Sign in to follow this  
Dropsy

Replica of my house

What are your ideas about making a replica of your personal house?

Should I used 1 foot = 2 length brick?

Also what ratios do people use for height?

Any feedback would be great!

I've never done this myself, but I would base the scale on your doors or windows. Is there any part of your house that will be hard to reproduce or call for a specific part? Let that determine the proper scale.

No standard two story house, wrap around porch.

I was thinking of just using standard windows from bricklink, the 1x4x5, since each window is 2ftx5ft tall (about). So I could have a brink height be 1ft. I feel this will be a squatty house tho. Lets say my house is 42 feet long, at 2 studs each that would be 84 long , so about 27 inches, and lets say my house is 25 feet tall (at the peak), this would be about 10 inches tall, or I could do every three feet add a brick length tall. That would be about 3 more inches tall. I guess that seems about right?

Edited by Dropsy

If we think how large your house is, i have thinked at one meter in Legos is 4 studs at maxinum. Also the height of the house, actually goes whit the minifiure. Minifigure is 3 bricks high, so if we presume at you are 180 Centimeters tall and in bricks it would be 3 bricks, the replicas houses roof should be somewhere 5 or 6 bricks high, at least 4 if you go whit the low celing. Only my quick presumings how i would do my houses replica. You need to know how large is your house in total aquearemeters, and one meter is 4 studs. So all you need to do is to do some caculations and you should be fine. But remember at walls are always one brick thick atleast. I hope i helped even a little bit even at i think i didnt get the point what you ment. :classic: Oh well, we will see then. I have always hated mathematic, but its quite usefull even at i know i suck on it. :laugh:

PS: There is a thread somewhere in Eurobricks about `Minifgure scaling` or something, so you might want to check that out. :wink:

Captain Becker

I made my house on LDD, and I think the most important parts are the doors and windows, so I made it to scale with that. It's not exactly to scale, but it's pretty close. Just think of yourself as a minifig.

I am actually just going for the outside shell of the house, nothing on the inside.

I may have to change my feet to meters and do what you said about 4 studs = 1 meter = 3feet, that would cut the length down to 17.5 inches.

17.5 inch x 10ish inch might be more workable. and look more normal.

I made my house on LDD, and I think the most important parts are the doors and windows, so I made it to scale with that. It's not exactly to scale, but it's pretty close. Just think of yourself as a minifig.

If i think of my self as a minifig, and a minifig is 3 bricks height, that means if I am 6 foot tall, every brick height would be 2 feet? Seems like a short house.

A minifig is 5 bricks tall. You can make 1 brick for every foot.

A minifig is 5 bricks tall. You can make 1 brick for every foot.

Works for me! Thanks all. I think I will go 1 meter = 4 studs and then 1 foot = 1 brick height.

There's one possible problem with using 1 stud = 1 foot. At least in USA, most houses are built with walls being 6" thick so you'd need half a brick width to build walls. Walls are built with typical 2x4 beams which is closer to 3.5" wide, then add in drywall which can be as thick as 3/4" or 1" thick (depending on location and type needed) so you're pretty close to 6" in the end.

How about 1 stud = 6"? The wall would be to scale but the house may end up a tad large. My house is about 30 feet at the widest, which means 60 studs, 480mm or almost 19 inches wide.

PS I just may have to build my own house after all... The roof would be a bit tricky as half of my house is 1 story only and the peak of the lower meets the bottom part of the roof of second floor so a bit of awkward angle there.

Well the 1 brick height = 1 foot might work, since they make 1x4x5 windows, and my windows are 5 feet tall. Granted they are like 30inches but 4 studs = 1 meter should work.

Nice model btw.

Now to decide how many bricks I need.

There's one possible problem with using 1 stud = 1 foot. At least in USA, most houses are built with walls being 6" thick so you'd need half a brick width to build walls. Walls are built with typical 2x4 beams which is closer to 3.5" wide, then add in drywall which can be as thick as 3/4" or 1" thick (depending on location and type needed) so you're pretty close to 6" in the end.

How about 1 stud = 6"? The wall would be to scale but the house may end up a tad large. My house is about 30 feet at the widest, which means 60 studs, 480mm or almost 19 inches wide.

PS I just may have to build my own house after all... The roof would be a bit tricky as half of my house is 1 story only and the peak of the lower meets the bottom part of the roof of second floor so a bit of awkward angle there.

I was going to do 2 stud = 1 foot so yeah like you said 1 stud = 6" but my replica would be like 84 studs long or like 26 inches. The 4 studs = 3 feet makes the model about 17.X ish inches wide, much easier and much cheaper. I am not doing the interior walls.

I like the idea of a stylized reproduction. In other words a Legoland version of your house instead of a scale copy.

I may give this a shot.

I like the idea of a stylized reproduction. In other words a Legoland version of your house instead of a scale copy.

I may give this a shot.

You know after thinking about it, I might just make a model and skip the whole "scaling" aspect.