Sign in to follow this  
lightningtiger

REVIEW - Cars 2 - 8423-1: World Grand Prix Racing Rivalry

Oh, yeah.....you will not believe my luck at a Target store tonight ....they said no we don't have that.....ha, ha, HA ! :laugh:

On a display of all Cars 2 movie gear.....I give you......

8423-1: World Grand Prix Racing Rivalry

0000_8423_0.jpg

Oh, joy I felt and guess what this is only the first of my four or more reviews....yes, I have another three sets to review in my first batch ! :laugh:

Okay, back of the box now.

0000_8423_1.jpg

Link - BRICKSET

Now we need a close up of these two racers, and yes, Lightning does look well, might I say upset (I guess I could have used stronger words but hey kids might be reading this :laugh: ) ! :wink:

0000_8423_2.jpg

Okay, now the DSS is not a bad one I guess and none goes on any of the cars ! :grin:

0000_8423_3.jpg

Next, Bag ONE which are the parts for the two racing cars - note a white for the F1 car is seperate from bag 1.

0000_8423_4.jpg

Right, now the special parts and man, it was hard photographing all this so we'll see how we go eh ? :wink:

0000_8423_5.jpg

Well. those were the printed tiles.

0000_8423_6.jpg

And no wonder with this guy eh ? :laugh:

0000_8423_7.jpg

Don't you love the detail, he doesn't look his normal happy go lucky self ? :wink:

Okay now to make things easier on me, sorry......shots are from after steps 5, 10, 15 and final builds of Lightning McQueen and Francesco - remember that name as I feel it will pop up quite a bit in the new movie ! :wink:

First, our hero.

0000_8423_8.jpg0000_8423_9.jpg0000_8423_10.jpg0000_8423_11.jpg0000_8423_12.jpg

Now, for Francesco (man, I'll bet he is a real you-know-what eh ?) :wink:

0000_8423_13.jpg

0000_8423_14.jpg

0000_8423_15.jpg0000_8423_16.jpg

Our hero had one more shot taken of him, only because they call him Lightning ! :laugh:

Bag TWO.

0000_8423_17.jpg

Now the start/finish line is pretty simple so I'll only highlight a few things.

0000_8423_18.jpg0000_8423_19.jpg0000_8423_20.jpg

Done !

0000_8423_21.jpg

NO WAIT !

0000_8423_22.jpg

Well, we knew who would win that race eh ? :laugh:

Right then lets rate this set.

Design - 3.5/5 - though not as challenging as Speed Racer sets still enjoyable and when you think about it....it's really for kids who want to race Lightning McQueen right ! :grin:

Parts - 4.5/5 - a lot of thought has gone in to this theme and a line between classic Lego and <insert that tiresome argument> parts has run along well to keep everyone happy ! :sweet:

Playability - 5/5 - hey, it's racing cars isn't it....just keep racing ! :grin:

Cost - 4/5 - still higher but better than POTC - like 24 bucks AU for this and 25 bucks for the cheapest POTC set - do the math ! :laugh:

So now a total....mmm, 17.5/20....pretty dam good ! :grin:

I actually wasn't going to enter this theme but it's just good fun and it will rock better than old Speed Racer ever did !

Brick On Race On everyone ! :grin:

Thanks for the review lightningtiger! Okayish set, but a great cheap set to get Francesco. But still a pass for me. Looking forward to your other reviews!

Thanks for sharing this review LT! Lucky you you got a hold of these new Cars sets this early. :thumbup: So it's a combination of printed elements and stickers alright, both McQueen and Francesco look good, but I'm more interested to see the original Cars-based sets, looking forward for those other reviews then. :sweet:

Not a bad looking set! I'm not going to be getting any of these because I already have enough themes to collect! :laugh: Can't wait for the other reviews!

Interesting, though like everybody else (it seems) this isn't a theme I plan to invest in. Maybe the small set with just McQueen but that's it. And how dare you say it's better than Speed Racer :cry_sad:

Is Francesco's nose piece new?

My gosh, that's probably the most new printed parts we've had in a set in a decade! *oh2* Thanks for the review lightningtiger.

These sets look better than I thought. Still, they are maybe a little to pricy, I don't see them selling well because there are no minifigs involved.

I Love Cars and all the other Pixar films, but there is to mush Lego to chose from these days.

BTW, Funny revieuw, well done!

Edited by Bobskink

Yay, printed car pieces! They're already out here though?

Anyway, nice review. :classic:

Yes, 'Delta 38' Target Hollywood Plaza had five system sets on display, so I grabbed four different ones, but two with Lightning and two with everyone's other favorite, Mater ! :grin:

Guess which is my next review, Classic Mater - later on.....in say three hours or so ! :wink:

Oh, and thank you to those who read and commented......more to come ! :sweet:

Keep on racing everyone ! :grin:

I can just imagine Francesco's eye piece on an astromech droid! :laugh:

Thanks for the review!

Yes, 'Delta 38' Target Hollywood Plaza had five system sets on display, so I grabbed four different ones, but two with Lightning and two with everyone's other favorite, Mater ! :grin:

Oh that's right, the release is May. I forgot about that.

I'll wait for more reviews then. :classic:

I have to say, I am not a very big fan of McQueen's wheels; the gold-on-white combination does not look very good. On the other hand, Francesco looks very nice, and this is the cheapest set he comes in, so I may end up picking this set. Like the others have mentioned, Lego has a strong line-up this year so I won't have much to spend on the Cars theme, but I know I'll pick up a couple of sets.

Anyways, thanks for the review!

I'm not a fan of the Cars theme but I can see where TLG is going with this. The focus is on swooshability so that these characters stay together even if inventive kids decide to play demolition derby with Lightning McQueen and Francesco.

Thanks for another great review 'Lightningtiger' default_thumbup.gif

At first I didn't think this set was any good but after seeing it close up it actually seems quite nice.

It kinda looks like some of the racer sets.