Final Exit

Review: 7066 Earth Defence HQ

You can see the large '71' there on both sides, but next to it, there is a small icon of a snake's head. Underneath the snake is a collection of letters which probably won't make sense to most who buy this set:

"NNENN"

The snake is a viper, and this ship is the designer's contribution to the popular "Vic Viper" building style popularized by the great, and late, Nate "Nnenn" Nielson. This is a fantastic tribute to a builder who inspired thousands around the globe.

-PQ

I'm guessing, but don't know for sure, that '71' refers to the year Nate was born. Is there anyone that can confirm this?

wow man thanks thats a big fact that should be on the frontpage

Edited by tomie satoshi

Thank you for the nice pics.

I love the old guy's walrus moustache face. He looks a lot like Kader Abdolah, an Iranian-Dutch writer. :classic:

Many thanks for a great review and information within this thread. This review spurred me on to get this set without waiting. I visited the local Lego store and saw all the AC sets. Kept myself from spending any money. Came home and looked at the pics in your review again and again and decided I had to have the Earth Defense HQ NOW!

I did a review on Brickset after building the set. I am old enough to remember the original Classic Space theme, having had many as a child. This set brought back a lot of memories and also reminded me of the 12" GI Joe Adventure Team Mobile Support Vehicle. I also wondered what the meaning of the "NNENN" and "71" are on the jet decals. After reading others responses and searching him out he definitely was an amazing AFOL builder.

I had to join to share some of my mods to this awesome set. When buying the set it seemed to be lacking enough ADU figures so I also bought the small Alien Striker set. I don't have pics yet but will try to get some and post them up.

Lets start at the front...

I added a small radar dome above the front cab as there seemed to be a need for radar to detect alien craft (assuming they are detectable). Next came swivels for the forward lights atop the cab and a tilt function for the missle turret. Inside the front of the cab I placed a radar slope and target slope for the passenger up front. I also placed two 2x3? clear pieces similar to what the scientist has behind the capsule holding area and a blue slope between them with 1x1 clips to hold extra weapons for the guys up front. The scientist didn't seem to need the computer with a target so I switched it with another I had which looks like some writing or bars more like a computer screen. I also took the yellow seat backs from the front and put them on the doors for the capsule storage area making it easier to open.

In the rear section I didn't do much other than put swivels on the fold out radar dishes so they could turn instead of only facing forward. I did put a small saw and extra weapon in the clips opposite the syringes.

Again this set and the Alien Conquest theme are amazing. So much versitility crossing different themes. Thank you Lego.

It is small, but it is dense.

I think this is preferable for us AFOLs to for example, the mothership which is very large but not very dense.

Oh gog, thank you so much. That is, thank you from me; my budget on the other hand would probably wish you a slow painful death for this, but that's why it's a nonsentient entity. I was in love with this thing right from its reveal, and this review has gone to just confirm my absolute adoration for it. I will procure this masterstroke of common lines even if it kills me. Odds are, it will, but it looks like it'll be oh so worth it.

Excellent review Final Exit. I'm looking forward to getting the HQ and putting it together. Not sure how long it will stay together, as I enjoy modifying, but to me, this is finally a great series to get. I've grown bored with the Star Wars sets and Space Police was ok. Thanks for the excellent images as well!

The HQ truck has a build style strongly reminiscent of 80s-early 90s Lego Space themes. It looks equal to the 6986 Mega Core Magnetizer, but more substantial in its body. The fighter is the second highlight here and nearly perfect in its execution, I would buy 5 or more of these if TLG offered them seperate (next wave maybe?). Anyhow this set's getting bought the moment I see it on the shelf, and may buy another before its discontinued! :wub:

Now if only it had trans-yellow windscreens, guess we have to wait for another theme. :hmpf_bad:

This is just an awesome set - huge nod to Classic Space which is (long) overdue!! I can't wait to get it...

A great start to a theme with huge potential - let's hope there is a huge Earth Defence Spaceship on its way!!

I like the idea too of different colour ADU minifigs maybe as the theme unfolds...

Btw, minifigs say ADU which is "Alien Defence Unit" but this is an "Earth Defence HQ" - are the goodies Alien Defence or Earth Defence? Maybe both - why not..?! Bring 'em on!

This new theme is fantastic, i really like it but i'm very disapointed because that serie won't be available in France !!!!!!!

What a shame !!

I hope maybe in Toysr us or i will have to go to England to buy it.

Your review is very good. Thank you.

This is probably my favorite set in the theme the big command center is just so cool to me. Also I want to use that old man head for my Sam Elliot figure.

Great set - but deceptively small

It is small, but it is dense.

Agreed on both accounts. As I wrote before, I really loved the review and was convinced that this was a great theme by the thorough info. I bought this a while back when Toys R Us had a sale, but because we just had our first son, had to hold off on actually building it. I've been doing so during Koda's short naps / feedings. It's taking a while...I usually do about 2 bags in each sitting. I still have one or two bags to finish, but the bulk of the thing is built...just missing the part where the mini-jet connects. Anyway, I thought exactly what TheBrickHitHouse did... "This seems smaller than the box." I kept thinking, for some weird reason, it'd be the size of the Clone Turbo Tank. But vexorian also hit it on the head. This thing is a nice tight vehicle. I love the details of the "base" and the playability of the ship, detaching base, guns, and alien autopsy / containment unit.

This is definitely a fun time for LEGO original themes. I think NinjaGo and this theme show the wacky fun that can please both KFOLs and AFOLs alike. If not, at least I'm sold!

This is probably my favorite set in the theme the big command center is just so cool to me. Also I want to use that old man head for my Sam Elliot figure.

My fave too. Re: Sam Elliot. Can't wait to see it? From a particular film?

7066 is a great set that I would like to have. So far, no signs of It reaching Singapore yet.

I really like the big wheels and the minifigures. I also like the blue plane.

Edited by LEGO AFOL

Saw this set out in the wild, and I must say, WOW! I blew this set off originally, but after holding the box in my hands all I can say is WOW!!

Short of Exclusives, Modulars and/or UCS monsters, I'd have to say that this is THE BEST SET OF 2011, and bear in mind this is coming from an absolutely non-SciFi collector/builder. Incredible design by Stafford and just screams "PLAY WITH ME FOR HOURS AND HOURS!" Absolutely incredible set.

Edited by Mr. Elijah Timms

I agree with whats been said, originally this and the other sets had no interest for me until i gave in and bought the two smallest sets of the line. The figs are awesome but i still wasnt sold on this set until today. Brighton Lego shop has it built on display and after a good going over, im saving the pennies to buy it! Its so much better in the flesh,pics do not do it justice!

I agree with whats been said, originally this and the other sets had no interest for me until i gave in and bought the two smallest sets of the line. The figs are awesome but i still wasnt sold on this set until today. Brighton Lego shop has it built on display and after a good going over, im saving the pennies to buy it! Its so much better in the flesh,pics do not do it justice!

When I originally saw the pictures of this Alien Conquest theme, the only one I was planning on getting was the Tripod Invader. Once I read reviews and bought the TI, I was so pleased by the set and minifigures(especially that alien), that I had to get the rest. So I did. :blush: This is definitely one of my top themes.

Thanks for the review.

Some nice fig pics.

I just wish you had included a poll. :laugh:

Sooooooo looking forward to getting this set. IMO, it's one of the best of the year. Total throwback to the 'Classic Space' era, with regard to style, colour, etc., but, IMO, it actually SURPASSES many of those classic sets! (I can't believe I just said that!)

Just finished building this myself the other day and my initial love for it holds up.

One or two things I would have added but, all in all, it's a wonderful set.

I especially love the two ball joint heavy cannon mounts on either side of the vehicle. Totally boss!

The selling point of this set for me is the Jet/aircraft. It's a great design - unlike the helicopter set....

Finally got this for the 30% off Bricktober deal... and after all the speculation and online examination/drooling, it is finally mine, and I can definitely say:

THE SET OF THE YEAR. Hands down.

I was stuck in Toys R' Us today for 'Bricktober', shocked about the apparent lack of 8081 Extreme Cruiser and overabundance of 8041 Race Truck. I was going to grab the latter when he turned to find this set on the bottom rack, just within my budget. I pulled the box up and thought 'Oh, what the heck, I've read rave reviews about it.'

Best Decision I've made in a while. Everything about this set is quite awesome and whole, unlike so many sets one finds these days! The build was easy and went along pretty swiftly, even with me checking my laptop every five minutes or so. I remember giving a little 'Ohhh~' when I built the sliding mechanism underneath the back half of the HQ. I found that very ingenious, just perfect. I also particularly enjoy the Jet/Fighter Plane. A perfect tribute to the semi-famous MOCer the stickers refer to.

Excellent review! I've got this set lined up for Christmas. Can't wait to get it built. Definitely looks like set of the year material.

I'll need to swap out one of the two mustache guy's faces (he also comes in the abductor set), I think. He's too cool to be a generic guy.