Final Exit

Review: 7066 Earth Defence HQ

I'm still waiting to get this set. I can't say I'm a big fan of the alien conquest theme generally but this really stands out as an awesome set and a throwback to the very best times of classic space. I particularly like the aircraft which is very reminiscent of the Vic Viper, whilst the completed vehicle looks very impressive. My only significant complaints are the lack of a rear wall on the detachable front section of the vehicle and the lack of figures. I'm looking forward to owning this!

It's not reminiscent of a Vic Viper. Look at the stickers--the name on there and the picture of a snake. It is a Vic Viper. An official Vic Viper. That is so awesome.

I'm just so impressed by the look of the set. I generally enjoy official Lego designs, but this one is just beyond the norm. I don't think I've seen a non-MOC Lego military-type vehicle so solid looking since the T1 Typhoon helicopter (one of the few sets I've never disassembled, because it's so awesome!). I really can't wait to get this thing in my hands. Wish it came with more minifigs, but I always want more minifigs.

Alien conquest is one of the few other themes besides Star Wars I actually like. The ADU soldiers are sweet and the new aliens are okay too. And let's not forget bout the ADU rifles which come in most of the sets, they are one of the few more realistic space rifles in lego sets (and especially sweet when customized with binoculars).

Anyway, thanks for the review. I doubt if I will buy any of the larger AC sets, as there are still numbers of SW sets I want to have.

And now that I've built and played with this set... Set of the year, definitely. So. Amazing.

I'm surprised more AFOLs aren't impressed with this set. Those of us 40ish and above might recall an old GI Joe 12" set from the 70s that is a two part vehicle with a control section and big tires. I for one will be very sad if a AC doesn't get a second wave. Hopefully later this year.

I'm in my mid 20s. Space was my favorite theme as a kid (and as a teenager). Got out of my "dark ages," as you people say, this year. I have to say that the Earth Defense HQ is definitely the raddest set I bought this year, and it rivals some of my old favorites for sure. TLG seems pretty stingy with the minifigs though. I had to buy a lot of those $5 and $10 sets to make sure the beast was fully manned. I love all of the figs that DO come with it-- especially the alien cyborg! The Vic Viper is also one of the nicest small space fighters I've ever seen in an official set. The alien vivisection lab is also amazing.

Great review, you sold me on this set. The front of the truck is so "meaty" and chunky. I love it. Looks powerful.

I was iffy on the blue color scheme but after a second look it actually is pretty nice.

Apologies for the pseudo-necro bump, but I finally got around to opening this set and am really enjoying building it! I just love the blue colors, especially for the minifigs. I'm a little embarrassed to say, I think it's so cool, I ended up getting another one! Hoping to see a second round of sets later this year as well.

Apologies for the pseudo-necro bump, but I finally got around to opening this set and am really enjoying building it! I just love the blue colors, especially for the minifigs. I'm a little embarrassed to say, I think it's so cool, I ended up getting another one! Hoping to see a second round of sets later this year as well.

I also bought this set after reading this review, and it really is one of the best Space sets we've had in awhile. Great stuff.

Having picked this up for a disgusting £18, I'm really looking forward to building this with the kids now. And it seems to be a good source of parts when they are tired of it too.

Having picked this up for a disgusting £18, I'm really looking forward to building this with the kids now. And it seems to be a good source of parts when they are tired of it too.

What!! where? I`ll take 3! I just built it this week and I love this set. It made me feel 8 years old again. So many clever allusions to classic space. My 2 year old likes it too, apart from the scary aliens.

:classic:

Sorry - it was a one off sale Tesco did a few weeks ago - 75% off some of the older sets. The AD and Technic stuff all went within minutes!

Sorry - it was a one off sale Tesco did a few weeks ago - 75% off some of the older sets. The AD and Technic stuff all went within minutes!

:wacko: ... and I was so glad I found it with a 35% discount.. feeling so envious..... NOT!

Though I am more a fan of the alien vessels, specialy the walker and the abduction set, I am glad to have this beauty in my possession too. That is what realy counts.. the discount was just a bonus.

Now just waiting for next rainy weekend afternoon to build it together with my padewans.

This was possibly the best set of 2011, and will probably remain as an all time classic of the space line. A must have if you can still find one at a reasonable price.

I completely agree.

The colors, playability, amount of what you get for the money.

I'm glad I picked up a second copy on a bogo sale. I was gonna try to build a heavy lift helo to either incorporate the EDHQ or carry it. Hasn't happened yet.

Thinking about LEGO Space a bit more, they have always had space and will have it in some form or fashion again. Lets keep some optimism that AC will get a second wave in the future.

Great review for what was, in my opinion, the best set of 2011. It is indeed unfortunate that this set, and Alien Conquest, had such a short shelf life span. I'm sure this particular set will remain a classic, though.

It's also one of the most MOC'able sets that has been released in ages. It's just so easy to make so many other decent ADU vehicles by starting with this set. (although get two at least. You will want oneto build as recommended, and a few more to experiment with.)