r4-g9

LEGO Collectable Minifigures Future Series Rumours

When is the mystery licensed CMF expected to be in stores? Fantastic Beasts 2 is slated for Nov. 18, 2018.

24 minutes ago, gedren_y said:

When is the mystery licensed CMF expected to be in stores? Fantastic Beasts 2 is slated for Nov. 18, 2018.

September 2018

I cannot see it being a stand alone HP or FB. Why would LEGO do a CMF series when they could use the same figures to sell full sets? Unless they are going to do a large set (like The Simpsons House / Kwik-E-Mart / Disney Castle) with exclusive minifigures and then do a CMF series alongside.

8 minutes ago, LegoMonorailFan said:

Soooooo... FB right?

I'd say Harry Potter 

But yeah, that's the safest bet. 

There are not enough characters on FB for a CMF series

1 minute ago, MAB said:

I cannot see it being a stand alone HP or FB. Why would LEGO do a CMF series when they could use the same figures to sell full sets? Unless they are going to do a large set (like The Simpsons House / Kwik-E-Mart / Disney Castle) with exclusive minifigures and then do a CMF series alongside.

I think that's the case.

Both Simpsons and Disney had a D2C to go with them.

Even Ninjago, Batman and LEGO Movies series had/will have D2C to go with them.

So, I think a Harry Potter CMF series and a Hogwarts D2C sounds likely

Edited by Robert8

18 minutes ago, Robert8 said:

I think that's the case.

Both Simpsons and Disney had a D2C to go with them.

Even Ninjago, Batman and LEGO Movies series had/will have D2C to go with them.

So, I think a Harry Potter CMF series and a Hogwarts D2C sounds likely

The idea of a D2C coming alongside the Harry Potter CMF series didn't occur to me at all, and that's made the possibility all the more exciting! Wow, that would be truly fantastic (pardon the accidental pun). 

I think you're right in saying that Fantastic Beasts currently doesn't have enough minifigs to support its own series; Harry Potter in general has more opportunities, but I wonder if they could just blanket it under a 'J.K Rowling's Wizarding World' kind of title and mix and match figures from Fantastic Beasts and Harry Potter. That way, they'd get to capitalise on the evergreen Harry Potter hype while also promoting Fantastic Beasts 2.

That all suggested, I do think a pure Harry Potter CMF series is most likely. Unless it's debunked, I'll be massively surprised if the series isn't Fantastic Beasts or Harry Potter.

On 30/06/2017 at 11:07 PM, gedren_y said:

Both Marvel and Star Wars cannot happen because of Hasbro. They have some exclusive licensing deal that means that only they can produce individual action figures for these properties. They sued when TLG started making magnet sets with removable Star Wars figures, and won because a minifig can be classified as an action figure. That is why all Lego magnet sets are glued now. A CMF series of either of those themes would infringe upon Hasbro's licensing rights.

On 30/06/2017 at 9:43 PM, Darkdragon said:

Doubtful because Lego has already stated that due to licensing reasons, they can not release SW figures without actual sets. Of course, licenses can change.

Have LEGO ever stated that Hasbro's licensing was the reasons that they glued magnet sets or wouldn't release SW figures unless as part of a bigger set? I remember the announcement made to ambassadors about the magnets, and it didn't mention licensing at all. They said they were going to glue all SW ones without giving a reason and, so that consumers get the same experience across all the products, they would glue all of them in other ranges too. Of course, they want consumers to think that they are tied by licensing, but there is the opposing view that a number of people were buying magnets to get the figures cheaply instead of having to buy the large sets they also appeared in. I don't believe I have ever seen them comment that they had to do it, or specifically a statement saying that it was due to licensing belonging to someone else. The only thing I have seen is the IDEAS rules about licensing, that they can remove projects if legally required to by another license holder.

I also don't believe Hasbro that did ever sue, let alone win with the judgement that a minifig can be classified as an action figure. There were rumours they were going to sue, but has anyone ever found any records about an actual court case?

42 minutes ago, Robert8 said:

I'd say Harry Potter 

But yeah, that's the safest bet. 

There are not enough characters on FB for a CMF series

Although there's plenty of characters from HP that could fit into a CMF, any chance Lego would throw in a couple of FB characters into the mix of a HP CMF for marketing in correlation of the FB2 movie release? Probably not.

Edited by LegoMonorailFan

15 minutes ago, MAB said:

Have LEGO ever stated that Hasbro's licensing was the reasons that they glued magnet sets or wouldn't release SW figures unless as part of a bigger set? I remember the announcement made to ambassadors about the magnets, and it didn't mention licensing at all. They said they were going to glue all SW ones without giving a reason and, so that consumers get the same experience across all the products, they would glue all of them in other ranges too. Of course, they want consumers to think that they are tied by licensing, but there is the opposing view that a number of people were buying magnets to get the figures cheaply instead of having to buy the large sets they also appeared in. I don't believe I have ever seen them comment that they had to do it, or specifically a statement saying that it was due to licensing belonging to someone else. The only thing I have seen is the IDEAS rules about licensing, that they can remove projects if legally required to by another license holder.

I also don't believe Hasbro that did ever sue, let alone win with the judgement that a minifig can be classified as an action figure. There were rumours they were going to sue, but has anyone ever found any records about an actual court case?

Just tried googling about the whole hasbro suing lego, I didn't find anything so I think they were rumours. Also yes those are some very good points about the magnets, that is mostly likely why they glued them down.

6 minutes ago, LegoMonorailFan said:

Although there's plenty of characters from HP that could fit into a CMF, any chance Lego would throw in a couple of FB characters into the mix of a HP CMF for marketing in correlation of the FB2 movie release? Probably not.

What is it is a general Dimensions series to say goodbye to dimensions? The other three members of the A-Team, Marty McFly's GF and the Doc in his future clothes, Sonic's buddies, couple of Ghostbuster minifigures and a couple HP/FB characters?

2 minutes ago, J4ck said:

What is it is a general Dimensions series to say goodbye to dimensions? The other three members of the A-Team, Marty McFly's GF and the Doc in his future clothes, Sonic's buddies, couple of Ghostbuster minifigures and a couple HP/FB characters?

Who is going to want to have a series with just three members of the A-team in? What about the fourth (Mr T)? Doing a series like that would be limiting it in interest to people that had already bought the Dimensions sets. If they were going to do something like that, they'd sell more if they repeated the main Dimensions characters in the CMF series (like they did with the Simpsons and Disney).

Just now, MAB said:

Who is going to want to have a series with just three members of the A-team in? What about the fourth (Mr T)? Doing a series like that would be limiting it in interest to people that had already bought the Dimensions sets. If they were going to do something like that, they'd sell more if they repeated the main Dimensions characters in the CMF series (like they did with the Simpsons and Disney).

Some people buy the Dimensions packs just for the contents, the packs are getting cheaper by the month, they're getting to the point where you'll get you're money's worth even if you just buy them for the physical contents. Although I do see your point and yes it'll probably diminish sales a bit.

Edited by J4ck

I started buying dimension sets just for the figs. Now i buy them for the game too. I would love a dimensions series with extra figs from some of the licenses. However i don't think they would do that. It seems too random. People won't understand the mix of licensed figs?

1 hour ago, MAB said:

A D2C for a HP revival would perhaps be the only thing I would care about for such a theme reboot, such as either a D2C Hogwarts Express or a D2C Hogwarts Castle, something both train and castle fans would really dig. :thumbup: :smug:

21 hours ago, JGuy said:

And as @Robert8 has proven, there's definitely not a lack of ideas! :)

Thank you :laugh: 

There might be a lot of ideas left to make regular CMFs,  but the question is how well they sell. 

Having only two regular series (17 and 18) in 2 years makes me think they are not doing as well as before because LEGO is betting for something else

1 hour ago, Robert8 said:

Having only two regular series (17 and 18) in 2 years makes me think they are not doing as well as before because LEGO is betting for something else

I have not looked at it that way but I hope it's not true.

1 hour ago, Robert8 said:

I'm sure they're selling fine. But - Merchandising 101 here - you can't increase sales if you're not reaching new customers. Other toy companies have driven themselves into the ground by exclusively catering to the people who were already buying their stuff anyway, and making no effort to branch out. Like it or not, licensed series help recruit new customers in ways that "regular" series simply can't. Someone who's not already a LEGO fan sees no appreciable difference between Series 16 and Series 17, but they will notice - and potentially become a new customer! - if they see a series featuring Batman, or the Simpsons, or Disney characters, or 

Spoiler

whatever this next series is. (Made you look!)

5 hours ago, Tragic Banjo said:

I'm sure they're selling fine. But - Merchandising 101 here - you can't increase sales if you're not reaching new customers. Other toy companies have driven themselves into the ground by exclusively catering to the people who were already buying their stuff anyway, and making no effort to branch out. Like it or not, licensed series help recruit new customers in ways that "regular" series simply can't. Someone who's not already a LEGO fan sees no appreciable difference between Series 16 and Series 17, but they will notice - and potentially become a new customer! - if they see a series featuring Batman, or the Simpsons, or Disney characters, or 

Hide contents

whatever this next series is. (Made you look!)

5 hours ago, BrickHat said:
  Reveal hidden contents

You misspelled Harry Potter. :laugh:

Hahaha! Just brilliant. 

Seriously though, I hope it isn't HP/FB, is HP really classed as old though?

29 minutes ago, J4ck said:

Hahaha! Just brilliant. 

Seriously though, I hope it isn't HP/FB, is HP really classed as old though?

It 16 years since the first HP sets, so yes it is old.

Does the fact that Tragic Banjo has a picture of a Holodeck-generated Moriarty from a Star Trek the Next Generation episode as his profile pic provide any clues? Just curious ... :laugh:

It has been said that the theme/license is on LEGO Dimensions

So, that rules out Marvel, Star Wars and Star Trek

On 2017-7-1 at 2:36 AM, JGuy said:

Back to the Future (possible, many characters + very well-known),

Not really. The only characters the general audience care about are Doc and Marty.

17 hours ago, LEGODalekbuster523 said:

Not really. The only characters the general audience care about are Doc and Marty.

Eh, I'd take a Seamus McFly, Clint Eastwood Marty, pastel-cowboy Marty, and every Biff variant in the series.

That being said, you're not wrong.

2 hours ago, rodiziorobs said:

Eh, I'd take a Seamus McFly, Clint Eastwood Marty, pastel-cowboy Marty, and every Biff variant in the series.

That being said, you're not wrong.

Don't mean to go too off topic, but for starters, we never got the 2015 and 1885 variants of Marty and Doc. I'll have to look for some good customs some day. :cry_sad: I'll admit that I am not sure that one could make a whole series of 16 characters from BTTF, though, which is why I wished we got more sets. But I digress. Honestly, I'd still be happy with a HP universe series. Who knows? Maybe they would revisit some of those minifigs that are now super expensive to get on the secondary market.

Edited by BrickHat