones they usually have with room for a jeep and lots of room for JT and his gang to move around just thinking

Edited by canadianD