[Review] 7189-1 Mill Village Raid

149 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this set?

• Poor
    • Below Average
    • Average
    • Above Average
    • Outstanding

Thanks for the review. It looks like a great set. I hope the animals become available through LUGBULK.

Weathervane is usually spelled as one word - though your functional description of "wind compass" is quite accurate.

I am gonna combine it with MMV, add a few more minifigures, add mill village raid to complete my LEGO village.

Thanks for the review. I truly admire the uniqueness of this set compared to the other Kingdoms sets... everything else - King's Castle, Prison Tower Rescue, Prison Carriage Rescue, all that stuff - is really just recycled ideas that we've had in most Castle themes for decades. But this one is really something new. I'd like to get it to go along with my MMV, but I'm sure my student budget will support it...

As for the chickens, I dunno... I have to say I admire the brick-built ones from MMV more than these ones...

I'm pissed thinking this set was going to be released in July/August, as you most probably know it's been out in toysrus.com (american site) I saw this set for 69.99, but we'll see I walked the store yesterday and found nothing yet...

Thanks for this look at the Mill Village Raid, Donut!

I was originally planning on only picking up a couple of smaller sets from the Kingdoms line, but after seeing the fantastic summer lineup (specifically this set) I convinced myself to jump on board and collect everything. Not only will the Mill Village Raid go along perfectly with the first wave of Kingdoms sets, but it looks like an excellent companion piece to the MMV. I thought the little brick built chickens in the past were fine, but I won't complain about these excellent new ones. We've been calling for a more civilian based set like this for a long time, and TLC has delivered! Raid on!

Love the new animal molds! I'm not too keen on the roof of the barn, and I wish the windmill was a bit bigger, but all around a pretty good set. Thanks for the review!

Thank you for the review Donut! :thumbup:

The thing that strikes me as the most revolutionary about this set is the great number of new and diverse civilian minifigures, accessories, new animal molds and of course the beautiful arrangement of earth tones in the buildings! I am a big fan of this trend in which the Lego group listens to AFOL's! :grin:

I'm very excited to pick this up. As I'm no isolated from my collection for the next three years I imagine this set will bring me some solace.

Thanks for the review! :thumbup:

The photos are great, but a bit small... and few in number. As for the set, it's very good that it's only civillians plus some Dragon Knights. The animals are great.

Donut, did your set come with 2 extra 1x8 dark grey plates?

My set came with the 2 extra piece as well. Unless you and I both missed the instruction step. Nonetheless, this set is fantastic. I hope to pick up another one later down the road.

Also, a side note. Some TRU in the states do not care this set. The TRU closest to me told me that they will only be carrying the Carriage and black smith set. I had to drive to a TRU 30 miles away to pick up this, as well as the other sets.

Hope It will arrive in Singapore soon.

i live in a 3rd world country (as far as LEGO is concerned), i don't think it will ever arrive here, so i have bought mine off bricklink =))

Just got this set Monday and I really like it. The barn looks great. The mill is nice too, if a little small/short. The animals and peasants are great. Definitely will have to snag another one of these.

Steve

It's always nice to have more civilians when it comes to the Castle series, and these 3 are all awesome(2 being completely new). I too think the mill is a bit on the small side. What are the 3 white 1x1 cylinders supposed to be?

What are the 3 white 1x1 cylinders supposed to be?

I suspect they are meant to be eggs, though sizewise they'd be more fitting for ostrichs from PoP than those tiny hens... :wacko: Dunno why they didn't use 1x1 round plates instead?

I suspect they are meant to be eggs, though sizewise they'd be more fitting for ostrichs from PoP than those tiny hens... :wacko: Dunno why they didn't use 1x1 round plates instead?

Yeah, that's what I thought they might be. Although, as you mentioned, size is a bit off...

Nice review! I like the last photo especially. The dragon soldiers surrounding the animals made me laugh.

It's always nice to have more civilians when it comes to the Castle series, and these 3 are all awesome(2 being completely new). I too think the mill is a bit on the small side. What are the 3 white 1x1 cylinders supposed to be?

If I remember correctly I believe windmills were traditionally used to grind grains into flour, cornmeal, ect. I would guess that the cylinders are there to represent flour or something along those lines.

The only thing that bothered me about the windmill besides the size is that the door is raised off the ground. I am not sure how the mini-figures climb up to get into the mill, their long ladder seems like overkill. :classic: I guess I will just have to build them some steps off the side of it.

I got this set yesterday and here is my 2 cents about it

The good:

- The new horse looks great, the color and printing is a nice change from the typical black or white horses.

- New civilian prints

- 3 Dragon Knights for those who want to expand their Dragon army.

- New goat and chicken molds plus a pig with new printing.

The bad:

- The pitchforks seem to be made out of real poor plastic. Its not as high quality as the "wand" pieces that come in other sets.

- The overall design of the buildings is a little lacking, I find. They seem a little rushed and it feels like they were just put in to make an expensive set with all the new animal molds and new pieces.

Edited by BearHeart