L@go

MOC: Modular Scooter Dealership

indexed.gif B-OM-2B

Hello, fellow Eurobrickers,

it's been a long time coming, but I finally got around to snapping some pictures of my second modular MOC and posting them on Flickr. Some of you might remember my modular pharmacy (now also on Flickr), which was my first MOC since my dark ages. While that was built on a 16x32 baseplate, this is my first attempt at 32x32. I soon discovered that the bigger size gave me a lot more room to put a decent interior in, so I've spent quite some time doing just that.

I got the idea of building a scooter dealership from Flickr user Morgan190's Roamin' Holiday shop, featuring Arealight's lovely custom scooters. I've bought a couple of those scooters over time, and felt that they deserved a proper modular dealership. But that's just the ground floor - so the question was what to put on the other floors.

That's when I thought: Why not give the top brass of the Octan company a place to work?

5675270251_2dd544ec51_z.jpg

The photography isn't great. The tan color is a bit hard to get right, especially if you haven't got proper lighting. But I reckon it's alright.

Anyway, here it is, my Modular Scooter Dealership with Octan Headquarters. As I usually do, I've designed the whole thing in MLCad first, and then ordered the bricks via BrickLink. Originally I wasn't sure that I liked the top floor (something seems to happen to my sense of design when I get past the first floor), but it's grown on me, and now I'm quite happy about it. It looks better 'in the brick' than it did on my computer screen.

5675834514_b095dd6747_z.jpg

The ground floor includes the shop area, with a little office cubicle for the salesman, some brochures (for the new 'X' and 'Skull' scooter lines), a shelf full of spare parts, another with some different helmets for the customers to choose from, and three scooters. The tiling on the floor is done in blue and light bluish gray, with the checquered-flag company logo inserted. The glass window that separates the shop from the hallway leading to the back of the building, slides open so the scooters can be rolled through. On the left side of the facade is the entrance and staircase to the Octan headquarters, on the right side there's a brickbuilt version of the shop logo, and at the rear of the building the shop's mechanic is preparing a brand new scooter for the showroom (as the female customer in the shop is about to become the happy owner of that pink one inside). The shop mechanic keeps his tools in the corner in the back.

5675818764_01e622748b_z.jpg

5675820366_b2a186ac0d_z.jpg

5675261259_4293d30f3d_z.jpg

5675262053_8dd457dd02_z.jpg

5675259705_a80762ed2d_z.jpg

5675822066_b9f6eac5b1_z.jpg

The main feature of the first floor is the office of the two vice presidents of the Octan Energy Corporation. They are brothers and don't look too happy, for three reasons: a) Their father, the chief executive, doesn't seem to want to step down anytime soon, b) they both want his job and only one can have it, and c) he insists they keep a huge model of an Octan oil tanker on their desk. In the office, apart from the desk (complete with minibar) there's a conference table and a video projector and screen.

5675824870_3dc67006e0_z.jpg

5675827162_cd1d4a3b64_z.jpg

5675825526_4fbf3b34a4_z.jpg

The top floor features the office of the chief executive, with a nice balcony. Outside the office is the secretary's realm, complete with a couple of chairs where visitors can sit and wait. The guy currently filling one of those chairs looks a bit scared - that's because he's just been told to see his boss, and not why, so he's afraid that he's done something wrong. Actually, he's about to get a raise, on one condition: That he changes his stupid haircut. The rest of the area on the top floor contains a massive trophy collection gathered through several years of Octan racing car sponsorship, and the overalls and helmets of two of the most successful drivers. On top of the filing cabinet sits a model of one of the legendary race cars.

5675257335_592ef8ebee_z.jpg

5675266709_5167b02bda_z.jpg

5675829924_54f2cc0ee4_z.jpg

5675267363_71cdb3b25c_z.jpg

5675268373_908f577437_z.jpg

5675269537_671739a2ef_z.jpg

There are some big skylights in the roof to provide the top floor with light.

5675272197_a8927ac2d8_z.jpg

So, that's it - a lot more pictures, especially of little details, can be found in the set on Flickr.

Thanks for watching! Constructive comments are more than welcome :)

PS! Next up from me will be a case of "now for something completely different". After having built the 16x32 pharmacy and then this one in 32x32, I thought, 'why not try 8x32'? I found out why. It's very hard to fit an interior. But I did, so that'll be coming next!

EDIT: I just realized I hadn't included any pictures of the repair area in the back, so that's now fixed.

Edited by Phred

Awesome modular MOC 'L@go' :thumbup: What a great idea for the interior, great details. Love the exterior as well. A truly wonderful MOC :classic:

AWESOME creation 'L@go', the interior's are just fantastic and so are the exterior too ! :thumbup:

Love the model Octan F-1 car too ! :wub:

Excellent designing 'L@go' and K.O.B. too ! :grin:

I'm so jelly...

:sadnew:

Great work though, nice use of tiles and snot! The Octan signature (white board next to the mailbox) is great!

BTW, is that girl in the dark red with yellow arms from Spider Man's Mary Jane? o.o

Absolutely excellent work. :thumbup:

The interior is fabulous, and I really like the detail of the checked flag over the door.

Thanks for your kind comments, you're quick :)

BTW, is that girl in the dark red with yellow arms from Spider Man's Mary Jane? o.o

Yup, it's this one. The secretary knows how much the chief exec loves oriental stuff :)

Superb job. Interior is well detailed. That little race car is cute. :classic:

Oh wow, what a fantastic modular building L@go! :thumbup: At first, I honestly didn't expect how the exterior design (which is very well done) can be a scooter dealership shop, but the interiors totally quenched my curiosity as the details inside are simply wonderful and are very realistic with real-life scooter dealer establishments.

Fine work Naaa its AWESOME! I love the mini creations and the decorations

around the office, I have to say that the first floor is always easy to find a company or use for but the second and

third just stump me hard. I am glad you found a good use. (My Bank has a ballet studio on the second floor! :grin: ) sad right!?

Great work here and I think it deserves a clap. :classic:

I realy love this MOC. Wish the Lego Group would attract artist like L@go and create more modular building sets. Love the dealership. Very creative. I'm a conformist! L@go. :thumbup::oh3:

Excellent Scooter Dealership L@go default_thumbup.gif I have to say I'm certainly impressed by this building

The interior is great, looks very realistic.

Great work!

The details on this MOC are just plain amazing! :thumbup: I'm still a total noob when it comes to identifying parts..especially minifig scale parts/item..err such those wonderful scooters. I didn't know they even existed :sweet: What set did they originally come from?

Thanks again for your kind words and very positive comments! Posting a MOC on EB always makes me go back and build some more, because people here are so generous with their feedback.

I actually think the third floor is my favorite part of the exterior.

Funny how taste differs :) but I must admit I like it better now than I did originally.

My Bank has a ballet studio on the second floor!

That's an interesting combination for sure :D

Wish the Lego Group would attract artist like L@go and create more modular building sets.

:blush: He said artist! ARTIST! Me! :blush:

I'm still a total noob when it comes to identifying parts..especially minifig scale parts/item..err such those wonderful scooters. I didn't know they even existed :sweet: What set did they originally come from?

It's not so strange that you're not familiar with them - the scooters aren't original Lego parts, they're custom creations by Arealight, sold by BrickForge. And they're proper gorgeous :)

You beat me too it! :grin:

I am also still planning to do a bicycle and scooter shop. But yours is beautiful, especially the interior.

The row of helmets is great. I hadn't thought of that yet.

And the workbench is very realistic.

The ship and the racing car are also nice details.

sorry to drag up an old thread but i love this building, the exterior is really well done, and the details of the interior are amazing too. Great building. I was only today thinking about the Octan head quarters and making a modular for them, so weird that i see yours (even if it is older) tonite, it's inspired my thinking! Great work :D

Glad you did timmyc1983, as a bit of a newbie member I love seeing posts that I wasn't around to gaze upon. I love the attention to detail and the workshop area and Racing Hall of Fame :wub:

It's always fun when an older topic is dragged to the surface by somebody who has a comment that's not just "Cool!" - in this case, thank you both for your kind words. This is probably still some of my best work when it comes to buildings, and I'm particularly happy with the interior - especially the ground floor.

timmyc1983, I hope you'll share your Octan HQ with us here on Eurobricks if and when you eventually get around to building one!

Excellent! The scooter shop is great but I especially like the "Octan" floors (the idea of the trophy room for all the Octan sponsored glory is very clever!)

Great work!

Newish member here too and glad this thread has resurfaced. Well done on a great design and concept L@go

Very nice building and GREAT interior. I never seem to get around to build the interiors XD

Great job!

Here is another L@go creation which gives a taste of unfinished to some official modular models.

It is necessary to say that the official designers have a major constraint: the cost! I do not dare to ask for the price of this model. :wacko:

We can dream!

Thanks

I've begun work on my octan headquarters in LDD, and it will be above my altered service station from the town plan. I have just finished the modulising of the ground floor and about to start on the headquarters. Once i brick build i will be sure to share the head quarters, although it's already quite different to your master piece (given it's based on the town plan servo) :D fun times!