r4-g9

LEGO Collectable Minifigures Future Series Rumours

The license held by whoever makes the LOTR tabletop game (with the figures) prevented LEGO from doing LOTR battle packs and figures in the past and I don't see any reason why that would have changed.

So you can forget about a LOTR CMF series or anything else that makes LOTR figures easier to army build.

To be honest I'd be pretty annoyed by a lotr remake. Spend too much time and money making my custom Thror, Thrain, Faramir, Eowyn, Sauron and Witch king in legolike quality with custom printing, 3d printed parts, painting and so on... the quality of koruit lotr-Figures makes it pretty unlikely that too many people get tempted to start armybuilding Cmf-Uruks^^' 

4 hours ago, MAB said:

Any LOTR CMF series would probably have to contain The Fellowship, so that is nine places already gone. It is getting on for almost a decade since the first sets were released, and so a CMF series is unlikely to sell well if The Fellowship are not included as new customers will not be interested if they cannot get the key characters. The LOTR Witch King is another character that would be very popular for older collectors but places may well be taken up by orcs and uruks, as they will be popular for army builders. That said, it is unlikely to happen, so barely worth thinking about!

2 hours ago, jonwil said:

The license held by whoever makes the LOTR tabletop game (with the figures) prevented LEGO from doing LOTR battle packs and figures in the past and I don't see any reason why that would have changed.

So you can forget about a LOTR CMF series or anything else that makes LOTR figures easier to army build.

If we were to get anything LOTR, it would be tied to the upcoming Amazon Prime TV series, which is set before The Fellowship of the Ring. Highly unlikely because some months ago it was reported that a casting call for the show was looking for actors/actresses comfortable with nudity, suggesting at least the possibility of a TV-MA rating for the show. That added to the licensing issues means LOTR CMF is probably off the table for the foreseeable future.

Maybe it has already been proposed, but I would love a "Super Mario" serie ! Probably a mix between minifigures and brickbuild characters.

54 minutes ago, notpennysboat said:

Maybe it has already been proposed, but I would love a "Super Mario" serie ! Probably a mix between minifigures and brickbuild characters.

Super Mario series sounds great! We need Luigi, Pirnces Peach, etc! I’m sure Lego will be enough generous to offer us some new character in sets.

but not going to happen this year. We may have the third series this year that would be Marvel or licensed theme. Also not for 2022 either because we will have SEries 22, Disney Series 3 and Harry Potter Series 3. 

Disney SEries 1 came in 2016, Series 2 came in 2019. Harry Potter Series 1 came in 2018, Series 2 came in 2020. So maybe 2023 would be good for Super Mario series then? 

2 hours ago, DBlegonerd7 said:

Super Mario series sounds great! We need Luigi, Pirnces Peach, etc! I’m sure Lego will be enough generous to offer us some new character in sets.

but not going to happen this year. We may have the third series this year that would be Marvel or licensed theme. Also not for 2022 either because we will have SEries 22, Disney Series 3 and Harry Potter Series 3. 

Disney SEries 1 came in 2016, Series 2 came in 2019. Harry Potter Series 1 came in 2018, Series 2 came in 2020. So maybe 2023 would be good for Super Mario series then? 

Mario CMF is possible this year, since the third series is just a license Lego has done but not as a CMF. I don't expect to happen, but it hasn't been ruled out. Nothing is confirmed for 2022 yet either.

On 1/8/2021 at 11:48 PM, gedren_y said:

If we were to get anything LOTR, it would be tied to the upcoming Amazon Prime TV series, which is set before The Fellowship of the Ring. Highly unlikely because some months ago it was reported that a casting call for the show was looking for actors/actresses comfortable with nudity, suggesting at least the possibility of a TV-MA rating for the show. That added to the licensing issues means LOTR CMF is probably off the table for the foreseeable future.

Oh boy... That tells us much about the quality we can expect Middle Earth never needed that to keep the reader/viewer/listener interested :/

On 1/8/2021 at 10:48 PM, gedren_y said:

Yes, my answer was based on the LOTR movies.

As to the nudity issue of the amazon series, I doubt it will be anything like Game of Thrones. On set nudity is different to see scenes. Show an image of a semi naked woman's back, and she needs to be comfortable with on set nudity. Show a man skinny dipping in a river, and he needs to be comfortable with on set nudity.

On 1/8/2021 at 10:35 PM, Gorilla94 said:

To be honest I'd be pretty annoyed by a lotr remake. Spend too much time and money making my custom Thror, Thrain, Faramir, Eowyn, Sauron and Witch king in legolike quality with custom printing, 3d printed parts, painting and so on... the quality of koruit lotr-Figures makes it pretty unlikely that too many people get tempted to start armybuilding Cmf-Uruks^^' 

If I could buy genuine uruk cmfs for £3, compared to fake ones for £1 then I'd go with the genuine ones. I have got a lot of koruit Gondor and dwarf soldiers but I only use the armour, on genuine lego figures.

20 hours ago, BigGuy4U said:

Mario CMF is possible this year, since the third series is just a license Lego has done but not as a CMF. I don't expect to happen, but it hasn't been ruled out. Nothing is confirmed for 2022 yet either.

Is it possible Lego will bring back a License that is currently not in production, or is it understood to be a License which is currently receiving sets?

according to Lego shop at home, we are currently receiving sets for the following Licenses (not counting DC/Disney/HP that received CMF series)

•Overwatch (probably not)

• Super Mario (maybe honestly)

• Minecraft (why?? Would they??)

• Star Wars (hopefully not)

• Stranger Things (probably not)

• Minions (definitely not)

• Marvel (probably)

I’d say of these themes Marvel and Mario are the most obvious. If they were to bring a License back for CMF series I pray its Adventure Time. As for what we’re currently receiving sets for I think its neck and neck between Marvel and Super Mario. The thing with Super Mario is we don’t get normal figs for the sets so it makes sense to release the figures through a CMF series. Assuming they choose to maintain the size dynamics of the Mario theme and  they are only using Licenses currently in production I feel confident saying its definitely Marvel bc who would buy Minions? I don’t think Overwatch has the market for a CMF series, Star Wars probably has licensing issues and also has released most if its heavy hitters as figures over the years through sets, Minecraft/Stranger Things is very weird to see as CMF series. So unless they bring back adventure time or do Mario out of the blue (a possibility I’d be okay with, I’d love Peach/Daisy/Waluigi figures), its definitely Marvel.

Unless of course they bring back Spongebob...

3 hours ago, cosmic said:

Is it possible Lego will bring back a License that is currently not in production, or is it understood to be a License which is currently receiving sets?

It would have to be a license that Lego currently has the rights to, so other properties like Ghostbusters, Universal Monsters etc. which have had recent sets but not full themes are also on the table. To my understanding it's not a revival of an old theme.

3 hours ago, BigGuy4U said:

It would have to be a license that Lego currently has the rights to, so other properties like Ghostbusters, Universal Monsters etc. which have had recent sets but not full themes are also on the table. To my understanding it's not a revival of an old theme.

If they’re not reviving an old license then its either Super Mario or Marvel. And with rumors that Marvel was getting a CMF series (admittedly it was like 1 guy who said that and was not thrown around a lot) I’m thinking it may be Marvel. Although a Super Mario wave would be amazing. Not sure of any Licenses besides Ghost Busters that have had a few sets but no full theme. Having said that Ghostbusters definitely doesn’t have enough of a base or roster of figures to fill a wave. If I had to put money I’d bet on Marvel. Especially since we just got DC.

Edited by cosmic

2 hours ago, cosmic said:

If they’re not reviving an old license then its either Super Mario or Marvel. And with rumors that Marvel was getting a CMF series (admittedly it was like 1 guy who said that and was not thrown around a lot) I’m thinking it may be Marvel. Although a Super Mario the ave would be amazing. Not sure any Licenses besides Ghost Busters that have had a few sets but no full theme. Having said that Ghostbusters definitely doesn’t have enough of a base or roster of figures to fill a wave. If I had to put money I’d bet on Marvel. Especially since we just got DC.

If it would be Marvel CMF Series, a quesiton is what is kind of Marvel? MCU, Comic, or Marvel TV show? We will find out in a near future. 

And you failed to mention Jurasic World. I dont’ think Jurasic World for CMF Series would be sold well because not enough figures to fill in a wave and it’s impossible to include dinosaur parts (body, legs, head, tail). 

29 minutes ago, DBlegonerd7 said:

If it would be Marvel CMF Series, a quesiton is what is kind of Marvel? MCU, Comic, or Marvel TV show? We will find out in a near future. 

And you failed to mention Jurasic World. I dont’ think Jurasic World for CMF Series would be sold well because not enough figures to fill in a wave and it’s impossible to include dinosaur parts (body, legs, head, tail). 

I did forget Jurassic World, but as you said they are certainly not strong contenders. It really is between Mario and Marvel. I’m happy with either. As for what the focus of the wave was, if we take notes from DC, every figure in that wave was comic based. I think the Disney Plus shows may receive their own sets. I do not however think Marvel will just be comic based because I think they understand the massive market the MCU has. This question always boggles me because Marvel produces both MCU and comic sets, the Harry Potter wave was mixed, like why wouldn’t a Marvel series also be mixed? Lego has, since 2012 released sets of various source material. The real question is what proportions would look like. 50/50 or mainly comic?

I think since the MCU receives more sets, and most characters have been portrayed in some form or another in Lego, and since we’re missing so many comic based characters it makes sense to emphasize that more. If I had to guess, it would hopefully be a huge wave (dear lord can anyone confirm if it’ll have 12 figures (bc yikes)). similar  to Harry Potter where only 8 figures go to the MCU and the bulk of the wave is comic based figures.

The guardians, the X-Men, Thors roster of supporting characters, Scarlet Witch, Vision, Ant-Man/Wasp. We have a lot of figures who have not gotten comic variants. And even in that they have decades of different costumes to sort through. I personally want Gamora in her purple, black and white, and dark blue and red suits. I want Thor in various different forms, Marvel Now Scarlet Witch and Moon Knight, different versions of Loki. Etc etc. There’s just so many comic based characters we haven’t gotten, and so many different suits to get them in, I would hope this series throws a bone to the comic fans. Sometimes I think I’m the only one lol the Marvel thread is packed with MCU fans and I’m like the lone comic desiring fan (a complete exaggeration but I do feel the need to be vocal about wanting these things bc I am a minority (not victimizing myself get off my back)). 

tl;dr we most probably will get both but the comic figures are whats truly lacking and I pray we get mostly those. And also if its a theme as huge as Marvel it needs to be the size of the first Harry Potter wave.

5 minutes ago, LOTR34 said:

Since I've been out of the loop in regards to CMF rumors, what do we know about the 3rd series this year? 

It's a license that has had sets before, but never a CMF.

Itaria said "a license never done before as CMFs" 

It could still be a new license 

10 hours ago, Robert8 said:

Itaria said "a license never done before as CMFs" 

It could still be a new license 

I hope it's a new license,hopefully a Nintendo one with all their popular characters from their games.

Mega Construction had cmf style Minions series, and went on for 10 or more series, although they were smaller than LEGO cmf series. They must have been popular enough to go on for so long. It is probably too late to cash in on them now, but I wouldn't totally rule it out as lego are not always on the ball as to what is currently hot. 

Nintendo is getting another wave of character packs next summer. I dont think they would want 2 waves of blind bags for the same theme so close from each other

I think this rules out Nintendo as the fall CMF series

13 minutes ago, Robert8 said:

Nintendo is getting another wave of character packs next summer. I dont think they would want 2 waves of blind bags for the same theme so close from each other

I think this rules out Nintendo as the fall CMF series

Marvel has now been confirmed!

2 hours ago, BrickHat said:

Marvel has now been confirmed!

About time! Now we know the confirmation of the third series! 

Thank you for sharing!!

Hopefully we get some good characters and not just more variants of Iron Man, Captain America, Spider-Man etc.

@Robert8, did Itaria  say that Marvel (third) series will go back to 16 instead of 12? Or will stay 12? 

16 minutes ago, jonwil said:

Hopefully we get some good characters and not just more variants of Iron Man, Captain America, Spider-Man etc.

Honestly, I’m hoping for a classical comic-book Captian America. But I understand that there are SO many variants within DC and Marvel themes. 

Edited by DBlegonerd7

I would rather see some X-Men or Fantastic Four or some stuff we have never really had before rather than more variants (even comic book variants) of characters we already have.

Well... there goes that I guess :sceptic:

Time to look forward to 2022

We are only on Jan 12th and this theme has already ended for me this year. Kind of sad in a way haha