r4-g9

LEGO Collectable Minifigures Future Series Rumours

3 hours ago, Robert8 said:

I would like to know if Series 19 will come out next year :grin:

You can bet it will since LEGO announced that they will release one regular series every year.

4 hours ago, Pop Star c o said:

You can bet it will since LEGO announced that they will release one regular series every year.

Where and when did they announce that?! :distressed:

7 hours ago, Robert8 said:

I would like to know if Series 19 will come out next year :grin:

I did submit a question pertaining to that aspect. :wink:

What decisions are made in deciding how many licensed and non-licensed Collectable Minifigure Series are done each year? Can we assuredly see at least one non-licensed Minifigure Series per year from here on?

15 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

You can also share your questions at this blog too! :classic:

New Elementary - Fan Media Days Are Approaching! 

The problem is they will only really answer questions like "where do you get your inspiration from?" rather than "how many licensed / regular CMF series will you make next year".

8 hours ago, Pop Star c o said:

I don't think they did, Lego doesn't announce anything like that, they get on with it.

4 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Where and when did they announce that?! :distressed:

I remember that some time ago one LEGO employee said that.

30 minutes ago, Pop Star c o said:

As an official announcement or an off the cuff remark?

I think standard procedure is that LEGO will do what is right for them at the time. Would they ever go a year without a regular CMF series? Sure, if it suits them. I expect them to keep doing one regular CMF per year until they don't want to, at which point they will change. I highly doubt they have a policy on how many they will issue per year.

13 hours ago, MAB said:

The problem is they will only really answer questions like "where do you get your inspiration from?" rather than "how many licensed / regular CMF series will you make next year".

Well, I didn't ask that particular question quite as blunt as that. :wink:

10 hours ago, Pop Star c o said:

Was it for an interview/questionnaire? How long ago would you estimate this was?

Even if asked subtly, I cannot see them giving out product information. It is like the answers you get from customer service. "Thanks for your great idea about XXXXX. We'd love that too. You must be a real fan of LEGO to come up with ideas like that."

I think the new reality of one ‘normal’ CMF set per year kinda makes sense now that the series numbers are synched with the year: series 17 in 2017, series 18 in 2018, series 19 in 2019 etc. 

26 minutes ago, williejm said:

I think the new reality of one ‘normal’ CMF set per year kinda makes sense now that the series numbers are synched with the year: series 17 in 2017, series 18 in 2018, series 19 in 2019 etc. 

That's kinda how I feel they're planning out the future of that line too.

2 hours ago, MAB said:

Even if asked subtly, I cannot see them giving out product information. It is like the answers you get from customer service.

Perhaps, but I suppose it's up to the interviewer to rephrase those questions if he decides to ask them in some form or another. Speaking of such, here are all four questions I did submit pertaining to the Collectable Minifigure line, with the fourth one probably indeed being a bit more blunt:

• What's your favorite Collectable Minifigure and/or Collectable Minifigure Series so far? What archetype do you hope to see or personally design for a future Series?
  • Were there any alternate ideas on how Series 18 was going to be done to celebrate the minifigure's fortieth anniversary? Why was the "costume party" theme chosen?
  • What decisions are made in deciding how many licensed and non-licensed Collectable Minifigure Series are done each year? Can we assuredly see at least one non-licensed Minifigure Series per year from here on?
  • Will future themed series like Series 14 and Series 18 always be reserved for seasonal or commemorative occasions only? Have genre themed series ever been considered before, such as Sci-Fi, Fantasy, or Historical themed series?

Yeah, it would be interesting to see if how they answer those. My guesses at whether they would answer ...

1. is commenting on past (so presumably OK) or "I'd like to see a ..." which would probably just be something in their own interests and not a company statement.

2. again probably fine (and the answer is probably "We had lots of cool ideas but went with the party theme because it is a lot of fun"), although they probably wouldn't mention what they chose not to do.

3. I doubt they would answer in a meaningful way, aside from a generic statement like "We decide what sets to produce based on and to fit in with our current portfolio.".

4. I doubt they would answer categorically yes or no. The second part they could say "yes, but we normally aim for a mixture of characters to please all our fans". It is also not clear to me that S14 was aimed at being seasonal. In the UK it was out in the first week in August, so about three months before Halloween.

10 hours ago, MAB said:

4. I doubt they would answer categorically yes or no. The second part they could say "yes, but we normally aim for a mixture of characters to please all our fans". It is also not clear to me that S14 was aimed at being seasonal. In the UK it was out in the first week in August, so about three months before Halloween.

I think it’s dependant on your local toy retailer. The shop I used to go to, used to place them out a couple of days before the official release date.

13 hours ago, J4ck said:

I think it’s dependant on your local toy retailer. The shop I used to go to, used to place them out a couple of days before the official release date.

Sure, some release a little early, but I don't think any retailers near me held them back for Halloween though (to make them seasonal). Some still had them on the shelves by the time Halloween came round, but they didn't hold them back on purpose.

On 5/30/2018 at 1:11 PM, MAB said:

Sure, some release a little early, but I don't think any retailers near me held them back for Halloween though (to make them seasonal). Some still had them on the shelves by the time Halloween came round, but they didn't hold them back on purpose.

I’m sure it was September release as well.

The future seems nuts, for the upcoming NEW CMF series.

The Unikitty, series 1, how many will there be?

Just got 2 unopened boxes of these and a few random bags of these babies.

You are NOT going to be feeling these to identify the character inside, nor weight it, nor are there bump codes or anything on the bags.

I'm guessing the CMF line will be post-apocalyptic versions of already released CMFs like the S11 Welder and Larry the Barista!

On 01/06/2018 at 4:03 PM, J4ck said:

I’m sure it was September release as well.

It was definitely early August in the UK. They were out three months before halloween here.

1 hour ago, Dervish said:

The future seems nuts, for the upcoming NEW CMF series.

The Unikitty, series 1, how many will there be?

Unikitty is not a CMF series, and has been released alongside the existing CMF series, so I doubt it will have any impact on CMFs.

They will probably do as many series of the Unikitties as they can sell.

One of the CMFs slated for 2019 was thought to be for the Billion Brick Race movie, but there was a loss of director some time ago. Is there any word about whether production is still ongoing for this movie? Could it still meet its schedule? Given the length of time digital animation movies take to produce, the loss of a director at this late in production might not have been as catastrophic as has been believed.

29 minutes ago, gedren_y said:

One of the CMFs slated for 2019 was thought to be for the Billion Brick Race movie, but there was a loss of director some time ago. Is there any word about whether production is still ongoing for this movie? Could it still meet its schedule? Given the length of time digital animation movies take to produce, the loss of a director at this late in production might not have been as catastrophic as has been believed.

At this point in the game, mostly everyone is presuming that it's only a matter of time until Warner Brothers announces the rescheduling of that instalment's release date. Even if WB announced they had found the movie a new director this very week, I'm pretty sure they'd still reschedule it past its May 2019 release date. 

Speaking of such, someone here on Eurobricks did say they heard from someone else about this film definitely being rescheduled for some date in 2020:

i hope they do an overwatch minifig series, since they ARE coming out with the sets...

a star wars one would be great too, as well as bringing back some old minifigures in new designs. (lotr, hobbit, chima?)

25 minutes ago, meepinater said:

i hope they do an overwatch minifig series, since they ARE coming out with the sets...

a star wars one would be great too, as well as bringing back some old minifigures in new designs. (lotr, hobbit, chima?)

Star Wars will never happen, the same with Marvel, because of Hasbro's exclusive figure deal. That's why all Lego magnets that are to feature figs are glued. Hasbro filed suit over early Star Wars fig magnets that weren't glued. This was before Lego got the Marvel license, but they are under the same exclusivity conditions.

24 minutes ago, meepinater said:

Well, I think it's just too crowded with all preexisting CMS lines that we already have to squeeze yet another franchise into the Collectable Minifigure mix. Now, if Lego could manage to release four series a year, I suppose that would probably be a lot more accommodating, without needing to sacrifice any preexisting lines for any particular year.

2 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Well, I think it's just too crowded with all preexisting CMS lines that we already have to squeeze yet another franchise into the Collectable Minifigure mix. Now, if Lego could manage to release four series a year, I suppose that would probably be a lot more accommodating, without needing to sacrifice any preexisting lines for any particular year.

yeah, that makes sense. 

2 hours ago, gedren_y said:

Star Wars will never happen, the same with Marvel, because of Hasbro's exclusive figure deal. That's why all Lego magnets that are to feature figs are glued. Hasbro filed suit over early Star Wars fig magnets that weren't glued. This was before Lego got the Marvel license, but they are under the same exclusivity conditions.

huh. i never knew that! so they are only allowed to make the minifigs for sets? wow. 

I almost forgot about Billion Brick Race, but even if this project is ongoing, I doubt it'd be in the same year with TLM2 for promoting reasons (just if we're not getting the BBR tralier in the following months, then that ensures the postponement). It'd be rather wise to postpone to 2020 so that it won't conflict with TLM2 set sales in 2019.

No Marvel or SW CMF series is neutral to me. LEGO is pretty much used to just make sets with exclusive characters from these two franchises, unless we can find good choices of unused characters or unused special outfit prints that cannot fit in any regular set. And yes, I also just want to say that don't try to crowd CMF series with all the licenses LEGO has.
I still wonder if Disney series or Pixar series will continue, tho.

Overwatch is a neutral choice as it provide good character diversity and LEGO approves its capability of market appealing.

So let's make a further guess, 2018 is unlikely giving any more news, then how about 2019? One regular series, one TLM2 series, if there's only one more do you wish it to be a special series or a licensed series?

Edited by Dorayaki

27 minutes ago, Dorayaki said:

how about 2019? One regular series, one TLM2 series, if there's only one more do you wish it to be a special series or a licensed series?

No I do not.

Another regular series would appeal to me the most.