r4-g9

LEGO Collectable Minifigures Future Series Rumours

Oh noes... There goes your hope on at least a "half-arsed" Pirate Theme revival through the means of Ideas projects. Once they wave a Castle project through, that theme will surely get the same treatment.

Interestingly though, having several Space related stuff does not seem to be of concern.

Edited by Capparezza

So do we know what series we will be getting in 2021? I remember Looney Tunes series being rumored by reliable sources on Instagram, I assume it will be may/June release to be closer to new Space Jam movie. The other will obviously be series 21. So do we know what 3rd series will be? I remember hearing that Marvel I s a possibility as well as Mario/Nintendo. Anyone have any news on that front?

1 hour ago, Lego-Freak said:

Allegedly, the upcoming CMF series will only have 12 figures each: 

https://www.promobricks.de/lego-minifiguren-2021/108244/

If true, I hope it’s not the case for every new series :sad:

Sounds strange to me, maybe because the price is so high now that it is hard for collectors/kids to justify buying all of them :sceptic:
I am only buying those I am interested in, so fewer figs sounds to me like a step in the wrong direction with less variation..

If the translation was right Promobricks suggest that the ideas are running low, that is almost guaranteed not the reason, in those interviews I have seen with the designers they always have plenty of ideas for future series.
Also that the animals are the selling point rather than the figs, well that certainly is the case for me, but the 2 last series have only had one each :sceptic:

2 hours ago, Roebuck said:

Sounds strange to me, maybe because the price is so high now that it is hard for collectors/kids to justify buying all of them :sceptic:
I am only buying those I am interested in, so fewer figs sounds to me like a step in the wrong direction with less variation..

If the translation was right Promobricks suggest that the ideas are running low, that is almost guaranteed not the reason, in those interviews I have seen with the designers they always have plenty of ideas for future series.
Also that the animals are the selling point rather than the figs, well that certainly is the case for me, but the 2 last series have only had one each :sceptic:

Outside of HP, who I buy all of regardless, I also only buy who I find interesting. I hadn’t thought of that, that there’s now a lower chance of getting interesting characters. Shoot. In that case, at least it’s more money for sets. After all this time, it’s kinda weird they would suddenly cut the numbers like that. 

Could COVID19 be a factor here?

Sales of Series 20 were severly damaged by the pandemic and we are not ready to go back to feeling bags yet.

Maybe is some sort of precaution? Because no one knows when this will be over

If Looney Tunes is the next series then it will probably come with many unique molds, and they might just want to limit the number characters to save money. Looney Tunes would be the best series to only include 12, considering that number is enough to cover the major characters and it will still cost a normal series to produce. 

It will be very sad if they continue this into regular series ! 

LEGO possibly cutting down overall number of sets could be a factor (Covid), just look how many large sets we just had announed in recent months, Monkie kid's smallest non polybag being a €30 set etc.

Also 36/72 a box at even distribution might help selling complete sets better instead of feeling(Covid)

Looney Tunes will allegedly fill the second CMF spot next year: https://www.promobricks.de/lego-71030-looney-tunes/108247/

The set number is 71030 (no surprise there) and it will include 12 minifigs, so it’s not just the regular series this new approach concerns :sceptic: I guess S21 is the January series then?

45 minutes ago, Lego-Freak said:

Looney Tunes will allegedly fill the second CMF spot next year: https://www.promobricks.de/lego-71030-looney-tunes/108247/

The set number is 71030 (no surprise there) and it will include 12 minifigs, so it’s not just the regular series this new approach concerns :sceptic: I guess S21 is the January series then?

I still hope 21 is the third one and it's just the next 2 licenced ones that have 12 figures.

4 hours ago, Gorilla94 said:

I still hope 21 is the third one and it's just the next 2 licenced ones that have 12 figures.

I would say that depends on what the licensed series is... Something like Disney S3 has such an extensive amount of characters to pull from that only 12 would be disappointing. Personally, I'd rather have less figures in a standard non-licensed series since you don't really "miss out" on anything since it's not based on anything in particular, so it's not like you can have any glaring omissions.

Well, the Promobricks article does say "Rumor: Allegedly both LEGO minifigure series will come with fewer figures in the first half of 2021." So that leaves things open for a return to 16 figures in the fall.

Besides Looney Tunes, another potential licensed CMF series that would make sense with a 12 figure limit is Universal Monsters.

I'm hoping that 2021 will look like this:

January: Universal Monsters (12 figures)

May: Looney Tunes (12 figures)

September: Series 21 (back to 16 figures)

I think it makes sense to limit the licensed ones to 12, where there are only a small number of popular characters. They have already done this with the very similar Unikitty line - that was a series of 12. Both Looney Tunes and Universal Monsters, I can think of about 12 in each that I would want done (and for Monsters, that already includes a number (nearly all) that will duplicate what has gone before). 

11 hours ago, The Brick Rat said:

Well, the Promobricks article does say "Rumor: Allegedly both LEGO minifigure series will come with fewer figures in the first half of 2021." So that leaves things open for a return to 16 figures in the fall.

Besides Looney Tunes, another potential licensed CMF series that would make sense with a 12 figure limit is Universal Monsters.

I'm hoping that 2021 will look like this:

January: Universal Monsters (12 figures)

May: Looney Tunes (12 figures)

September: Series 21 (back to 16 figures)

A Universal Monsters series 3 months after Halloween seems like very poor timing though, so I doubt it's that.

6 hours ago, Anonknee Muss said:

So which series is coming out in January again?

Considering we don't know anything abput the January series yet, I say Series 21 is the most likely

I sure hope we get series 21 and 22 next year that would be great like the days of old .....

Also was the Sesame Street/muppets rumor dead?

6 hours ago, 1Panda said:

I sure hope we get series 21 and 22 next year that would be great like the days of old .....

I see no reason for them to abandon the current pattern :shrug_oh_well:

6 hours ago, 1Panda said:

Also was the Sesame Street/muppets rumor dead?

That‘s not a rumour, a Sesame Street Ideas set is coming :wink: Or are you refering to something else?

26 minutes ago, Lego-Freak said:

I see no reason for them to abandon the current pattern :shrug_oh_well:

That‘s not a rumour, a Sesame Street Ideas set is coming :wink: Or are you refering to something else?

There was speculation that LEGO would make a Muppets or Sesame Street CMF series to be able to justify new moulds for the Sesame Street IDEAS set. 

5 minutes ago, MAB said:

There was speculation that LEGO would make a Muppets or Sesame Street CMF series to be able to justify new moulds for the Sesame Street IDEAS set. 

I see. But I think we‘ve reached a point where Ideas sets leeching off of a CMF series‘ budget doesn‘t make much sense any more. First off, if a Disney S3 was coming, around half of the spots would have to go to Winnie Pooh characters and the other half to Muppets characters due to the reduced amount of minifigs per series (in case they would really use Muppets moulds for Sesame Street characters in the first place, which sounds very implausible to me). 
Secondly, the gap between the Ideas sets and their respective CMF series would be way larger than it was with the Steamboat Willie set. Thirdly, we already know about one of the licensed CMF series next year, so unless they up it to 4 series a year, none of this would really add up. 

In essence, I think it‘s way more likely that the Ideas minifigs either repurpose other parts, finally receive new moulds thanks to an increased budget - which Ideas definitely deserves - or don‘t exist at all à la Adventures Times. I hope they go with the second option :excited: