Sign in to follow this  
natelite

MegaBloks buys license to Gundam

did you read? apparently mecha hub has gotten news that megabloks bought the license to make gundam sets. this is clearly a challenge to lego's exoforce line. crap...gonna be interesting to see how this turns out.

http://www.mechahub.com/

read the news section of the link. it's the second from the top.

No need to panic Mega-haters...

Apparently this is a Japan-only line unless something changes in the near future. So LEGO has nothing to worry about really.

I found out about this last week and have only been able to track down 2 images from the recent Tokyo Toy Show

200610.jpg

20069.jpg

they look pretty damn decent so far. And rest assured I'm hard at work trying to find a way to get these for myself. I'll be sure to inflict full photoshoots and reviews on all the LEGO Brand-Faithful here as soon as I'm able >:-)

The preview image I saw a couple of weeks ago was promissing but this looks like CRAP :-X

megablocks gets all the good licences (Xmen, Spidey, Power Rangers :-D and now Gundam) but produces such crappy designed products at prices <to TLC's !!

Oh well !! At least Lego gets the crappy Exo Force theme (screems with excitment !!) *sing*

*yoda*

The preview image I saw a couple of weeks ago was promissing but this looks like CRAP :-X

in case anyone else is curious

gundam.jpg

Seems like two totally different deals really. LEGO's Exo-Force is built around Minifig scale while these seem more to be geared toward reproducing the Mobile suits in brick form. Although they will come with MegaMinifigs...but probably more for pack-in value then real interaction with the robot deino.gif

megablocks gets all the good licences (Xmen, Spidey, Power Rangers & Pokemon :-D and now Gundam) but produces such crappy designed products at prices <to TLC's !!

Oh well !! At least Lego gets the crappy Exo Force theme (screems with excitment !!) *sing*

Okie check this link for great pics of the september line-up ;-)

So since its real news and not speculation, I shall edit the title ;-)

*yoda*

Somebody hit Yoda, I think he's stuck. :-D

Anyway, I don't think these look that bad, but shouldn't it be in community, since it isn't actually about Lego?

ROFL !! Go and hit my computer :-D :-P

Actually I think we can make an exception for once ;-) (but you are right on the principle ;-) ) I'm afraid that if we put it in community it will not have responses since it will be overflown by so many other threads loool !!

I like the fact that its a direct competition with Exo (more or less) !!

*yoda*

*Goes to France and smacks Yoda's computer*

Anyways...

Why do you think the preview looks good, but the other picture looks like crap? The robots look about the same to me.

IMO, the teaser looked good from that angle but it looks very megablockish !! (d'oh !!)

Will need to see them "in person" to have a better opinion !!

I didn't like the UCE Batmobile but once I saw it in real I bought it ;-)

BTW, my computer tks you :-D

*yoda*

I remember a long time ago suggesting a Mobile Suit Gundam license for TLC. Sigh. This is so much nicer than ExoFarce.

However, I think there are cost issues with licenses - I wonder how much money Megablocks can make with this given their low cost items and need to pay licenses. Maybe TLC figured it just wasn't worth the trouble.

Can't help but think, though, what could have been...

Nothing personal towards Lego fans, for I am one myself, but I'm going to laugh my megablocks off at this one.

I love Gundam. I love bulding. This does it for me.

Exo-force didn't really do it for me. This definately will... the sets look great.

I can't wait, I'm getting one somehow...^^ Then I'll face it off with Stealth Hunter or something, and the megablocks-kicking of Lego will begin!

Lego beaten to the punch... I never thought I'd see the day.

Actually, I like ExoForce better. I always thought anthropomorphic mecha (Gundam for example) looked silly, and much prefer the headless, utilitarian(relatively) ExoForce types.

And of course the MOCs on brickshelf beat both of them...

However, I think there are cost issues with licenses - I wonder how much money Megablocks can make with this given their low cost items and need to pay licenses. Maybe TLC figured it just wasn't worth the trouble.

I've noticed Megabloks is very careful with licences...at least in the US.

The 3 Pokemon sets tanked here, so none of the stuff that's out in Japan now will make it to the US, although the collectable Brickemon figures are brilliant.

The Star Trek Enterprise set also went down in flames. Megabloks was trying to get a little of that Star Wars magic and floated the Enterprise past builders, and nobody bit. I got mine for $15 marked down from $35. I hate Star Trek but couldn't resist a spaceship model that size...and it really is a well designed and nice piece...but the market just isn't there...and Star Trek doesn't have that rabid collectors base Star Wars has...and it sucks :-P

So I'm thinking Megabloks may try this Gundam thing outwith those first two sets to begin with and then see how sales go. It's totally possible those will be the only two we ever see. deino.gif

These MB mechs dont look so bad.If i were not 100% a Lego fan,i would probably buy one of these...and if they came out in the Netherlands :-P .

Maybe Lego can beat this MB line by putting mechs in Exo Force in the style of the Life on Mars mechs...Those were sweet.

I hate to say this, but those accually look nice. *sad*

If this line were to come to the U.S. I would maybe pick one up at the store, but I wouldn't go out of my way to import...

I'll just stick to Exo-Force for now. ;-)

Or another solution: having UCE mechs ;-) (like the designer version but way better !!)

That would be amazing... maybe something along the lines of Klaupacius' designs. *sweet*

You could always... get the instructions, then build them using Real Legos instead...

good design, with quality bricks = WIN

You could always... get the instructions, then build them using Real Legos instead...

I was thinking the same at first but then realised that the head part seems to be molded !! So we are pretty screwed for that alternative ;-)

*yoda*

I was thinking the same at first but then realised that the head part seems to be molded !! So we are pretty screwed for that alternative ;-)

*yoda*

Well, I guess we could use Lego for all but the head, and then use the head from Megabloks. But then, is there any such place like Bricklink where you can buy single parts for Megablocks.

Maybe there is a site called "shitlink", or "craplink", or "fallapartinyourhandlink" or something..... :-)

I wouldn't want to buy the whole set, although given how cheap (both meanings) all MB items are, it may not be impossible.

So many issues to ponder..... I need a drink.

Well, I guess we could use Lego for all but the head, and then use the head from Megabloks. But then, is there any such place like Bricklink where you can buy single parts for Megablocks.

Maybe there is a site called "shitlink", or "craplink", or "fallapartinyourhandlink" or something..... :-)

ROFL X-D

That is hilarious Gyl !!

What troubles me is a MB part in a valuable Lego creation !! Once again another less crappy Exo hairstyle skittle dude can behead that MB part !!

Imagine on !!

*yoda*

ROFL X-D

That is hilarious Gyl !!

What troubles me is a MB part in a valuable Lego creation !! Once again another less crappy Exo hairstyle skittle dude can behead that MB part !!

Imagine on !!

*yoda*

Finally! a use for those annoying technic projectile launchers and dozens of kinds of useless catapults we get with all our sets (although I like the one with the Army of Vikings and Heavy ARtillery Wagon)! The Gundam's head will fall off even if the missile misses by a foot!

Finally! a use for those annoying technic projectile launchers and dozens of kinds of useless catapults we get with all our sets (although I like the one with the Army of Vikings and Heavy ARtillery Wagon)! The Gundam's head will fall off even if the missile misses by a foot!

I would never thought of agreeing to such a statement :-D ;-)

*yoda*

I will give Megabloks credit for making the body pretty well, but still, they didn't really do much at all. I mean other then remolding the head, what else did they do? I mean the real art is making bricks and turning it into something that looks like the real deal. That's what makes it special. I mean a creation like THIS will always win my admiration over the Megabloks model because of sheer ability to make do with things you have.

Anyhoo, that said, this isn't a half bad model. The design is pretty good, though it pretty well copy all the custom made Gundams on Brickshelf. However, you could never compare this to Exo-Force. One line focuses on human mechs, while Exo-Force is dedicated to making their own unique robots, which resembles actual battle suits.

Still, Megabloks beating Lego? HAH! Never! Lego is clearly superior and full of "win".

that gundam model on brickshelf is for display only (nice to see, not so nice to touch). MB and LG have to make sets which can handle rough kid's play.