r4-g9

LEGO Collectable Minifigures Future Series Rumours

1 hour ago, BrickHat said:

Hehe, so 10 years from now? He's also from 1978. :tongue:

Exactly! It'll be the 50th anniversary and they can do a limited random distribution of 500 total so its worse than Mr Gold. :grin:

To make it even more interesting make the anniversary one all-gold along with red, blue, white, yellow and black classic space figures containing identical pieces so no one knows until they open them. Brilliant marketing.

1 hour ago, koalayummies said:

Exactly! It'll be the 50th anniversary and they can do a limited random distribution of 500 total so its worse than Mr Gold. :grin:

To make it even more interesting make the anniversary one all-gold along with red, blue, white, yellow and black classic space figures containing identical pieces so no one knows until they open them. Brilliant marketing.

:ugh:

1 hour ago, koalayummies said:

You must be an evil, evil corporate man!

23 minutes ago, x105Black said:

:ugh:

13 minutes ago, BrickHat said:

You must be an evil, evil corporate man!

Hahahaha! I'm just following this profoundly immoral method to sell toys to kids that is known as 'blind bags' to its inevitable conclusion of maximum wickedness!

On 7.04.2018 at 7:08 PM, koalayummies said:

Agreed. And Lego should really think hard about this as they continue to branch out to new Asian markets.

Little Hindi/Islamic/Taoist/Jewish/Buddhist etc. girl to father: "Daddy, how come there are no Legos (sic) of our holidays?"

So Christmas, Easter or Chinese New Year Seasonals are OK, but minifigures not?

I think a minifigure or small set now and then focusing on the secular aspects of holidays around the world are not an issue.  An entire themed minifigure series focused on a religious holiday is a bit much in my opinion.

Well, nobody's expecting Christ in Christmas minifigures... Santa is rather from Coca-Cola adverts than from religion. Gingerbread, Nutcrackers etc. - from fairy tales. It's hard to find something religious in nowadays Christmas toys...

The whole religious avoidance is totally hypocritical. The very design concept of the Lego advent calendars is about Christ. Not the builds themselves, but the whole one build per day leading up to Christmas intent to the design. I understand most don't bother with that, but for some an advent calendar is a religious ritual. The fact that Lego produces a number of sets catering to that (admittedly benign) ritual is the hypocrisy.

In any event, I don't think Series 19 will have a major theme itself. TLM2 series will likely have plenty for those that prefer the regular series. If the other CMF next year is Billion Brick Race, then that too could cater to some of that crowd. For those who are after historical/fantasy figs, do not despair. I have found that some torso prints from previous racing themes work well as armor/gambeson/tunic designs, so there may be some usable gems.

3 hours ago, x105Black said:

I think a minifigure or small set now and then focusing on the secular aspects of holidays around the world are not an issue.  An entire themed minifigure series focused on a religious holiday is a bit much in my opinion.

I'd say the same thing about a Football series... But TBH I don't accept the premise that it'd be/ need to be religiously relevant

32 minutes ago, gedren_y said:

In any event, I don't think Series 19 will have a major theme itself. TLM2 series will likely have plenty for those that prefer the regular series. If the other CMF next year is Billion Brick Race, then that too could cater to some of that crowd. 

I certainly hope that it will play out that way.

43 minutes ago, gedren_y said:

The whole religious avoidance is totally hypocritical. The very design concept of the Lego advent calendars is about Christ. Not the builds themselves, but the whole one build per day leading up to Christmas intent to the design. I understand most don't bother with that, but for some an advent calendar is a religious ritual. The fact that Lego produces a number of sets catering to that (admittedly benign) ritual is the hypocrisy.

The advent calendar (LEGO or otherwise) may be rooted in religious tradition, but it can take a totally secular expression, and of course that's how LEGO rolls with it. Lots of holidays that get LEGO treatment in official sets have both religious components (frequently but not always Christian) and secular ones, and naturally LEGO will avoid overtly religious elements, but embrace all sorts of secular traditions. I don't see anything hypocritical about that.

Re: future Minifigures series, I think we can safely assume each new movie in the "LCU" will have at least one corresponding Minifigures series, released in whichever of the three release slots most closely coincides with the movie's release date. The big question for me about The Billion Brick Race is when (or perhaps even if) the movie will come out; whenever it does, I think we'll get a series for it. I kind of expect The LEGO Batman Movie to be the only one that gets a second series, though, unless the series for The LEGO Movie Sequel does really well.

I also think that now that they've caught up the Series numbers of the main line to the last two digits of the year (S16 in 2016, S17 in 2017, and S18 in 2018), they'll keep doing it that way - one numbered series in the "main" line plus two separate themed series (whether LCU, Harry Potter, Disney, whatever) for global distribution each year until at least 2020, so that they can celebrate both the twentieth ("main") series and the tenth anniversary simultaneously. How they'll do it, I don't know - another costume party (like the current S18), another rare "chase" figure (like either S10's Mr. Gold or S18's Classic Policeman), another series of more than 16 figures (like S10, S18, Disney, TLBM S1, TLNM, and TLBM S2), some combination thereof, and/or something else, I don't know, but I expect something. After S20 in 2020, I wouldn't necessarily expect them to stick to that; they might go back to having multiple series in the main line each year, or alternately go even longer between them (having an entire year or more with nothing but themed series outside the main line). But I don't expect numbered mainline series to go away completely indefinitely, and I do expect one per year until S20 in 2020.

Other predictions? I think we'll see the brick suits again - probably yellow and/or green in future Minifigures series, and possibly those, red and/or blue, and/or other colors in promo offerings like the Iconic X series. I also expect to see the new ballon elements turn up again, possibly in regular boxed retail sets.

And having said all that, I now want to acknowledge I've been wrong in my LEGO predictions numerous times. :blush:  But for now, those things are what I think will happen.

34 minutes ago, Blondie-Wan said:

And having said all that, I now want to acknowledge I've been wrong in my LEGO predictions numerous times. :blush:  But for now, those things are what I think will happen.

I don't think you're too far off the mark, to be honest.

7 hours ago, parsom said:

So Christmas, Easter or Chinese New Year Seasonals are OK, but minifigures not?

That isn't what was said, but I think you know that. The hypothetical girl asked about all Legos (sic), nothing restricting the theme to just minifigures.

2 hours ago, parsom said:

Well, nobody's expecting Christ in Christmas minifigures... Santa is rather from Coca-Cola adverts than from religion. Gingerbread, Nutcrackers etc. - from fairy tales. It's hard to find something religious in nowadays Christmas toys...

To say those things aren't representative of that specific religion's holiday (the old 'its originally pagan' argument) is to ignore their modern usage. It would be like saying swastikas aren't representative of nazis because they're originally from the Asian continent. It is ignoring how those things have been used and are still in use in recent history and their perception among all people. How are those things; Santa, mistletoe, decorated pine trees, used today? To represent Christmas and nothing else. Just ask the little Hindi/Islamist/Taoist/Jewish/Buddhist girl what they see Santa, gingerbread people/houses and nutcrackers as representing and whether they see any representations of their holidays present.

Plainly said Lego should be careful with the holiday double-standard as they continue to grow in specific markets. Or more simply; I agree with @gedren_y.

Edited by koalayummies

I think that it is not the place for such discussion, but I have nothing against Lego making Hindi/Islamist/Taoist/Jewish/Buddhist etc. sets. Avoiding religious themes is simply stupid - religion is part of life, such as firefighters are, policeman are, etc. I understand that there can be some problems with blasphemy accusations, so I don't ask about Jesus or Mahomet figures, but other, not strictly religious things - why not?

2 hours ago, Blondie-Wan said:

The big question for me about The Billion Brick Race is when (or perhaps even if) the movie will come out; whenever it does, I think we'll get a series for it. 

I'm pretty sure that the most that could happen to the film would be a release date change from May 2019 to at least early 2020. Given all the tie-in sets possibly being developed by designers right now, I'd doubt WB will completely scrap the movie.

2 hours ago, Blondie-Wan said:

How they'll do it, I don't know - another costume party (like the current S18), another rare "chase" figure (like either S10's Mr. Gold or S18's Classic Policeman), another series of more than 16 figures (like S10, S18, Disney, TLBM S1, TLNM, and TLBM S2), some combination thereof, and/or something else, I don't know, but I expect something.

I think it'd be too soon to make Series 20 a Costume Party 2.0, so perhaps the most we may expect will just be an extra chase figure like Mr. Gold. Also, S20 will instead be celebrating the Collectable Minifigure line's tenth anniversary, as opposed to the anniversary of the minifigure itself, so I'd expect something more pertaining to the line specifically instead.

2 hours ago, x105Black said:

I don't think you're too far off the mark, to be honest.

Ditto.

2 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

I'm pretty sure that the most that could happen to the film would be a release date change from May 2019 to at least early 2020. Given all the tie-in sets possibly being developed by designers right now, I'd doubt WB will completely scrap the movie.

Yes they will be currently in the design process. They won't pull the movie forwards but they will probably push it back like with Ninjago to make way for TLM2.

2 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

I think it'd be too soon to make Series 20 a Costume Party 2.0, so perhaps the most we may expect will just be an extra chase figure like Mr. Gold. Also, S20 will instead be celebrating the Collectable Minifigure line's tenth anniversary, as opposed to the anniversary of the minifigure itself, so I'd expect something more pertaining to the line specifically instead.

I think he meant that, it will be tenth anniversary of the the Minifigures line and the twentieth series all in one.

LEGO bends its own rules about religion when it comes to licensed themes, like the voodoo minifigure in Pirates of the Caribbean or the Weeping Angel in Doctor Who, but for a normal unlicensed series.... I don't think so

Ok so about the whole Christmas series. Lego likes to release a full cmf series at 3 times during the year January, April, and August so I don’t see where a full Christmas themed cmf would work. On the whole future cmf series, billion brick race is almost 13 months out from being released and as far as the public knows it still doesn’t have a director, so unless there is a plan we don’t know about, I don’t see how the movie can stay at it’s current release date. If the movie is moved and with legos pattern of 2 outside cmf series and 1 regular per year, 2019 will probably look like this

January 2019: Lego movie 2 cmf

May 2019: Lego cmf series 19 

August 2019: licenced series (maybe Harry Potter series 2 or Disney series 2)

1 hour ago, Falconfan1414 said:

On the whole future cmf series, billion brick race is almost 13 months out from being released and as far as the public knows it still doesn’t have a director, so unless there is a plan we don’t know about, I don’t see how the movie can stay at it’s current release date.

Wait - wasn't it originally supposed to be in November of next year? I was under that impression, and if that's the case, the movie is more like 19 months away, at least (that's assuming it's not pushed back farther). Or am I in error? It certainly wouldn't be the first time...

12 minutes ago, Blondie-Wan said:

Wait - wasn't it originally supposed to be in November of next year? I was under that impression, and if that's the case, the movie is more like 19 months away, at least (that's assuming it's not pushed back farther). Or am I in error? It certainly wouldn't be the first time...

No the current realease date is may 24th 2019

8 hours ago, Falconfan1414 said:

Ok so about the whole Christmas series. Lego likes to release a full cmf series at 3 times during the year January, April, and August so I don’t see where a full Christmas themed cmf would work. On the whole future cmf series, billion brick race is almost 13 months out from being released and as far as the public knows it still doesn’t have a director, so unless there is a plan we don’t know about, I don’t see how the movie can stay at it’s current release date. If the movie is moved and with legos pattern of 2 outside cmf series and 1 regular per year, 2019 will probably look like this

January 2019: Lego movie 2 cmf

May 2019: Lego cmf series 19 

August 2019: licenced series (maybe Harry Potter series 2 or Disney series 2)

Actually it's January, May and September (4 months inbetween each other). This year Harry Potter was given another month because I'm assuming it's going to explode; I read somewhere it was the most requested series. That would mean series 18 would have been decreased in time on shelves but because of what it was celebrating, Lego decreased TLBM Series 2, considering what everyone is saying about the theme of TLBM I would say Lego knows people don't want anymore (not me though!). So that's 3 months, 4 months and 5 months opposed to the usual 4 months, 4 months and 4 months.

10 hours ago, Robert8 said:

LEGO bends its own rules about religion when it comes to licensed themes, like the voodoo minifigure in Pirates of the Caribbean or the Weeping Angel in Doctor Who, but for a normal unlicensed series.... I don't think so

Then there is the really big issue - would Jesus be a licensed minifigure or not? I want a fleshie Jesus not a yellow skinned one.

1 minute ago, MAB said:

Then there is the really big issue - would Jesus be a licensed minifigure or not? I want a fleshie Jesus not a yellow skinned one.

No, because he is a historical character, like Shakespeare or Lincoln

46 minutes ago, Robert8 said:

No, because he is a historical character, like Shakespeare or Lincoln

Is he, though?