r4-g9

LEGO Collectable Minifigures Future Series Rumours

On 4/14/2020 at 4:06 PM, lifeinplastic said:

Me too - I'd be moaning about it pretty much non-stop! The regular CMF lines give us so more to add to the Lego universe by including things that wouldn't get made into regular sets. Just think of all the special moulds that have been made for music instruments, sports equipment, animals (not to mention how many of these items that still don't exist). These things wouldn't be included in a regular set as the parts that make them worthwhile just wouldn't be deemed essential to justify increasing the cost of each set.

I find the licensed series rarely offer much that couldn't be included in a regular set (in my view super hero themes generally are just collectible figures with added bricks included). I acknowledge I'm generalising here and it's cool that we have all the Star Wars/Batman/Avengers main characters but I'm just not that interested in seeing 101 variations of Batman suits. Don't get me wrong, I'm not anti-comic books or against Lego having licenses - we all like different things after all. However, I just don't want licensed themes to monopolise the Lego brand and don't see why certain figures can't just be released with regular sets.

Yes, yes yes. We get so many great new parts & prints for all sorts of things. I know most people would prefer non LEGO theme variety, as would I, but I love the minifigures(for the most part) that compliment the City theme. Like the Dog Sitter. Absolutely great print, new poop part & two great dogs.

To partially defend the Superheroes theme, for me personally, they’re very hit or miss. Some sets, typically smaller ones, do feel like collectible minifigures with bricks included. But we do get gems like Daily Bugle, Ultimate Bridge Battle, & Sanctum Sanctorum sets. Even a lot of the vehicles are decent & fun builds. Like the Spider Crawler from recent years(and this years), I really enjoyed the end result of quite a few of them. 

23 hours ago, Karalora said:

I for one think people sometimes get a little too excited about a CMF just because they like the accessory it comes with. I'm as happy as anyone to see new animals and items come with the CMFs, but in many cases I think those could be introduced in full sets and the figure itself is sort of bland. I would much rather have cool historical or fantasy characters with pre-existing accessories (maybe in a new color) than uninspired City figures that happen to have interesting toys.

*cough* Diver *cough* I love that turtle, but I couldn’t care less for the diver... Why we couldn’t get the turtle in the new Divers sub theme of City. 

4 minutes ago, Vindicare said:

*cough* Diver *cough* I love that turtle, but I couldn’t care less for the diver... Why we couldn’t get the turtle in the new Divers sub theme of City. 

So that you buy one. 
also we don’t know if it’s not in the city sets as of now

Thank you all very much for the news! :classic:

There are really some brilliant minifigs in this series - I esp. like  the Hiphopper and the Knight. Plus TLG thought of some very nice new elements - I esp. like the drone, the plush bunny and the new turtle. :wub:

I have to admit that all in all it doesn't give me the impression to be an anniversary series - therefore there are some too generic and too simple minifigs included. But I'm at least happy that we get a normal, non-licensed series and am looking forward to getting some of the minifigs! :thumbup:

31 minutes ago, 1Panda said:

So that you buy one. 
also we don’t know if it’s not in the city sets as of now

Yes, I already thought about that, too. But since the divers sets are released only two months after this series, I doubt it. But even if nevertheless, TLG would for sure use a different color (combination) for them in the City sets than in this CMF series.

6 hours ago, Klaus-Dieter said:

Yes, I already thought about that, too. But since the divers sets are released only two months after this series, I doubt it. But even if nevertheless, TLG would for sure use a different color (combination) for them in the City sets than in this CMF series.

Or they just release some bright blue/pink/yellow ones within Friends. :devil:

26 minutes ago, Holodoc said:

Or they just release some bright blue/pink/yellow ones within Friends. :devil:

Please stop writing such things... someone working in the company could read it... :cry_sad::iamded_lol:

23 hours ago, Anonknee Muss said:

I recommend looking up on medieval history.

A plague doctor probably isn’t the best choice right now.

I know perfectly well what a plague doctor is/was. I was making a joke. Some people with dark senses of humor have taken to wearing plague doctor costumes when they go outside, in the spirit of the times. Hence, City theme.

Edited by Karalora

8 minutes ago, Karalora said:

I know perfectly well what a plague doctor is/was. I was making a joke. Some people with dark senses of humor have taken to wearing plague doctor costumes when they go outside, in the spirit of the times. Hence, City theme.

Oh I see. My apologies. Yes I will soon be one of those said people... when my mask arrives.

On 4/17/2020 at 8:27 AM, Karalora said:
On 4/17/2020 at 1:35 AM, Roebuck said:

but I guess the kids love city. :shrug_oh_well:

This is likely because the kids already have City and enjoy opportunities to add to it. It is not always to the CMFs' benefit that they offer such unique characters. Not everyone is a MOCer, and of those who are, not everyone can visualize a scene from scratch without being inspired by an official set or theme. CMFs that don't belong to an existing theme can be great, but some people might view them as "orphans" with nowhere to go.

I've said this before (and perhaps the last time not too long ago), but in regards to representing "City" archetypes, I think the Collectable Minifigure theme should opt for takes on those occupations that are set back just a few recent decades rather than making them straight-up contemporary. The City theme can always give you a more contemporary version, whereas CMFs of those same archetypes could have a slightly more vintage vibe about them for differentiation, all the while still being able to be slipped into a modern "City" setting without standing-out too much.

On 4/6/2020 at 6:48 AM, jonwil said:

There are some great figures in Series 20.

Pea costume, Space Fan, Musician with that awesome keytar, Drone flyer. ...

And Series 19 was good as well with characters like the dog sitter, jungle explorer, pizza costume and rugby player.

I agree on all of them. (almost) :grin:

On 4/6/2020 at 5:19 AM, jonwil said:

I hope they do a Marvel CMF that has characters we haven't seen yet (more X-Men for one thing, Fantastic Four) rather than just MCU and Spider-Man stuff.

I'm 100% with you on this.

On 4/5/2020 at 5:28 PM, leafan said:

Each to their own I guess; but I really like series 20 and I'm very disappointed that I'm probably not going to be able to build that army of Vikings and Knights.

Series 19 was the worst for me.

Why won't you be able to build an army of Vikings and Knights?  The very thought saddens me.
For me Series 18 was the worst.  This I judge by my lack of desire to purchase them, I might still not have completed the set.

On 4/5/2020 at 6:37 PM, BrickHat said:

Also, regarding "the last good regular series", to me it was S17, which I felt was the greatest series since S13. I think the theme has strayed off a bit from its original fun diversity, focusing too much on city.

As I was thinking I too think S17 was the most enjoyed of the last few regular series. Too much City is something I can agree although it's funny how I "label" an uninteresting minifig to me like S20 Drone Pilot as "City" but then other characters I like I wouldn't even consider City.

On 4/6/2020 at 2:29 AM, THELEGOBATMAN said:

My point is, we haven't got anything original in regular series for a few years. They are mostly repeats of previous CMF characters, and the new ones aren't really interesting. The only interesting minifigure I can think of in Series 20 was the red armour guy, only because he had that Power Rangers vibe to him. They either need to step up their game and give us something fresh, or end this and give us more licensed CMF.

I think I find your likes opposite mine.  The "Red Ranger" was possibly the least desirable character for me in this series along with the Drone Pilot.  I just don't think I'll incorporate it into any builds, other than put it in S20 collection build. Depending on which licensed CMF, my general feeling is I don't want more of them (unless it is increasing the number of series released for the year.)  While the Disney and Harry Potter series are "neat" it leaves me desiring a regular series for several months.  When two released series in a row are dissatisfying, it makes me pivot my interests and I (almost) forget about CMF's, because I'm no longer "on-the-hunt."

Edited by Rockstaremcee

6 hours ago, Rockstaremcee said:

I agree on all of them. (almost) :grin:

I'm 100% with you on this.

Why won't you be able to build an army of Vikings and Knights?  The very thought saddens me.
For me Series 18 was the worst.  This I judge by my lack of desire to purchase them, I might still not have completed the set.

As I was thinking I too think S17 was the most enjoyed of the last few regular series. Too much City is something I can agree although it's funny how I "label" an uninteresting minifig to me like S20 Drone Pilot as "City" but then other characters I like I wouldn't even consider City.

I think I find your likes opposite mine.  The "Red Ranger" was possibly the least desirable character for me in this series along with the Drone Pilot.  I just don't think I'll incorporate it into any builds, other than put it in S20 collection build. Depending on which licensed CMF, my general feeling is I don't want more of them (unless it is increasing the number of series released for the year.)  While the Disney and Harry Potter series are "neat" it leaves me desiring a regular series for several months.  When two released series in a row are dissatisfying, it makes me pivot my interests and I (almost) forget about CMF's, because I'm no longer "on-the-hunt."

Depends on what you expect from CMFs. If you want new and unique characters which are just great looking and interesting minifigures, recent regular series (most characters) just won't work for you. If you want generic army builders that will fill your city then it's definitely great.

10 hours ago, Rockstaremcee said:

Just due to the fact that we're on lockdown and I expect the next series to push this one out in a shorter time than normal.

I also can't shop around like I used to to find them sub-£3. I refuse to pay the new price of £3.50.

With regular series one has to be more open minded when it comes to rehashes. 

Nowdays kids werent alive when Series 1 came out or they were just babies. So, of course being LEGO a toy for kids, they have to think on them first. 

Some timeless archetypes like clowns, knights, cowboys, etc will return again and again 

For example, moaning myrtle's hairpiece has cheerleader writter all over it. So I wouldnt bat an eye if there is another cheerleader in Series 21, which would be new for nowdays kids. 

Look at the brading of the series. Currently the number of the series no longer appears on the box and I would be suprised if it dissapears all together soon. TLG didnt even acknowledged Series 20 for being a milestone on itself like Series 10. They only did a (lackluster) celebration of the decade but that could have been any series depending of the timing. It just happened to be Series 20

We -long time collectors-have to pick whatever is new for us or interests us for pieces or such, but that time of groundbreaking series is long gone Im afraid

7 hours ago, Robert8 said:

With regular series one has to be more open minded when it comes to rehashes. 

Nowdays kids werent alive when Series 1 came out or they were just babies. So, of course being LEGO a toy for kids, they have to think on them first. 

Some timeless archetypes like clowns, knights, cowboys, etc will return again and again 

For example, moaning myrtle's hairpiece has cheerleader writter all over it. So I wouldnt bat an eye if there is another cheerleader in Series 21, which would be new for nowdays kids. 

Look at the brading of the series. Currently the number of the series no longer appears on the box and I would be suprised if it dissapears all together soon. TLG didnt even acknowledged Series 20 for being a milestone on itself like Series 10. They only did a (lackluster) celebration of the decade but that could have been any series depending of the timing. It just happened to be Series 20

We -long time collectors-have to pick whatever is new for us or interests us for pieces or such, but that time of groundbreaking series is long gone Im afraid

Unfortunately this is a mentality I see way too much here, as if everyone should be collecting from the start of a theme and there's no other option. The way some people react you'd think a remake of a Star Wars vehicle that was last available five years ago or a Super Heroes character that's already been in a set like the majority of Batman's rogues gallery returning (with a new design no less) was the end of the world. I just find it to be a selfish way of thinking since as someone who emerged from a semi-dark age well into the life of both themes I've been able to take advantage of those. No reason to gate iconic vehicles or characters, or like you said timeless archetypes, behind time and resellers.

Huh, I figured it'd be cancelled this year with COVID-19 and all, but it looks like TLG will still be hosting LEGO Fan Media Days, though remotely of course...

The Brick Fan - The Brick Fan at RLFM Days 2020

The 2020 Recognized LEGO Fan Media Days is coming up at the end of the month and we here at The Brick Fan are lucky enough to be attending this event. Unfortunately due to the ongoing COVID-19 situation, flying to Denmark is out of the question so LEGO will be holding online sessions for it. This is a new thing and there were limited spots for who we can interview and yesterday we got our choices. The themes that we are able to interview are:

Minifigures (I assume this is for the Collectible Minifigures)
• Confidential New Product (Monkie Kid)
• Element Design
• LEGO Ideas

We’ll be asking the LEGO Designers from those themes and you guys also have an opportunity to ask questions as well. Keep in mind LEGO won’t answer any questions about future products. Leave your questions below or on any of our social media posts and we’ll pick out some of the best questions and send them along.

does anyone have information about the current CMF release? Stores in most European countries have opened again yet I cannt find the figures anywhere

We had that pizza suit guy piece for the melon suit girl, too. So I thought about what else can it be used for and came to the result that there could be a cheese (piece) suit minifig. What do you think?

2 hours ago, weeble1688 said:

Or used for a piece of apple/cherry/whatever fruit pie, maybe?

Oh my. I didn’t realise until now how much I *need* a cherry pie costume 

On 5/11/2020 at 7:31 AM, Kim-Kwang-Seok said:

does anyone have information about the current CMF release? Stores in most European countries have opened again yet I can't find the figures anywhere

Not sure how much it will relate to European stores and supply but the Lego store local to me (Minnesota, USA) just reopened, with very specific restrictions.  It was really disappointing because they have 0 new sets, current promos, or Series 20.  The store manager said that they don't think they'll see any soon and to go through Lego.com noting that the Mexico plant is still closed (per the national laws - considered non-essential.)  But from Lego.com "Product shortages: We expect more of our products will be on backorder for longer than usual in the US, Canada, and Latin America."  I don't know if that is just because of my selected region, when I try to look at it for other regions it takes me to the same page.

On 5/1/2020 at 6:45 PM, leafan said:

Just due to the fact that we're on lockdown and I expect the next series to push this one out in a shorter time than normal.

I also can't shop around like I used to to find them sub-£3. I refuse to pay the new price of £3.50.

I think because of the lockdown, and the lesser availability of things I have been able to justify splurging.   I have 9 vikings and 11 knights from my relentless buying/selling/trading. That's good enough for me... (for now :knight:)

9 hours ago, Robert8 said:

Do we know how the DC series performed on sales?

I heard the DC Comics CMF sold very well, but I'm not 100% sure.