AussieJimbo

MOC: Engine Shed and Turntable

Time for a few quick shots of my latest piece of railway infrastructure, a three road engine shed and turntable.

It's built to accommodate locomotives up to Emerald Night width and length and Toy Story Loco height. That wasn't too hard to achieve for the turntable, building the shed big enough was a different matter.

It got a bit out of hand really but once started it had to be finished. Lucky the Log Cabin set was on special recently which limited the pain slightly. There are an embarrassing number swallowed up in this build.

As it stands I'm about 90% complete, with the interior still needing a floor, equipment, spares, tools, etc.

I hope you like it.

engine.shed.main (Small).jpg

Large

turntable.main (Small).jpg

Large

turntable.emerald (Small).jpg

Large

engine.shed.turntable.front (Small).jpg

Large

I'll post some more pictures as work progresses.

Comments and suggestions appreciated.

:classic: :classic:

Edited by AussieJimbo

This is already a great job! If you integrate it later on a larger layout, perhaps themed as a yard for repairing/cleaning the locos, it will be superlative.

Lucky the Log Cabin set was on special recently which limited the pain slightly. There are an embarrassing number swallowed up in this build.

Please embarass yourself and let us know! :tongue: I'm curious...

Thanks Legoist.

Yeah, there are a few additional buildings that I'll want to include down the line. A maintenance shop with locomotive lift, a sanding/coaling/water tower, maybe and ash-pit siding.

I can run plenty more tracks off the turntable so there's plenty of scope for expansion but it will need heaps of room.

Don't you want to have a guess at the Log Cabin count first? To get you started, it's more than ten.

Edited by AussieJimbo

Excellent work 'AJ', great job on the turntable.....how does it preform ? :wink:

Plus is there anything inside the train shed....apart from trains. :grin:

Brick On 'AJ' ! :grin:

Excellent work 'AJ', great job on the turntable.....how does it preform ? :wink:

Thanks mate. It works really well. The clearance on the rails is no more than a millimetre and the geometry worked out perfectly so the gap is the same for every track.

The turntable itself spins very freely. At the moment I use a couple of 1x4 tiles to secure things when a loco is running across it but I'm looking at adding a little latching mechanism of some kind.

Beyond that I have plans to automate it with mindstorms using a drive belt or Lego chain drive (probably belt drive for greater precision)

Plus is there anything inside the train shed....apart from trains. :grin:

Brick On 'AJ' ! :grin:

You're always after me for interiors. -laugh-

That's the missing 10%. I've got a few things planned to go in but it needs a floor yet.

(I still haven't finished the interiors of the station either)

Edited by AussieJimbo

Great start on this shed and turntable 'AussieJ' :thumbup: Can't wait to see the progress leading to it's completion. Keep up the great work :classic:

Thanks OzVP.

The handrail is made of black water spouts, skeleton feet and 6 long bars. It will be tweaked slightly when I put a little control station on that wider bit in the middle of the turntable.

Excelent job, AussieJ. Now these engines have a nice home.

I'm looking forward to more pictures.

This is an outstandin creation! :thumbup:

I'm building a wide turntable platform modifing the original project of blokbricks, but I haven't in mind to build a so beautiful engine shed

Great work! :sadnew:

Thanks LT12V, that's very good of you. That blokbrick turntable is interesting with it's off centre point of rotation.

You'd better watch out, this build just started out with the turntable but once I'd seen how nicely the tracks lined up something had to be done with them and it snowballed from there.

Excelent job, AussieJ. Now these engines have a nice home.

I'm looking forward to more pictures.

Cheers mate. My locos are very happy.

I'll take some more detailed photos when I've progressed the interior and tweaked the way the roof is supported.

Edited by AussieJimbo

What no interiors yet ? :laugh:

Only joking 'AJ', it's good to know your turntable works well.....my friend with the 520 is thinking of building one. :classic:

Keep going and Brick On 'AJ' ! :grin:

Very nice AJ. Turntables are always a difficult challenge with LEGO. I'm really impressed with your three-train engine shed. Love the colors. :wub:

Thanks Brickster, much appreciated.

Turntables can be tricky but I was quite surprised how easily this came together. Building it three straight/48 studs long (49 if you count the half stud rail overlap) to accommodate the Emerald Night made for a perfect outer circle of 50 stud diameter.

The 8 wide support blocks with hinges then fit together at 22.5 degrees, the first track just needs one curve to bring it back onto the grid. One of those great Lego moments when their underlying design consistency just helps things fall into place.

I also have to thank Lego for the nice Log Cabin colour scheme, one of the benefits of using multiple creator sets is they've usually put a pretty good set of colours together for you to work with. As soon as I saw it I knew I wanted to use the bricks for the working buildings of my railway, turned out I needed quite a few of them (OK Legoist I used about 16 of them and various other bits and pieces from elsewhere). It's a smaller set than the Apple Tree house sets I used as a base for my station and signal box.

Of course there are plenty of unused pieces from those sets that I'll have fun finding a use for though I'm scratching my head with what to do with the dozens of chicken legs I've now got at my disposal.

Edited by AussieJimbo

Lego turntables are usually quite hard to do and you've made it look so easy default_thumbup.gif

brilliant work 'AussieJimbo'.

I love the engine shed, great work with that aswell.