Sign in to follow this  
Dino_Bot

Review: 4892 Creator - Prehistoric Power

indexed.gif

Well, this is a review of the awesome Triceratops.

This is probably one of the best creator sets Lego has made, and its...about prehistoric animals. Red prehistoric animals.

The main model is a beautiful red Triceratops.

The build is easy, yet complex, and very solid. At the end, the results won't dissapoint. You are given a big Triceratops that's got lots of play value in it. He's got many points of articulation, including two points in the torso, making it very realistic and able to achieve many balanced poses as well. And its accurate too, but you can't really go wrong with a Triceratops when being accurate...He is mostly red, with some dark red, a tiny bit of grey and black, and a beige belly and horns, along with some blue and trans green eyes, which are Bohrok eyes. The new ball joins are very complex, and very fun to play with, MOCers will have lots of those in this set, and will find almost every piece of this guy useful, for anything.

As for the other sets one can do with this 8 in 1 wonder...

I haven't done any, but you have instructions for a generic Pterosaur, looking much like a Pteranodon, or a short crested Nyctosaurus, two generic carnivorous dinosaur, one which looks like a skinny and young T.Rex, or some kind of agile coelurosaur, and another smaller one that seems to be some kind of raptor judging by the toe claw. You can also make a Parasaurolophus, a Stegosaur, and a long necked dinosaur. The booklet also has inspirations being a prehistoric dragonfly, a Jurassic Park Dilophosaurus (with the frill), other pterosaurs, some prehistoric mammals, a plesiosaur, a good looking Ankylosaur, and a crocodilian.

I was wondering if you could make the other carnosaur dinosaur along with the stegosaur, have enough pieces for each...Oh, well, something to think about or figure out by buying another triceratops, to not destroy this one..

Also, I forgot to mention this, in the main instructions, there's other instructions to make a mammoth whole, he would be as big as the triceratops, and seems pretty cool too. Also on the main instructions booklet there's more inspirations for bigger sized creatures, a Dimetrodon, a Kuehneosaurus, a nice looking Brachiosaurus, and a Smilodon which looks more like some sort of bear, but, ho well...I'd love to build the Brachio, as according to my estimates, he'd be in scale with a MiniFig!

Anyways, you HAVE to buy this set, if you like Legos, and dont have this set, I should send my triceratops on a stampede at you...

A+++++++++++

Here's a couple bad pictures, comparing him to other Lego Dinosaur sets and Supernova, a Vulture Droid, and Luke on top.

Picture17.jpg

Picture18.jpg

GAH!!!someone get this ugly thing off me before I catch it stupid...

Picture19.jpg

WHOS KING OF THE JUGNLE NOW SUCKA!!!?!?!

Picture20.jpg

*in Arnold Schwarchzenegger voice* I am.

Uh oh...

Nice review, Dino_bot. I've contemplated purchasing him. Your review pretty much solidifies that decision. Where and when did you buy your model? I haven't seen it around my parts, lately.

I take it you don't have any of the viking dragons?

I don't have any Viking sets, I'm not much of a Viking fan...

Eh, I am arriving to the conclusion they don't sell these at Wal-Mart, or Target or Shopko and K-Mart, I've only seen them at Lego Stores, LegoLand CA, and Toys R'Us, which is where I bought mine abount 3 months ago.

Toys R' Us is your best bet at finding this guy.

And I am really mad at the fact that they already retired the T.Rex one. For some reason it never appealed to me so much, but I saw him in LegoLand, modeling, and I...wow. Why was I so stupid.

Anyways, I'm glad you liked my review ;-)

The first thing in my mind when I see this set was.. wow there's enough parts to make a really sleek sports car here.

One gripe I have is that the hinges that connects to his body segments are loose. otherwise, a great buy!

I've built it yesterday, and woaw! This triceratops is bigger and more beautiful than expected! After that, I realised that the artbox doesn't give it a so good point of view. There are other positions that give the triceratops a better look, like in real...

I really love it, with good colors and a fun construction. I will build all the alternativ models and I will try to make the ones just shown in pics like the ankilosaur (looks good too)

I got this as a birthday gift, about a month ago. My dad asked to me "Do you want to go to the toy store, to buy a Lego set for you birthday?" Of course, I said yes, hoping to find the KK Rogue Knight Battleship. But it wasn't there, so I chose this set. When I came to home, I realized that it was far better than that ship. I built some small models of level 1 and 2, then I built the Triceratops. When I finished it, I was like...wow. It's big, sturdy, and complex, and just looks awesome, very well worth the 24.20 Euro I dad (:-$) payed for.

My only possible gripes are:

1)The special connections used between each of the 3 parts of the body, while are useful to put the big guy in more poses, leave small but ugly spaces from the sides. I think that Lego should have made special rubber pieces to cover them, or it should have made the body one big piece.

2)Why is it red? The set was made like that to go along the T Rex set, so I ask: how could a dinosaur be red? Is it without skin or what?

That being said, I like how Lego combined and distributed well red, dark red and tan into the various models (which are also good, but not as good as the Triceratops ;-) ) , I like how the three colours look together.

Shakar

2)Why is it red? The set was made like that to go along the T Rex set, so I ask: how could a dinosaur be red? Is it without skin or what?

Actually, no one really knows what color they were. All those nice animations we see on TV today are just educated guesses based on their skin. For all we know they could have been pink with bright green spots.

The red in this set should probably hint some brown-ish color. But I agree, it's a great set. And again, better in real life than on the pics :-)

Maybe a green one would be good too, with normal green and dark green. But red is good as well. I made all the models, with the instruction and the "idea". I taook some pics and put them in my gallery soon...

The triceratops is the best of them! *wub*