r4-g9

LEGO Collectable Minifigures Future Series Rumours

Adventure time is only 7 years old? I doubt adventure time will be the series although it would be nice.

What about Sonic? He's old in the gaming Industry. Although there would only be enough for half a series?

11 hours ago, gedren_y said:

The SpongeBob license went to K'Nex quite some time ago.

Actually, SpongeBob went to Mega Brands back in 2014.

@rob-ot5000 When you quoted my post after I asked if the upcoming licensed CMF series is based on a theme already featured in LEGO Dimensions, I might as well take that as a yes!

I guess Harry Potter/Fantastic Beasts.

The other Dimensions brands are either too niche/adult-oriented and not current enough for kids (eg. Back to the Future, Ghostbusters etc), or just wouldn't have enough good options for a CMF series. Of the themes that remain, Scooby-Doo would be a definite option only for the fact that its full-fledged theme didn't sell too well or at least didn't merit a second wave. Sonic could have enough figures, but again isn't really that hugely popular anymore with kids, at least to my knowledge. Adventure Time already has the brick-built Ideas set which provides kids with most of its main characters; it also doesn't seem to be as popular as it used to be, and a CMF series of it might be costly to make, because I'd imagine they'd need many new specific molds. Jurassic World would be an option only for the fact that people would just want the dinosaurs, and those probably couldn't be sold in minifig packs.

Harry Potter is practically evergreen as a property - the 20 year anniversary of the series just passed and it's as popular as ever. LEGO has a decent track record of producing multiple waves of HP sets so they know the property can be lucrative. The sets have been missed and while LEGO perhaps can't justify bringing back the full HP theme, they know that both kids and AFOLs would be drawn to a HP series and LEGO have the justification in Fantastic Beasts.

This also fits into the hint that it's an "old" theme. Harry Potter has been a LEGO theme since 2001. 

14 hours ago, BrickHat said:

Pretty sure most of them would go "Dr... Who?"

Yet here in the UK I can get a lunchbox and spaghetti shapes. People need to keep in mind that their local area us not the whole world.

Also, attacks aren't necessary. So if you all didn't get you hackles up about certain posts then half the problem would be solved.

Just googled Doctor Who spaghetti

pasta Daleks!! Far and away better than anything here in North America 

Edited by thatblockoguy

I honestly don't think the minifigures will be interesting enough to make a CMF Series. What if the series was a collection of minifigures from throughout dimensions that were seen but not part of any packs?

Someone mentioned Studios. It had under its umbrella some Universal Studios movie licenses, so that could technically be a licensed theme. If that's it, we could finally get that Director fig that has shown up on a number of promotional artwork.

About SpongeBob, I saw a non-Lego set a few years ago. I thought it was K'Nex, but it could have been Megabloks.

Edited by gedren_y

17 minutes ago, J4ck said:

I honestly don't think the minifigures will be interesting enough to make a CMF Series. What if the series was a collection of minifigures from throughout dimensions that were seen but not part of any packs?

We could finally get that Lord Vortech fig :grin:

6 hours ago, Peppermint_M said:

Yet here in the UK I can get a lunchbox and spaghetti shapes. People need to keep in mind that their local area us not the whole world.

Sure. But Lego's market is not a single country. I imagine the popularity varies by area, but Lego would probably devote a series only to something that is popular enough worldwide. Honestly, I've lived in different countries and never found Dr. Who being super popular in any of them, at least with kids. Granted, I'm no pollster. :shrug_oh_well:

1 minute ago, BrickHat said:

Sure. But Lego's market is not a single country. I imagine the popularity varies by area, but Lego would probably devote a series only to something that is popular enough worldwide. Honestly, I've lived in different countries and never found Dr. Who being super popular in any of them, at least with kids. Granted, I'm no pollster. :shrug_oh_well:

German Football Team. Olympic  Competitors. Exclusive to one country and in the case of the football team? Mostly only popular in their country (While I had a passing interest in the squad members who play for Arsenal, I would have rather seen them in the good old red and white and not their national kit...).

So, not impossible. Just mildly unlikely.

Just now, Peppermint_M said:

German Football Team. Olympic  Competitors. Exclusive to one country and in the case of the football team? Mostly only popular in their country (While I had a passing interest in the squad members who play for Arsenal, I would have rather seen them in the good old red and white and not their national kit...).

So, not impossible. Just mildly unlikely.

Well, I wouldn't be surprised if we saw a special, more limited release similar to those, and I imagine it would be a hit in the UK. :classic: I wouldn't expect it to take one of the regular slots, though. But I agree with you there. It's actually pretty crazy how some of those series were more expensive than the regular ones in the secondary market.

While Doctor Who (it's not abbreviated) is arguably much more popular in the UK, it's got a large following in the US as well.  And yes, most of that crowd is a bit older, but I don't see why it wouldn't appeal to children.  And children who are into LEGO, as well as children who play Dimensions, are even more likely to be into it.  LEGO has released a Doctor Who Ideas set and a Dimensions pack with plenty of content, so I'd say they believe in the property at least a little.

7 minutes ago, x105Black said:

While Doctor Who (it's not abbreviated) is arguably much more popular in the UK, it's got a large following in the US as well.  And yes, most of that crowd is a bit older, but I don't see why it wouldn't appeal to children.  And children who are into LEGO, as well as children who play Dimensions, are even more likely to be into it.  LEGO has released a Doctor Who Ideas set and a Dimensions pack with plenty of content, so I'd say they believe in the property at least a little.

Make that two dimensions packs :wink:

51 minutes ago, legonerd54321 said:

I'm kinda leaning towards BttF, there are so many characters/variants from the movies we haven't gotten as minifigures.

As a huge BTTF fan I'd be lining up on day 1 to get the figures, but there is no way I am that lucky. We didn't even get any extra BTTF sets and sadly the BTTF hype has gone down a bit since 2015. :cry_sad:

At this point I think it'll be HP/Fantastic Beasts related, unless it's denied by any of our sources. :classic: And I'd love one of those, by the way. Some great wizards and witches never got minifigures.

Edited by BrickHat

On 30.6.2017 at 2:40 PM, Ardelon said:

Could the "Yellow Brick Road" mention in the London Bus set be a hint towards a Wizard of Oz series (or future set/theme/whatever)? Granted, its a year off, but is that unprecedented? (Factoring in with how long it takes to develop a CMF series)

It is a Elton John album/song :wink:

16 hours ago, AnnaBuildsLego said:

I guess Harry Potter/Fantastic Beasts.

The other Dimensions brands are either too niche/adult-oriented and not current enough for kids (eg. Back to the Future, Ghostbusters etc), or just wouldn't have enough good options for a CMF series. Of the themes that remain, Scooby-Doo would be a definite option only for the fact that its full-fledged theme didn't sell too well or at least didn't merit a second wave. Sonic could have enough figures, but again isn't really that hugely popular anymore with kids, at least to my knowledge. Adventure Time already has the brick-built Ideas set which provides kids with most of its main characters; it also doesn't seem to be as popular as it used to be, and a CMF series of it might be costly to make, because I'd imagine they'd need many new specific molds. Jurassic World would be an option only for the fact that people would just want the dinosaurs, and those probably couldn't be sold in minifig packs.

Harry Potter is practically evergreen as a property - the 20 year anniversary of the series just passed and it's as popular as ever. LEGO has a decent track record of producing multiple waves of HP sets so they know the property can be lucrative. The sets have been missed and while LEGO perhaps can't justify bringing back the full HP theme, they know that both kids and AFOLs would be drawn to a HP series and LEGO have the justification in Fantastic Beasts.

This also fits into the hint that it's an "old" theme. Harry Potter has been a LEGO theme since 2001. 

I have very little interest in fleshis, but Harry Potter/Fantastic Beasts is one of the few exceptions :wub: As long as it have to be a licensed series I hope/guess it is Harry Potter/Fantastic Beasts, if it is I would probably buy the hole series :wink:
I have read that HP is the series that they do not have in production that most people ask for in brand stores. Lets face it "everybody" loves HP, kids love it, teens love it, adults who read the books 20 years ago love it. It is a gold mine and with the release of FB movies the wizards/witches is back, personally I am surprised Lego didn't make a full wave of sets for the first FB movie *huh* I think they will roll out the big guns for the next FB movie in 2018 :grin:        

I still think the Hanna-Barbera suggestion seems most likely, seeing as we have already had Scooby Doo sets.

1) 'Bam-Bam' Rubble

2) Barney Rubble

3) Betty Rubble

4) Boo Boo Bear (from Yogi Bear)

5) Elroy Jetson & Astro

6) Fred Flintstone

7) George Jetson

8) Jane Jetson

9) Judy Jetson

10) Officer Dibble (from Top Cat)

11) Pebbles Flintstone

12) Ranger Smith (from Yogi Bear)

13) Rosie the Robot (from the Jetsons)

14) Top Cat (from Top Cat)

15) Wilma Flintstone

16) Yogi Bear (from Yogi Bear)

Wish we could just go back to regular series though...

1 hour ago, lifeinplastic said:

Same here, especially since, to me, it doesn't seem like we will see another normal regular series after S18 until Sept. 2019 at the earliest. I'm not really thrilled about a series filled with costumed characters. :hmpf_bad:

But I like your suggested Hanna Barbera lineup, and would like to see Lego focus licensed CMSs on broader franchises like Disney as opposed to CMSs based on just a single film.

15 hours ago, lifeinplastic said:

I'll agree with this, too.  As much as I like the normal series numbers lining up with the year of release, I'd much rather have 3 of those per year.  Maybe the licensing concepts will eventually go away.  There are many that I don't see them ever actually doing, as much as we might like them.

I hate to say it, but Series 17 felt like a filler series this year. In the most recent catalog it was given only half of a page

8 minutes ago, Robert8 said:

I hate to say it, but Series 17 felt like a filler series this year. In the most recent catalog it was given only half of a page

Why do you say that? The series gave us some fine archetypes for many different themes and genres, and they were all nicely designed. And hey, that Retro Space Hero...:excited:

But seriously, this series will be so much better than 2018's S18, given what we have heard about it so far. 

1 hour ago, x105Black said:

I'll agree with this, too.  As much as I like the normal series numbers lining up with the year of release, I'd much rather have 3 of those per year.  Maybe the licensing concepts will eventually go away.  There are many that I don't see them ever actually doing, as much as we might like them.

Agree.  To be perfectly honest, the only licensed series I've ever spent a cent on is Disney, and that's because, well, it's Disney.  I'm fine with getting Lego movie spinoff figures, but I'd much rather see more original figs!  And as @Robert8 has proven, there's definitely not a lack of ideas! :)

On June 30, 2017 at 6:04 PM, Tragic Banjo said:

Right, because Doctor Who is the most important thing in the whole entire universe and anytime anyone does anything at all that is not directly related to Doctor Who, they are bad and wrong and stupid. I almost forgot. I might need you to post the exact same thing another 1,630 times, just to make sure it sinks in.

Haha this is precisely how I think about people who always talk about Dr. Who. 

#noDr.Who 

On 6/30/2017 at 4:30 PM, jonwil said:

If they can't do CMFs because of licensing, how are they allowed to do the Star Wars buildable action figures without Hasbro being annoyed?

Those are technically not action figures, since they have a significant enough building aspect, and the branding across the front says loud and clear "Buildable Figures". They did some Technic versions of Marvel and DC heroes with the same loophole, but those didn't sell very well. I was surprised they tried again with SW but apparently those are selling. :shrug_confused:

My bet is on HP/FB, for these reasons: (1) it is still wildly popular, and growing,(2) there is no license dispute over Lego's ability to produce HP action figures; if Hasbro or anyone else ever did have them they've probably expired, (3) there are characters to support three series if they really wanted to, and (4) WB has been struggling to launch another movie franchise since HP and LOTR finished up; they've got DC but that's about it. Now that they've gone back to the HP well they're going to promote it like crazy where they can. Lastly, (5), whereas the Simpsons and Disney series applied to their respective universes at large, every other licensed theme so far has been based off a single movie (each)--every one of which was a WB release. A new series to coincide with the specific movie release of FB2 (and may happen to include some legacy HP characters) seems fitting.

p.s. I have no inside info, just calling it as I see it.

Edited by rodiziorobs