r4-g9

LEGO Collectable Minifigures Future Series Rumours

On 1/4/2023 at 1:21 PM, FinlayTheFaithful said:

I think it might be time for a new Scorpion figure

Probably all MCU figures again. :sad:  Personally I want Electro and Kingpin.

We got Ghost Rider and Morbius earlier this month so there is hope for non MCU characters.

20 hours ago, SamVimes said:

Looney toons sold poorly. 

It did? Where do you guys find the sales info at?

14 minutes ago, sylin said:

It did? Where do you guys find the sales info at?

Given that TLG doesn't publish sales figures, this conclusion is likely based on anecdotal evidence. What that can be useful and it's not conclusive.

15 minutes ago, SirBlake said:

Given that TLG doesn't publish sales figures, this conclusion is likely based on anecdotal evidence. What that can be useful and it's not conclusive.

Hm. If that's the case, it didn't seem like it sold all that poorly to me. I saw the LT bags getting snatched up faster than the series 21 ones that were out at the time back then whenever I went to Target. 

21 hours ago, SamVimes said:

Looney toons sold poorly. 

I don't know if sales on eBay or BL are any indication. 

Many eBay sellers have LT incomplete roster, some still have complete sets, compared to Muppets.

On BL, there's only three pages of sellers with complete LT sets, but Muppets still has five. The cheapest LT complete set in the USA is about USD80+ but $60+ for Muppets. Not saying that it sold/ sells better than Muppets but it seems as though it IS selling.

Looney Toons product seemed to sell well where I am, definitely seemed to fly off the shelves in Australia.

5 hours ago, SirBlake said:

TLG doesn't publish sales figures but Target, Walmart and Krogers do. And Lego's numbers would really only be a macro view since they are creator and distributor rather than a store front. 

Ultimately the CMF's will always come down to contractual agreements between TLG and the license holders. 

1 hour ago, SamVimes said:

TLG doesn't publish sales figures but Target, Walmart and Krogers do. And Lego's numbers would really only be a macro view since they are creator and distributor rather than a store front. 

Ultimately the CMF's will always come down to contractual agreements between TLG and the license holders. 

Target, Walmart and Kroger publish sales data on individual product sales? Do tell. 

On 1/9/2023 at 4:24 AM, jonwil said:

I am surprised they are making any further HP products at this point given the controversies surrounding the franchise.

Harry Potter merchandise still sells very well. I don't think the controversies surrounding JK Rowling's views have anywhere near as big an effect on the Harry Potter franchise as those that have opposite views to her want to make out. Go to Kings Cross Station. Go to The Shambles in York. Go anywhere where there is a HP attraction. People are willing to queue to take a photo or buy overpriced merch from a HP store. Potter is huge still. Kids that read it first time around are now adults and their kids will be or soon be of the age to read the books and watch the movies. LEGO knows this. I can't see them dropping the franchise any time soon.

11 hours ago, SirBlake said:

Target, Walmart and Kroger publish sales data on individual product sales? Do tell. 

Just email them and ask dude? You'd be amazed at the information people will give you if you send a polite email. 

5 hours ago, MAB said:

Harry Potter merchandise still sells very well. I don't think the controversies surrounding JK Rowling's views have anywhere near as big an effect on the Harry Potter franchise as those that have opposite views to her want to make out. Go to Kings Cross Station. Go to The Shambles in York. Go anywhere where there is a HP attraction. People are willing to queue to take a photo or buy overpriced merch from a HP store. Potter is huge still. Kids that read it first time around are now adults and their kids will be or soon be of the age to read the books and watch the movies. LEGO knows this. I can't see them dropping the franchise any time soon.

Oh I fully belive it would take something huge for them to drop the license but scaling it back? That is a little easier to do. But you can't judge the fandom on Kings Cross and The Shambles, The stores in the shambles have pretty small occupancy limits, I think the max is like 10 (medieval streets not being massive) and the area is a *huge* tourist trap, but the Golden Fleece across the street does an amazing steak pie.

18 minutes ago, SamVimes said:

Just email them and ask dude? You'd be amazed at the information people will give you if you send a polite email. 

I find this answer to be woefully unsatisfactory. I think it’s doubtful that any of these retailers have data so detailed that they can accurately assess the performance of one CMF series vs another, and if they did have that data, it would take work to parse, and they would have zero motivation to do that work and share it with a stranger on the phone or over email. 

The burden of proof on the claim that we have insight into individual SKUs via retailers is in you, and no proof has been provided. 

note: I don’t mean to sound as prickly as I may be coming across. I’m simply trying to define “is”, rather than “feels like”, and I think any firm assertion one way or the other when it comes to an individual series performance, and I maintain that we as consumers lack the data to make a firm assertion either way. 

Edited by SirBlake

4 hours ago, SamVimes said:

Oh I fully belive it would take something huge for them to drop the license but scaling it back? That is a little easier to do. But you can't judge the fandom on Kings Cross and The Shambles, The stores in the shambles have pretty small occupancy limits, I think the max is like 10 (medieval streets not being massive) and the area is a *huge* tourist trap, but the Golden Fleece across the street does an amazing steak pie.

I think it is more like 25-30. I rarely go in these days. In summer, the queues can be very long. Although even the Harry Potter stores are now small queues compared to the ghost shop. And they get long queues in the rain too!

We had two "in-house" theme CMF series last year. Did Lego do that because it was their 90th anniversary or are we going to get it every now and then?

1 hour ago, hikouki said:

We had two "in-house" theme CMF series last year. Did Lego do that because it was their 90th anniversary or are we going to get it every now and then?

Because it was the 90th year anniversary, they have also said that the CMF number of the normal series is the same as the year is more or less random change or at least noting they take into consideration when releasing a new series. So we can get 2 normal series next year if that is best for their release schedule :shrug_oh_well:

On 1/10/2023 at 9:05 AM, SirBlake said:

I find this answer to be woefully unsatisfactory. I think it’s doubtful that any of these retailers have data so detailed that they can accurately assess the performance of one CMF series vs another, and if they did have that data, it would take work to parse, and they would have zero motivation to do that work and share it with a stranger on the phone or over email. 

The burden of proof on the claim that we have insight into individual SKUs via retailers is in you, and no proof has been provided. 

note: I don’t mean to sound as prickly as I may be coming across. I’m simply trying to define “is”, rather than “feels like”, and I think any firm assertion one way or the other when it comes to an individual series performance, and I maintain that we as consumers lack the data to make a firm assertion either way. 

Here's the SKU 6000203241549 go satisfy yourself? I mean there are a ton of API scrapers, go nuts.

That said if WB are going to do another series, Animaniacs would be a better choice?

5 hours ago, SamVimes said:

Here's the SKU 6000203241549 go satisfy yourself? I mean there are a ton of API scrapers, go nuts.

You missed the burden of proof I mentioned. 

Disney 100 figures have leaked (promobricks being the original source of the leak) and the leaks indicate we are getting 18 figures this time around, not just 12.

Will reserve judgement until I see pictures but some of them do sound cool.

We can not get 16 for normal series anymore, but Disney get 18 :hmpf_bad:
With a Disney tax it would not surprise me if they get a price increase :tongue:

On 1/15/2023 at 8:18 PM, SirBlake said:

You missed the burden of proof I mentioned. 

Nah. You want to "won" the argument? Go do the work. I'm not legitimizing your 3rd grade attempt at discourse. 

I mean, even just from a bizdev stand point

- New molds had to be made for the entire CMF line, means a short production run. Unlike the regular CMF's. And the speed at which it was retired was nuts. 

- WB had faith that people would buy them, Looney Tunes being something that grabs the "collector" dollar, but the target market was never kids. 

On 1/17/2023 at 12:24 AM, Roebuck said:

We can not get 16 for normal series anymore, but Disney get 18 :hmpf_bad:
With a Disney tax it would not surprise me if they get a price increase :tongue:

There has to be a push from Disney, just the sheer amount of properties they own must make the process hell on the design team. Also heroes and villains probably need to be balanced?

14 hours ago, SamVimes said:

Nah. You want to "won" the argument? Go do the work. I'm not legitimizing your 3rd grade attempt at discourse. 

I mean, even just from a bizdev stand point

- New molds had to be made for the entire CMF line, means a short production run. Unlike the regular CMF's. And the speed at which it was retired was nuts. 

- WB had faith that people would buy them, Looney Tunes being something that grabs the "collector" dollar, but the target market was never kids. 

I've already won the argument. You made a claim that requires data, but provided no data. I made a claim that the data doesn't exist or at least hasn't presented itself outside of a TLG board room. 

YOU go do the work, or recognize that your argument is not valid. I'm fine with either.

Looking at the roster of 12 CMFs makes them look sparse and a bit 'lonely' compared to when they were 18/ set.

I do not think they will ever return to 18/set (except for this upcoming Disney 100th). So perhaps Lego should just do two in-house theme CMFs every other year. That way they will still average out 18/ year. :laugh:

11 hours ago, hikouki said:

Looking at the roster of 12 CMFs makes them look sparse and a bit 'lonely' compared to when they were 18/ set.

I do not think they will ever return to 18/set (except for this upcoming Disney 100th). So perhaps Lego should just do two in-house theme CMFs every other year. That way they will still average out 18/ year. :laugh:

The standard series used to be 16 minifigures, 18 was reserved for certain licenses.

I could get behind your proposal, though for be the ideal would be to have all three series as non-licensed, with any licensed series being extra. It might sound ´greedy, but in this case I would be fine with 12 minfigs per series, meaning 36 non-licensed minifigs per year (+ whatever amount the licensed series would have), vs. the 48 that it used to be, so it shouldn't be that much more. Of course, there are other variables, such as production capacity, but that's why i call it my ideal solution, not necessarily optimal.

On 1/19/2023 at 8:47 AM, SirBlake said:

I've already won the argument. You made a claim that requires data, but provided no data. I made a claim that the data doesn't exist or at least hasn't presented itself outside of a TLG board room. 

YOU go do the work, or recognize that your argument is not valid. I'm fine with either.

https://www.brickeconomy.com/sets/theme/collectable-minifigures/subtheme/looney-tunes

alright-jenniferlawrence.gif

23 hours ago, Jim said:

@SamVimes and @SirBlake Let's keep it civilized okay? Thanks

If you go back through the conversation, I’ve been perfectly civil. I haven’t called anyone any names or posted condescending GIFs. I’ve even gone out of my way to clarify that I was not intending to come off as aggressive. I can’t say the same for Sam.

Maybe he’s used to the more hateful corners of the internet, but I’ve been here a long time. I know where the lines are drawn. I’m done with this nonsense.