Brickdoctor

EB's LDD Relay Community Builds

What do you want to see in the next RCB? (this poll will be updated with options as suggestions come in)  

70 members have voted

1. 1. What should the subject of RCB 5 be?

• TwinLUG Micropolis-bases City
    • Castle
    • Town
    • Western Town
    • Renaissance-era Street
    • Ninjago/Feudal Japan Village
    • Ancient Civilization City
    • Landscape
    • Space
    • Trains
    • Pirates
    • Post-Apoc
  2. 2. What are some features you want in the next RCB? (pick as many as you want)

• More parts allowed
    • Any colors for any bricks allowed
    • More builders
    • DbM-mode only
    • LDD 'All-Star' builders RCB
    • None - I think they're great as is!
    • BasOne is not allowed to sing.
    • Each builder turns the previous model into something else

Even if we do get that option, we still need to keep realistic. No one is going to believe a 33mm wagon wheel in trans-green color or a purple cow. ;)

:laugh: Usually, the host will set a rule against ridiculousness, and reserve the right to remove anything that is.

:laugh: Okay, I guess you guys can save that for the next Free-build RCB.

Does no one want to host RCB 3? :look:

:laugh: Okay, I guess you guys can save that for the next Free-build RCB.

Does no one want to host RCB 3? :look:

I'm trying to become a citizen first and host the next one but I'll do it if nobody will? or maybe I could be a co-host so I could learn so I could host the next one? Brickdoctor, you could host 2 mabye?

I'm trying to become a citizen first and host the next one but I'll do it if nobody will? or maybe I could be a co-host so I could learn so I could host the next one? Brickdoctor, you could host 2 mabye?

I think most of us agree we'd like you to participate as a normal builder in one first. Just to get some experience. :wink:

I think most of us agree we'd like you to participate as a normal builder in one first. Just to get some experience. :wink:

Ok, I need some experience before I host a event. Completely understand! :sweet:

I'm the one vote for "landscape" at the moment. :classic: But I wouldn't be heartbroken to see any other theme. I guess my second vote would be for a pirate town.

I also want to point out that I didn't want to vote for any of the terms in the second part of the poll. It wouldn't let me vote without choosing at least one of them, so I chose "more parts", because that's always good, lol. :tongue:

I also want to point out that I didn't want to vote for any of the terms in the second part of the poll. It wouldn't let me vote without choosing at least one of them, so I chose "more parts", because that's always good, lol. :tongue:

I've added a 'None' option to that question. :wink:

I've added a 'None' option to that question. :wink:

Thanks. I re-voted.

If I'm cleared for hosting I'd be willing to do it. thursday afternoon my semester is over, so I ought to have sufficient free time. but I definitely want to participate too..

sad to see nobody else picking western or japanese town :sceptic:

• also, I know it's always vile to bring up one's favorite obscure intellectual properties, but just a thought, and it could be made generic enough:

something like a generic All-World of Stephen King's Dark Tower series:

It's post-apocalyptic, but it's post apocalyptic by thousands of years. Civilization has restarted, to a world with an order of cowboy knights, living spartanly in ruins of an arthurian castle, with down-to-modern-earth commoners out in western style towns (complete with saloons), deserts, forests, shores, mutant animals, stonehenge-y stuff hangin around;

BUT smattered with run-down mysterious traces of the modern and futuristic: abandoned subways crawling with mutants, oil derricks, evil AI monorails, robots, new york ruins, 80ft biomechanical animals guarding portals to other worlds, wrecked planes, outposts full of computers, invisibility jackets, ATVs and war machines

yeah, it's a little out there. guess that'll just have to turn into a personal project. but just as an alternative to the played-out left4dead post-apoc, a richer, captivating post-apoc experience that's a blend of lots of the other stuff.

• And another thought:

everybody talks about upscaling the heroica boardgame theme (as in "What I want to see is minifig scale manifestations of this"). we could make that happen with a community build.

• one more: a space twist on a non-space theme?

for example, here are my WIP dabblings in spaced up fright knights/wolf pack:

My link

And please don't think that because I have crazy suggestions I can't be a contented cooperative team player with whatever everyone wants :grin:

All ideas are welcome. :classic:

If I had to pick one, I would say the first, because it seems to have the most potential as an RCB, but I fear you might not get many participants. I l really like the idea of a large Heroica board, but I think that one should wait until the official sets have come out and we have a good idea pf game mechanics.

So you've contacted Superkalle about hosting, right?

Nah not yet. I just have to PM him?

Yep. Tell him you're interested in hosting an RCB. If he gives you the green light, you're good to go. Edited by Brickdoctor

I voted for 'Pirates Port' as that is something I would be interested in seeing, although the 'Ancient City' is also an interesting choice. I do think that people should be allowed to use whatever colours for bricks, as it is unlikely something like this would get built in real life, so sticking to known colours is not needed. I do think the whole 'LDD 'All-Star' builders RCB' idea is a bit pathetic.

But...

I know the 'Relay' aspect is being emphasised here, and this has strategy has been done well. I do really think the next build should emphasise 'Community' a bit more. As in a theme or topic is picked, the host (who has a good computer) then allocates squares to the participants. Members make their area (within a piece limit), and send the file to the host, who will assemble all the separate buildings together.

I am not saying that the previous builds were wrong, they were fun to watch. But surely it would fun to see something different for the next one?

The benefits are more members can be involved, who do not have to scheduled. Of course a deadline is imposed. The only problem is making sure the host has a powerful computer to assemble the finished model.

Members make their area (within a piece limit), and send the file to the host, who will assemble all the separate buildings together.

Interesting point.

I guess the strength of the RCB is that it slowly grows and that it keeps the suspense up. The negative side is you have to wait for your turn - true.

But the "allocated lot" version also has some element of surprise to it - to see what the others have done, so I guess that could be cool too. And you don't have to wait.

On the other hand, the RCB also has the element of being inspired by others - I guess it can be easier to build on what others have created, and then when you're up to speed to start building the foundation for the next building.

Maybe it's possible to combine the two :wacko:

Another thing I'd like to ask in general, is if there is interest to build the MOC in physical bricks. I could ask at TLG if they are willing to sponsor bricks, and then the finished result could be displayed at let's say Legoworld (EU) or some of the bigger US conventions. I have not clue if TLG would be interested in this, but maybe.

That's the general idea of a plain Community Build; if we do it that way we completely neglect the 'Relay' part. I have considered it myself, but it's between lots of 'Relay' and some 'Community' or lots of 'Community' and no 'Relay' at all. And given that this is a Relay Community Build...

That's the general idea of a plain Community Build; if we do it that way we completely neglect the 'Relay' part. I have considered it myself, but it's between lots of 'Relay' and some 'Community' or lots of 'Community' and no 'Relay' at all. And given that this is a Relay Community Build...

It would not really be a 'plain' community build, as all the contributions would be rendered together. Obviously I know that happens in real life for displays, but, it has not happened on any of the past Eurobricks Community Builds.

Edited by mikey

It would not really be a 'plain' community build, as all the contributions would be rendered together. Obviously I know that happens in real life for displays, but, it has not happened on any of the past Eurobricks Community Builds.

Another postive thing with a relay build is that it's something that can't be done with physcial bricks. So in a sence you are more using LDD as a tool to do something new.

Anyway, I'm inclined to "vote" for a pure Relay build, but it sure doesn't rule out that we could also do a "lot allocation" build if there is interest for it.

Anyway, I'm inclined to "vote" for a pure Relay build, but it sure doesn't rule out that we could also do a "lot allocation" build if there is interest for it.

Agreed.

Another problem with an LDD Community Build is that with a space limit, some people might need more bricks to build what they want. With an RCB, someone could start a tower and another could finish it. With a CB the first builder has to finish the tower by himself. And if you remove the parts limit, then the host's computer is at a greater risk of crashing.

It looks if the 'space theme' is winning out over the rest.

But i don't see even one mention of... here it comes.

A Space Port.

Think Moss Eisley, buildings, hangerspaces, (ground) vehicles, and smallish spaceships.

I think a Moss Eisley style spaceport could be fun as you can incorporate every LEGO space theme and alien/robot there is (in LDD).

(Or just make something up and not go with a 'style')

A classic space style vehicle meandering down the street while a Insectoid style ship is taking off (or landing).

I do think it will require a higher parts limit and more 'players' as well as 'any colour allowed' to pull it off decently, but that maybe be just me :laugh:

And i'd better be in RCB 3 Brickdoctor... or i will start singing again :tongue:

Edited by BasOne

It looks if the 'space theme' is winning out over the rest.

But i don't see even one mention of... here it comes.

A Space Port.

Think Moss Eisley, buildings, hangerspaces, (ground) vehicles, and smallish spaceships.

I think a Moss Eisley style spaceport could be fun as you can incorporate every LEGO space theme and alien/robot there is (in LDD).

(Or just make something up and not go with a 'style')

A classic space style vehicle meandering down the street while a Insectoid style ship is taking off (or landing).

I do think it will require a higher parts limit and more 'players' as well as 'any colour allowed' to pull it off decently, but that maybe be just me :laugh:

Nothing in the description of 'Space Station' says the station can't be an outpost on the moon with a spaceport. :wink:

And i'd better be in RCB 3 Brickdoctor... or i will start singing again :tongue:

I'm probably not hosting RCB 3. :wink: I'll be doing 4 or 5.

Nothing in the description of 'Space Station' says the station can't be an outpost on the moon with a spaceport. :wink:

Well with space station i think something like Deep Space 9.

With outpost i think along the lines of the outpost in Starship troopers.

With Space port, i think Moss Eisley :tongue:

I'm probably not hosting RCB 3. :wink: I'll be doing 4 or 5.

So?

:devil:

Edited by BasOne

I told the Brickdoctor I was in love with Bricks

I told the Brickdoctor I was in love with Bricks

And then the Brickdoctor, he told me what to do

He said that ....

Ooo eee, ooo ah ah ting tang

Walla walla, bing bang

Walla walla, bing bang...