Sign in to follow this  
jaster

MOC: Chesapeake and Ohio GP40-2

I just finished building a Chesapeake and Ohio GP40-2 in the Chessie System color scheme. The Chessie System used to run a branch line not far from where I have lived nearly all of my life (Indiana and Ohio now owns and operates on it; Baltimore and Ohio used to) and now makes up one of the two main railroads (CSX and NS) in Columbus, so it is somewhat special to me. Conveniently, my club takes its logo from Chesapeake and Ohio's, so it will fit in nicely at our exhibitions and with the other C&O rolling stock that our club members have built. The top two-sevenths of the locomotive should be dark blue, but I chose black so that I could render the locomotive as realistically (and cheaply :tongue:) as possible. I also chose not to make decals for it because I feel that the color scheme alone is enough to evoke the image of the real thing. I greatly appreciate any constructive criticism!

5727535962_2368b94114.jpg

The prototype: http://rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=1988397

See more pictures in my flickr photostream here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/jastermereel08/tags/chesapeakeandohio/

Very nice locomotive, jaster.

I like the colour scheme and the way you've captured the varied height of the handrail.

:classic: :classic:

Edited by AussieJimbo

Awesome work 'jaster'. I love the colors of Chessie engines! Take a trip to your local hobby shop or surf around online for Chessie stickers. I built one year ago and added stickers. Now all I need are orange bricks instead or red. Still yours looks awesome! :classic:

Excellent engine building there 'jaster', I like the black rails on the sides how they follow and bend to fit around the cab.

Brick On 'jaster' ! :grin:

I've always liked the color scheme of the Chessie locomotives, reminding me of HO train sets (seems there was always a Chessie available in HO). You've done a nice job at creating in LEGO. It's interesting to see the curved railing. Do you plan to add any decals?

Great job, Jaster! I've always loved the Chessie System, and hope to be able to make some like this myself, someday. Are you planning to have stickers/decals made?

Thanks, guys. As I said in the OP, I do not plan to put any decals on it.

Thanks, guys. As I said in the OP, I do not plan to put any decals on it.

Ooops. Sorry about that! The sheer excitement of seeing the Chessie color scheme in Lego distorted my thinking... :blush:

nice render of the chessie scheme. Dark blue would look better but i don't blame you for using the cheaper option, i would.

can't wait to see it operation.

nice render of the chessie scheme. Dark blue would look better but i don't blame you for using the cheaper option, i would.

can't wait to see it operation.

Thanks, Gerrit! Does this mean that you will be at the Ohio State Fair this year?

Good work. Love the Chessie colours. It would be nice to see the "cat" on it. :classic:

I said before that I think this is a great representation of the Chessie paint scheme. I agree that a picture of the real thing next to this Geep would help those from the US who haven't seen this scheme before appreciate what a great job you've done.

Thanks, Gerrit! Does this mean that you will be at the Ohio State Fair this year?

probably, i will definitely try. I've got dome new things to bring as well :D

You are correct, wrong photo from me. I didn't even look at what kind of loco it was, just posting a color scheme reference.