r4-g9

LEGO Collectable Minifigures Future Series Rumours

Was the Chicken Suit Guy successful? It was a complete flop in the UK. Sainsburys had so many left over they had to sell them off at £1 a box.

You can't say it's a flop judging only on 1 location or even one country. The chicken suit guy is highly in demand... I already have the original release but I would have bought another one if the promotion is locally available. However, I didn't get one because I am not paying for scalpers or so called importers who get them for cheap and charge me double or triple the original amount. The offers available overseas vs almost absent promotion here in my region shows that TLG has underestimated the demand in Asia once again.

At the same time as killing the series for anyone that has collected it from the start. Why would anyone display 16 duplicate figures in their display, and why would they go on to buy series 18 when their collection misses series 17.

Was the Chicken Suit Guy successful? It was a complete flop in the UK. Sainsburys had so many left over they had to sell them off at £1 a box.

I wouldn't mind the odd one-off in a set, but not repetition of older characters at all in the series itself. I'd prefer a new variant of a Spartan or Viking or Dwarf or Zombie (like they have already done for the latter) rather than an exact repeat.

I bought the last one from the nearest TRU, and the next nearest was sold out. And when the online promotion happened, I wasn't quick enough and missed out because they were gone quickly. I'd say that's fairly successful. But both your scenario and mine are merely anecdotal and cannot be considered a true measure of success.

Minifigure completionists are likely a small percentage of the overall purchasers. And yes, a true completionist would either buy and display the entire series, or skip it and go on to the next one.

Again, I'm not saying it's likely, but I do think it's possible. It would allow me and others to pick up older minifigures for retail value, rather than paying the extortionist scalpers a ridiculous sum of money (seriously, they are expensive enough at retail), which is always a good thing for the majority of LEGO customers.

Edited by x105Black

Again, I'm not saying it's likely, but I do think it's possible. It would allow me and others to pick up older minifigures for retail value, rather than paying the extortionist scalpers a ridiculous sum of money (seriously, they are expensive enough at retail), which is always a good thing for the majority of LEGO customers.

Couldn't agree with this more. The scalpers are ridiculous with the prices on some of these figures from the older series. There is no good reason to be selling, say the Bumblebee Girl, for $40 on Bricklink. It would be great to see Lego release some figures from older series and watch these guys extortionist prices go down.

However I don't know if I see Lego doing that with a whole series, but only time will tell.

I think that sales will not be quite as good as releasing 16 new minifigures.

Which is precisely the reason they don't usually re-release stuff, regardless of whether or not they consider minifigs as sets or not. :wink:

Edited by BrickHat

Which is precisely the reason they don't usually re-release stuff, regardless of whether or not they consider minifigs as sets or not. :wink:

And why I don't expect it to happen. But if they include some much wanted minifigures that are hard to find, the sales could be just as good.

I'm not sure if this is true, but I heard series 1 wasn't available everywhere, making it difficult to obtain them. Not much people have gotten them, but a fair share of people have them. I never had thr chance to get them, so i'd love if they one day release series 1 again. People wouldn't want that, but I'm sure a lot of people would be ok with that.

Edited by amazingbricks

I ordered Series 1 from S@H in 2010, got like all of the worst figures of the series, never saw them in stores. Saw the rest, though. Ah, I loved seeing them out there.

I actually never thought Series 1 was that great. I wasn't initially going to be a CMF completionist. But when I saw a full set of series 2 on Bricklink at a reasonable price (they didn't sell them in my country at the time), I went for it. When I received the figs I was so happy that I decided to buy Series 1 from the same seller, and I paid $3 per fig, because they had already been retired. And now here I am, completing all the numbered series and Disney, waiting for what's next. :grin:

Unless it's really bad, I think I'll be getting the Batman series, and ditto for the new numbered series, but I'll give my wallet a break with the Ninjago series, since I'm not a fan of that theme.

And why I don't expect it to happen. But if they include some much wanted minifigures that are hard to find, the sales could be just as good.

I don't know about this

Only a few would buy all the 16 minifigures

Most people would buy only the ones they are missing, which only in a few cases would be all the 16

I don't know about this

Only a few would buy all the 16 minifigures

Most people would buy only the ones they are missing, which only in a few cases would be all the 16

Yeah, pretty much. That seems to be the reason they'd rather include an evil robot in series 8 that looked like the old robot from series 1 instead of making a re-release. If I recall correctly the minifig encyclopedia says it was done for people who missed out on the fig in series 1. It might've been cheaper to recycle the old design (given that they both have the same molds), but they still went with a new design.

As a rule of thumb, re-releases have historically not sold as well as new releases, and I think they're aware of that.

Edited by BrickHat

I was pleasantly surprised by the rerelease of the Chicken Guy--I didn't own him due to the ridiculous after-market prices. I'm really hoping that they will rerelease Bumblebee Girl too, because there is no way I am paying $40 for her!

Do you think we'll ever see the Simpsons returning to the CMF theme?

No, they're done with the Simpson's. It was good while it lasted, but with Disney set to be a big hit along with Lego movies coming out, I don't see the Simpson's returning.

Do you think we'll ever see the Simpsons returning to the CMF theme?

Never say never, but I don't think it will be anytime soon.

No, they're done with the Simpson's. It was good while it lasted, but with Disney set to be a big hit along with Lego movies coming out, I don't see the Simpson's returning.

Any source to back it up? There are way much more characters I like to see in Simpsons than Disney... The Simpsons 2nd series was a mixed bag though... Missed many characters that should have been released with higher priority.

Any source to back it up? There are way much more characters I like to see in Simpsons than Disney... The Simpsons 2nd series was a mixed bag though... Missed many characters that should have been released with higher priority.

My source has told me that.

I'm fine with there being 3 series per year, if they made more than that, I'd be broke

Edited by amazingbricks

I think it's common sense for now that since we're not getting new Simpsons packs for Dimensions, no new D2C, and no new minifigure series, that LEGO Simpsons is over for the time being.

For me, I have not purchased a single Simpsons figure, so those 2 CMFs have been of no use to me. At least with Disney series I will pick up 3 or 4 figures, which is something.

You can't say it's a flop judging only on 1 location or even one country. The chicken suit guy is highly in demand... I already have the original release but I would have bought another one if the promotion is locally available. However, I didn't get one because I am not paying for scalpers or so called importers who get them for cheap and charge me double or triple the original amount. The offers available overseas vs almost absent promotion here in my region shows that TLG has underestimated the demand in Asia once again.

They definitely go the Asian demand wrong. People in the UK have been buying them for £1 and selling for £7-8 or so to bulk sellers in the Far East. So presumably they are marking them up even higher than that to pass them on, after taking into account shipping and their profit.

Couldn't agree with this more. The scalpers are ridiculous with the prices on some of these figures from the older series. There is no good reason to be selling, say the Bumblebee Girl, for $40 on Bricklink. It would be great to see Lego release some figures from older series and watch these guys extortionist prices go down.

There is a very good reason to sell it at $40, as that is what the top end of buyers are paying for it. Of course someone could list one at $5, but it would be snapped up and probably sold on at $40 to someone else.

I was pleasantly surprised by the rerelease of the Chicken Guy--I didn't own him due to the ridiculous after-market prices. I'm really hoping that they will rerelease Bumblebee Girl too, because there is no way I am paying $40 for her!

You can buy the keychain and dismantle it for a cheap option.

It is quite funny how she has risen in value, given that less than 1% of Eurobricks users had her as their favourite from the series (data snapped today). Even the skydiver was more popular.

series10_zpsnhm7cemb.png

Edited by MAB

You can't say it's a flop judging only on 1 location or even one country.

And I can say it was a complete flop in the UK, based on just about every Sainsbury's supermarket having to drop them to £1 to sell them off.

:sad:

However, I still wish to see the original traditional series and not focusing more towards the licensed or singular series. Traditional LEGO CMFs series appeal widely to masses and I know for certain that TLG is not really intending to focus on the traditional stuff anymore. I could sense there is a shift in their marketing and design approach. Only time will tell if the change in the LEGO CMFs will sustain and continue to appeal to many. It is no easy challenge to be able to create, design and introduce many new creative and original designs to attract to the masses. The LEGO Collectable Minifigures Series or known as LEGO Minifigures Theme is an unique commanding class of their own, which distinguish themselves from regular LEGO Theme or special releases.

:sad: