Sign in to follow this  
Mr. Smee

Lego Pirates Desktop Wallpaper

Hello all. I have made some Lego Pirates desktop wallpaper using catalog scans found on Peeron. I had to do a ton of image editing to get them looking halfway decent, such as removing seams down the middle, removing artifacts, etc... They are 1280x1024 size. Please let me know what you think! *pirate*

lego01_sm.jpg

Click to download

lego02_sm.jpg

Click to download

lego03_sm.jpg

Click to download

And this wallpaper is 1024x768 since I could not find a larger version:

lego04_sm.jpg

Click to download

Enjoy!

This is a good effort as I think the first two are suitable, but the last two aren't very good.

The third image is very grainy and its background is distortedly blurred so it doesn't look intentional nor stylistic. The background of the fourth image hasn't came out very well and the colour looks very patchy.

What program(s) have you used to create these wallpapers?

Exactly what did you do to these images? Did you adjust them in anyway? I.e. Brightness and Constrast, Hue and Saturation, etc.

The first image could use an unsharp mask methinks...

Exactly what did you do to these images? Did you adjust them in anyway? I.e. Brightness and Constrast, Hue and Saturation, etc.

The first image could use an unsharp mask methinks...

Yes, I did a ton of image editing to them. I'm actually glad you cannot tell, that means I did it fairly well haha! The first image was actually two seperate pages scanned in, so they had crese marks along their left and right sides. See here: http://www.peeron.com/scans/260-1/38 I also adjusted brightness, contrast, levels, removed noise, and I actually did use an unsharp mask as well. By putting the settings any higher, it didn't look as good. For the second image, I used this picture: http://www.peeron.com/catalogs/1989/medium/1/ and adjusted all the setting like from the first one, had to expand the left and right side to get the correct aspect ratio, I shrank the Lego logo, as well as general cleanup of dust and lint that were scanned onto the image.

At the time of posting I hadn't seen the originals but it appears you've improved the first one quite a bit. Have you considered fixing up the background in the Black Seas Barracuda?

I would use wall paper number two if you could replace the Captain Rogers with Captain Ironhook. Why is it always this Captain Rogers anyway? Why can't Captain Ironhook get some glory once in a while?

Mr Smee are you going to do anymore work to the latter two wall papers to clean up their backgrounds?

I'm using the second wallpaper and it seems to work well when the position is set to "stretch". It would be good to know what other users think of these wallpapers...

Is this legal to take Pirate Lego pictures and make them into wall papers? Would it be best if someone made a wall paper from scratch like Evil Wily was planning to do before he stopped posting.

Seeing as he is not selling them, I don't think there is anything illegal about it. These were done really well, are you planning on adding more to this collection?

I love the first wallpaper, I'm using him on my computer. I like the ships on it, they don't seem to be something TLC created, so they probarly are MOCs, why don't you post them on the forum (or aren't these your ships)?

I love the first wallpaper, I'm using him on my computer. I like the ships on it, they don't seem to be something TLC created, so they probarly are MOCs, why don't you post them on the forum (or aren't these your ships)?

They are created by The LEGO Company acutally. This is a page out of the LEGO 1990 (is that the correct year?) ideas book. The ideas book contains complete instructions on how to build those ships however being an ideas book you need to buy a Black Seas Barracuda or Caribbean Clipper to get the necessary pieces.

They are created by The LEGO Company acutally. This is a page out of the LEGO 1990 (is that the correct year?) ideas book. The ideas book contains complete instructions on how to build those ships however being an ideas book you need to buy a Black Seas Barracuda or Caribbean Clipper to get the necessary pieces.

Wow I didn't knew that :-) Isn't it strange that TLC didn't release these ships.... They aren't bad at all.

I assume they haven't been released because they don't really offer anything new, rather they're just alternate models for existing sets. Although I think I like the Caribbean Clipper in that picture better then the actual set. But its probably just the picture and in reality that ship would be inferior.