Final Exit

Review: 7065 Alien Mothership

Name: 7065 Alien Mothership

Theme: Alien Conquest

Year: 2011

Pieces: 416

Minifigures: 2 + 1 "Alien pet"

Price: £49.99

Alien Conquest is the first Lego theme that I've bought all the sets from since the initial star wars line, I had a slight passing interest when I saw the early pictures that began floating around on brickshelf which soon developed into a serious urge to get them all once I'd seen the finished designs, rather looking forward to the second wave in 2012 if it takes that long :sweet:

Description (from lego.wikia)

Alien Mothership

The Alien Mothership has landed!

Breaking News! The Alien Mothership has appeared in the city skyline, right before the eyes of the intrepid reporter. As the massive UFO spins above his head with eerie alien noises, the reporter watches in horror as the abducting claw heads his way. Help the reporter avoid capture and live to tell his tale on the nightly news! his? :look:

Review

The mothership saucer is very similar to the Alien Abduction saucer but it is surrounded by eight train track pieces connected to a large technic swivel allowing the centre saucer to be held via the handle and the outer "track" section to be spun around, this activates the sound brick giving a pleasing alien sound :classic:

Built is pretty quick and apart from the repetitive assembly of the outer track section its very simple. Considering its pretty large size and general saucer-ishness, the mothership is remarkably swooshable too

Box

5713925356_0aeda6a035_z.jpg

Minifigures

The Alien Commander while similar the the pirate from the HQ set has a tentacle base instead of the peg leg arrangement and has two arms, head is the same set up but with a different paint scheme, the reporter is looking remarkably female considering the sets description on the Lego website, she has a nice clip board and comes with two microphones and has a double sided head.

5713366845_a8a55527b7_z.jpg

5713369377_5f220fea16_z.jpg

5713932702_db6cc05832_z.jpg

5713936234_cb4a458827_z.jpg

5713939606_e5816fd8e7_z.jpg

Saucer

5713947920_2448b34954_z.jpg

5713402037_c581362460_z.jpg

5713964904_dd3f8887a2_z.jpg

5713968238_187e20918a_z.jpg

Claw

5713953628_9250b76bec_z.jpg

Ratings:

Minifigs: 9/10

Minifigs are again great, the reporter is a really good new minifigure and the Alien Commander is superb, would have been nice to get another figure but not sure what or who.

Parts: 9/10

Some interesting parts, eight train track curves, lots of green transparent pieces, another 8x8 clear dome and the sound brick, so while the ship might have a lot of clear air in it, its also got some good parts too.

Design: 8/10

The main body of the Mothership is very similar to the Abduction set minus its grille and abduction light, the addition of the spinning outer ring and sound brick really work well and make the set far better than I was expecting.

Playability: 6/10

Once you've spun the ship around via its handle and made the sound a couple of times its worked all its magic, nice looking ship but not brimming with play features.

Price: 7/10

At just under £50 this set is bordering on being over priced but I think the size of the finished set and the

Overall: 39/50

A nice looking surprisingly swooshable set.

Hi-res pics and a video of the sound can be found here

Alien Conquest: Best new theme ever!

Alien get together. (from all sets)

5714055862_71ca5c8a34_z.jpg

And the people of earth.

5714047818_ed78e4ba0b_z.jpg

Thanks for the great review, Final Exit! The minifigures are excellent, with a new female outfit and head, a new alien torso and the squidman legs in green. The set is quite nice, but it's not really mothership material. It lacks a lot, like rooms and guns. It's also too expensive.

the reporter is looking remarkably female considering the sets description on the Lego website

I just checked there, and I now understand this comment. Made me laugh :grin: .

Thanks again!

Edited by Gregorovich

Oh man that redneck farmer guy makes my day... 'I seen them critters, takin my cows, probin' me at night' :laugh::tongue:

Can't wait to get my hands on some of those sets, although there seem to be too much 'air' in some designs, I really want to build me a saucer.

Very nice. Although after reading a comment in the Alien Conquest topic earlier, I'd like to see a photo of the underside to see what it ends up looking like in the final set.

I love the Alien Commander's military uniform and the fact that the news reporter's glasses are crooked on her "scared" face! The printed tile for her clipboard is amazing, although I think it would have made far more sense if it were a Reddish Brown tile with a White print instead of the other way around.

Interesting set, I must say I'm not really a great fan of the mothership, but the minifigs are just AWESOME ! :grin:

Thanks for the review 'Final Exit' and remember 'The Truth Is Out There, Scully'. :laugh:

You should probably add some descriptions and some more pictures. Most of the shots of the ship are similar and pretty much what the box shows. What does the cockpit look like? The underside? The sound brick? What are the most interesting pieces? How easily does it spin, and does the claw work well?

Thanks for the review! I bought this set from Toys R us' website on an impulse when I was ordering some minimates a couple of days ago. It should arrive tomorrow. I have to say I love this theme, but I'm on the fence about this set. After reading your review, I think I will be happy with my purchase.

Thanks for another stellar review Final Exit! This set is growing on me... somewhat. I still don't see myself (or too many other people) shelling out $60 for this skeleton of a mothership. But the overall aesthetics are quite nice and it works well as a display piece. The minifigures, while EXTREMELY disappointing in number for the price tag, are still awesome. I'm glad they're both exclusives, otherwise this set would be a very tough sell.

I'd like to see a few more photos, or even one of your entire collection put together. :grin: Still a great review!

Hers a few more pictures, to be honest the shots look like the ones on the box as thats it, there's just not much else to it :sceptic:

Cockpit has been forgotten I think, nothing in there, just a control stick, the claw it pretty well articulated and works really well.

I'll get some of them all together tomorrow if I get chance.

There are pictures of the other sets on my flickr stream

5714511436_518b723e27_z.jpg

5713946617_61e19f00b0_z.jpg

5713934403_54c037e165_z.jpg

5714490556_2ec89031ed_z.jpg

5714498898_1c2d63eb41_z.jpg

Edited by KielDaMan
Deeplinked Re-sized Images

Thanks for yet another great Alien Conquest review, Final Exit!

While 9 times out of 10 I'm all about having maximum playability in my sets, this is one of those cases where I can forgive the lack of play functions as the ship is still so darn cool. This set along with some of the others in the theme just scream to be displayed via fishing line suspended above the ground based sets. I personally don't find the price tag too ridiculous, but I guess that's only because of crazy prices found in some other themes...

I really like the use of train tracks to make up the outer ring of the ship. I wish these had been in the dark bley colour so that they'd incorporate better with the IJ stuff, but I'm bound to keep this set together anyways and not use it for parts. I don't mind that this set doesn't come with a support ship that would either eat up the pieces dedicated for the main ship or else drive up the price, but I do agree that for the price more minifigures should have been included. Both the figs included are awesome, but TLC seems to have been particularly stingy with the amount of them present in this theme.

I'm already looking forward to a second wave of sets (well, I really hope there's more to come). I can't imagine that we'd get a larger set than this for the Alien faction, but you never know.

Another wonderful review Final Exit, thanks for sharing! :thumbup: I really would have to agree that this Alien Conquest theme is one of the best themes I've seen in a while, there are no dull sets in the line and every set is very well designed like this one - great alien UFO saucer and nice new alien commander minifig.

BTW, I've re-sized the pics to a manageable size (Medium 640).

Thanks for the review 'Final Exit' default_thumbup.gif This set is easily my favorite. The minifgures are great and the parts included are nice aswell. I'm glad some things are printed.

Another excellent set in a very nice new theme....in the interests of limiting my spending I had wondered whether I might be able to pass on these Alien Conquest sets, but they're just too good to miss.

D.

Great review and thanks for this.

There was also an older Brick Journal video from February that showcased the Alien Conquest sets and their function. The sound brick function with the spinning on the mother ship is really fun, and I think combined with the Abduction set would be the best combo for an MOC.

The video is here:

Great review Final Exit, I'm probably going to get this set as well as the alien abduction set from the Alien Conquest line.

Thanks for the review!

I have no interest picking up any of these sets since I don't have any use for neither the sets nor many of the bricks, but I have to say that at least the overall concept and design of this one is neat.

5713369377_5f220fea16_z.jpg

This picture explains very well why I hate double-faced minifig heads :sick: It's a pity considering that otherwise the journalist is very well designed.

Thanks for the review! I came up with a reason why its a skeleton,because those empty spaces are portals where other alien craft can come from!

PS If it the set does not fit in the space,use your imagination. :laugh: