r4-g9

LEGO Collectable Minifigures Future Series Rumours

5 hours ago, natesroom said:

i wonder if the weight difference of each box varies enough to be able to have a scale reflect that difference. If so i guess i could just bring a portable digital scale and weigh each one and the ones that match purchase those and see how close it was, lol. 

Been known to work with collectible card game packs when searching for foil cards.

2 hours ago, SirBlake said:

Whoah, easy killer. I was just being polite and not insinuating anything deeper. Truth be told, outside of this conversation, I don’t know you or your past posting at all, and I’m certainly not trying to imply you displaying a lack of respect for others’ opinions.

It's so hard to read tone on the internet...I didn't mean this as sharply as you seem to have taken it. I was sincerely wondering if I had ever come across as snobbish about my opinions.

51 minutes ago, Karalora said:

It's so hard to read tone on the internet...I didn't mean this as sharply as you seem to have taken it. I was sincerely wondering if I had ever come across as snobbish about my opinions.

Agreed, tone is tough through text. Thanks for bearing with me, lol. 

If I remember correctly some years ago people was sharing weights of the CMF figs so people could weigh them in the shop to separate them (maybe after they removed the identifying dots). I assume the method was "forgotten" since most of the CMF hunters learned to feel the bags and that was more convenient than carrying a weigh around when shopping. It may get its renaissance now, on one hand it may be a little embarrassing at times to feel the bags, but on the other hand start weighing them is down rate suspicious behaviour :tongue:

48 minutes ago, Roebuck said:

If I remember correctly some years ago people was sharing weights of the CMF figs so people could weigh them in the shop to separate them (maybe after they removed the identifying dots). I assume the method was "forgotten" since most of the CMF hunters learned to feel the bags and that was more convenient than carrying a weigh around when shopping. It may get its renaissance now, on one hand it may be a little embarrassing at times to feel the bags, but on the other hand start weighing them is down rate suspicious behaviour :tongue:

Also because someone tested this method with a couple of series and it turned out it wasnt an effective way to tell apart the minifigures as some of them weighted pretty much the same. In some cases even the amount of air inside the bag could mislead you when 2 minifigures had very similar weights 

Personally, I couldn’t care less about this change since I buy entire boxes anyway :tongue: I’m more surprised it took them this long, considering that customers not being able to tell what’s inside is kind of the entire point of a blind bagged product :poke:

With the news of CMFs becoming boxes instead of bags it really pushes me away from trying to get into collecting them again. I'm not one to get an entire box to complete a series so its a shame. Online orders will be the best option now to get that one minifigure you want.

Edited by Mister_Loki

On 7/1/2022 at 10:36 AM, natesroom said:

i wonder if the weight difference of each box varies enough to be able to have a scale reflect that difference. If so i guess i could just bring a portable digital scale and weigh each one and the ones that match purchase those and see how close it was, lol.

I’ve done this twice, with extremely limited success.  Once with the Unikitty series, which had groups of different weights due to three distinct style of figure (puppy, standing kitty, sitting kitty).  Beyond that, it was a crap shoot.  I did this for ~100 bags. I also did this for a 2-3 cases of vidiyo series 2 boxes and hit correctly fairly infrequently, to the point I figured my successes were more luck than anything.

This was with a .001g accuracy jewelry scale, btw. So I will say no, unless you have access to a commercial scale. I’ll probably see if I can borrow an x-ray machine before wasting time with a scale again!

Edited by KevinMD

On 7/1/2022 at 8:41 PM, SirBlake said:

Star Wars is an odd duck relative to minifigs because TLG can’t sell them on their own unless it falls into a different category, like a keychain. Hasbro has exclusive rights to anything around the “action figure” space, so Lego is limited to things like battle packs as far as minifig-centric products go. In other words, it needs to have a construction element or be paired with a book or something like that. 

LEGO like you to believe that. Collectable minifigures come with more parts than some single figure polybags that have been sold in the past.

A quick look on Brickset shows close to 20 polybags for Star Wars that contain a figure (and sometimes accessory) and nothing else. If the license supposedly prevents such things then how are those sets all allowed?

35 minutes ago, jonwil said:

A quick look on Brickset shows close to 20 polybags for Star Wars that contain a figure (and sometimes accessory) and nothing else. If the license supposedly prevents such things then how are those sets all allowed?

A lot of those (like the recent blue milk Luke) are actually promos of some sort. I imagine that technically giving something away for free (as a bonus when you purchase something else) isn’t the same as selling it directly as far as the laws surrounding these things are concerned. 

So now that Indiana Jones is returning I wonder if we’ll get a CMF series to go along with the sets next year?

I really doubt it. I just dont think there are enough recognizable characters to fill a CMF line

Indiana Jones is pretty iconic, but it all revolves around Indiana Jones himself

From the licensed CMFs so far, the closest in similarity would be Wizarding World, but in that franchise there are several well-known characters 

Okay…. If Indiana Jones  Series and Marvel Series 2 would happen next year, I don’t see a possibility for Disney Series 3 myself. it’s because Indiana Jones AND Marvel are owned by Disney. 

Looney Tunes or DC comic Series 2 will do fine. Scooby Doo Series does better. Hanna Barbara / Cartoon Network Series will do great.

18 hours ago, DBlegonerd7 said:

And why?

Because it's more about the adventure than the characters, (unlike something like say superheroes), it has less iconic characters ( Indy himself is very iconic but the big characters in Thier most recognisable forms will already be in sets). It's also less aimed at young children than most CMF themes and less colourful too.

I do enjoy the film's don't get me wrong I just don't see it as a CMF.

I think I’d rather have a non-licensed Adventurers CMF series than Indiana Jones. Doubt it would happen but would offer a lot more possibilities of animal accessories. 

One of the best things with the CMF theme is it huge budget and sometimes they make use of that budget to make other sets with a lower budget better:wub:
A few examples on top of my head:

Series 20 pirate match nicely with the Barracuda bay set and the hat/hair is
cmf-series-20-nobg-4-864x576.jpg
Used in B-bay for Robin Loot as a recolor:
73107-extra.jpg

Series 22 Horse and Groom match perfectly

71032-5.jpg?202112021137

with the horse transporter set, even if the parts are not used in the set

60327_Box1_v39.png?fit=bounds&format=png
Series 22 bard must be the most used in a following set to date?
71032_Bard.jpg?media=1648578386

10305 Lion Knights' Castle, uses the head for the baker, hat for the farmer and torso for the boy:
79311_Castle%2019.jpg

in addition the coins and lute are included in the set, so only the feather plume and legs are not reused :sweet:
Hope they continue to do this in the future :wub:
Do you know of any other examples?

5 minutes ago, Roebuck said:

The serie 22 foal is also rumoured to be recoloured in white for this year's City Advent calendar! I don't know what the budget for Advent Calendars is, but it would be the very first time there's something I find as awesome in such a set. :wub:

Other than that, at least the violin from series 21 made an appearance in two Vidiyo sets. But the Vidiyo theme was not really limited in terms of new moulds !

10 minutes ago, Aurore said:

The serie 22 foal is also rumoured to be recoloured in white for this year's City Advent calendar! I don't know what the budget for Advent Calendars is, but it would be the very first time there's something I find as awesome in such a set. 

That is probably the best thing coming out of a Lego advent calendar ever :wub_drool: However I think it is more the case of the AC takes advantage of parts already on the marked instead of it being CMF using its budget to make the AC better :shrug_oh_well:

17 minutes ago, Aurore said:

Other than that, at least the violin from series 21 made an appearance in two Vidiyo sets. But the Vidiyo theme was not really limited in terms of new moulds !

It is possible if Vidiyo came out around the same time as the CMF, but as you say the theme had a high budget so was probably not dependent on the CMF budget to make moulds for them :classic:

On 7/19/2022 at 5:18 PM, DBlegonerd7 said:

And why?

The are just not enough named characters to have a CMF and a theme. The variants and characters in licensed series we have had don't overlap and reproduce what LEGO was doing in sets.

Today it was announced Marvel What if... Season 2 will debut next spring, whichs means if Marvel gets a CMF it must be the September one. 

So, the nex new CMF boxes would be introduced with this Marvel series

I'm really curious about the January/May series....

On 7/21/2022 at 5:02 PM, Roebuck said:

One of the best things with the CMF theme is it huge budget and sometimes they make use of that budget to make other sets with a lower budget better:wub:
A few examples on top of my head:

Spoiler

Series 20 pirate match nicely with the Barracuda bay set and the hat/hair is
cmf-series-20-nobg-4-864x576.jpg
Used in B-bay for Robin Loot as a recolor:
73107-extra.jpg

Series 22 Horse and Groom match perfectly

71032-5.jpg?202112021137

with the horse transporter set, even if the parts are not used in the set

60327_Box1_v39.png?fit=bounds&format=png
Series 22 bard must be the most used in a following set to date?
71032_Bard.jpg?media=1648578386

10305 Lion Knights' Castle, uses the head for the baker, hat for the farmer and torso for the boy:
79311_Castle%2019.jpg

in addition the coins and lute are included in the set, so only the feather plume and legs are not reused :sweet:

Hope they continue to do this in the future :wub:

There's obviously quite a lot of CMF parts and accessories that have made other sets better, do you mean CMFs released almost concurrently or with in a few months of release that the designers intend to complement the set? As in your foal example?

I'm going to quote myself from another post :P

21 hours ago, rebelpilot said:

I'm convinced the only reason there is a knight costume girl in S23 is so the designers of 10305 could offset some of the new parts budget to the CMF line with the printed shield and gold grille piece. Maybe this applies a bit to series 22. 

When I say "new parts budget" I mean unique elements.

Others I can think of:

Series 19 Monkey King was obviously a precursor to Monkie Kid the following year.

Series 20 Pyjama Girl's bunny was possibly made to include in 21324 Sesame Street or maybe the designer just took advantage of the recently produced element.

Series 21 Beekeeper's headgear, honey comb tile and Ladybug's printed ladybug tile were probably a case of the 41703 Friendship Tree House designer taking advantage of the recently produced existing element. There's a heap of these examples like the Hotdog, Pea and Corn Cob costume being repurposed but still pretty cool. 

Series 8 I think the Vampire Bat may have been produced so the elements could be reused for Monster Fighters Vampyre Castle even though the Castle was released first by a few months. 

Conversely I think it's interesting when it goes the opposite way. The Centaur body being produced for the Harry Potter 75967 Forbidden Forest, then they were probably thinking what can we do with this one off mould, ok stick a Centaur Warrior in the next CMF series ;)

edit: Oh and the Series 22 Racoon Costume minifig head is also in 10305, but it's pretty generic, they could have reused any of the other female minifig heads. 

Edited by rebelpilot

In Series 14, Tiger Lady and Zombie Cheerleader hairpieces were reused for Catwoman and Harley Quinn a few months after