• Outstanding

thindexedgif.gif

Review: 30131 Jack Sparrow in Boat

Name: 30131 Jack Sparrow in Boat

Theme: Pirates of the Caribbean

Year: 2011

Pieces: ?

Minifigs: 1

Price: Free with the News of the World on Sunday 15th May 2011 (or £1 if you bought the newspaper just for the free Lego).

This is my third review on Eurobricks, so any constructuive criticism and feedback would be welcomed, so that my future reviews can be better and of a higher level.

This morning I had to join a massive queue outside my local WHSmith's to get today's free Lego with the News of the World (this set 30131).

Now to the review!

Bag and Contents

The bag uses a dark blue colour at the top with a 'sea' effect on it. The picture of the set is in a island like backdrop at sunset.

Bag front and back:

5722029990_98f132bc1f_z.jpg

5722031962_1aff974b66_z.jpg

Bag contents:

5721477193_54cd73c1b5_z.jpg

5722033864_40041b2aa3_z.jpg

There is the instruction leaflet, the parts are loose, except form Jack's hairpiece that is in a bag of its own.

The instructions (cover, front and back):

5722043344_f8d3559bca_z.jpg

5721482579_5cc9a9121a_z.jpg

5721486431_63be7b2bda_z.jpg

It is a double sided sheet, with the instructions consisting of 5 building steps and on the back there is an ad for all of the POTC sets.

The Minifig

The minifig of Jack Sparrow is detailed and looks like him, with a front and back printed torso, printed legs and a hairpiece with printing on. He also has a double-sided face (not pictured) with on the other side he is looking scared.

The hairpiece:

5722047236_24bf41088c_z.jpg

The minifig(front and back):

5721489923_722638d6bc_z.jpg

5721491613_1106446739_z.jpg

The minifig with sword:

5722052632_05e2af83cd_z.jpg

Build

The boat is a quick and simple build (just 5 steps), yet the finished boat is effective and looks good.

New/Interesting Pieces:

5722039544_1da7da0a65_z.jpg

There is the new bottle piece in Trans-Black and two wedge plate in Brown.

Complete Set

Without Jack:

5721495445_b30169e16b_z.jpg

With Jack:

5722056708_bf17e0899a_z.jpg

Extra Part:

5722028128_ac16aa8a60_z.jpg

My Ratings

Minifig: 10/10

The minifig is great and is a clear representation of Jack Sparrow, with a great hairpiece and printed body parts.

Parts: 10/10

The parts in this set are great, with a lot of brown for a promo and the new bottle piece.

Build/Design: 10/10

The design is great, and it looks good from most angles also, the minifig can fit in easily.

Playability: 9/10

The playability is good, children can push the boat around on surfaces, but the playability for children is less, because it is not yet clear what happens in the movie and where this comes (unless it has been in the previous movies, which I have seen none of.

Price: 10/10 Great value for money, just £1 for a great set, with a nice boat and great minifig in.

Overall: 49/50 An excellent promo!

Bonus Picture:

Jack set sail, not knowing what he would encounter, but he certainly didn't expect to sail into a pool of gold!

5721499309_b92de78375_z.jpg

Thanks for reading. :thumbup:

~buddy~

Thanks for the review, this is the first one for this set.

I want it so bad just for my collection, but I noticed as well, this would be the only set under $50usd where you get Jack with his hat.

[bloggedcp][/bloggedcp]

Excellent review 'buddy', but does Jack come with a double sided head like in the other POTC sets ? :pir-wink:

Great way to get a wine/rum bottle and a couple of swords too and of course Jack himself ! :pir-grin:

Keep on sailing and drinking that rum......but don't receive a black spot ! :pir-devil:

Excellent review 'buddy', but does Jack come with a double sided head like in the other POTC sets ? :pir-wink:

Thanks, I've just looked now, I didn't notice it at first, but Jack has a double sided head, with him looking scared on the other side. I've updated the review accordingly (but haven't taken a picture of the other side of his head. :pir-devil:

~buddy~

Thanks, buddy! This is certainly fantastic value for money, with a fully coated Jack, a bottle and swords. I really hope I get the chance to pick this up today. Thanks again for the nice review!

Oh, how handy another Jack with two faces ! :pir-laugh:

I voted above-average......beacause of the bottle and Jack ! :pir-wink:

Thank you for sharing with us. I am looking forward to pick up mine too. I am going to use the small boat for something fun. :pir_laugh2:

My wife was dragged to TRU in Cardiff Bay this morning because my son wanted this!

He did get one, along with an Alien Conquest set. :pir_laugh2:

Very nice promotional polybagged set, much better than the 'wooden' Jack Sparrow one. Looks to be the perfect, easiest, and cheapest way to acquire this Jack Sparrow fig, particularly to our lucky-as-always UK FOLs. Thanks for sharing this buddy! :thumbup:

Thanks for the review. It's good to see that you had no trouble getting this.

Excellent review. This is an awesome little set.

Too bad it's still quite hard to get it cheap in my country. When there's a good way to get one, I'd really want one!

Nice to see a review of this little set! I myself went out and bought myself 2 copies of 'news of the world' just for the Lego. One to keep and one to sell. This small promotional set might just have got me interested in the entire line of Pirates of the Caribbean Lego. I've heard that you can get a mini Black Pearl ship in tomorrows edition of 'The Sun' and it's picture looks very promising. Will you be doing a review of that set? :jollyroger:

Oh! Quite nice. I want one of those Jacks with the hat. They look better then the ones with the white arms. Anyone seen them in the US?

Aw man, Jack with the hat!! I wish I had told my boyfriend to get one for me on his way back home yesterday.