r4-g9

LEGO Collectable Minifigures Future Series Rumours

3 hours ago, lifeinplastic said:

I hope there isn't a second Batman wave. The first lot are a waste of plastic. Bring back regular series, at least there is something for everyone!

I agree! The only thing I want from the Batman wave is the lobster :sceptic: From a normal wave I get 8-12 different figs and many of the ones with a new animal mould :grin:

@lifeinplastic I completely disagree with your opinion. Just because you are not a fan of the Batman cmf doesn't make it a waste of plastic. Judging by how hard they are to find I would guess that your opinion is in the minority. I hope they continue with licesned cmf series perhaps one each yeah. That way there is more variety in the line and people who wouldn't normally collect cmfs might be interested and further promote the cmf line.

1 hour ago, fordtruckin said:

@lifeinplastic I completely disagree with your opinion. Just because you are not a fan of the Batman cmf doesn't make it a waste of plastic. Judging by how hard they are to find I would guess that your opinion is in the minority. I hope they continue with licesned cmf series perhaps one each yeah. That way there is more variety in the line and people who wouldn't normally collect cmfs might be interested and further promote the cmf line.

You are of course welcome to disagree with my opinion that these are a waste of plastic but I still stand by that statement, as I feel there are very few parts that aren't overly specific to the theme and I have very little use for such parts. Therefore for me, they are replacing what could have been a far more useful source of accessories and parts had a regular line been released instead. I know the fanboys will like them but regular series are far more inclusive as there is always something to offer for all Lego enthusiasts. There are plenty of Batman figs clogging up the shelves near me and judging by The Simpsons and Disney lines, it didn't seem that licensed figures are more popular at all - I actually find it more difficult getting regular series. I guess neither of us know the sales figures though. However, I'd be surprised that even those that like the theme would claim there to be more variety than the regular series offer. I would think most Lego fans take an interest in the regular series and find it difficult to believe they don't like any of the various themes included.

Edited by lifeinplastic

While I won't go so far as to call the Batman CMF a waste of plastic, I will say I would have much preferred a more generalized DC Universe CMF line over what we got. That being said, I think there are lots of parts that I could end up using down the road. But I will agree with Lifeinplastic, in this - I much prefer the regular CMF lines to the licensed ones. If we get one licensed set a year and two "regular" CMF sets a year, that would be a compromise I'd happily take.

I guess it depends on how creative you want to be with your minifigures and accessories. Aside from the Batcowls and corresponding heads I don't see anything that couldn't be used in a city setting. Most could be costumes. Batsymbol clothing could be fan clothes like the superman shirt in The Goonies or the many superhero shirts worn in the Big Bang Theory or other popculture references. Eraser's head could be used for a robot. What parts are useless to you @lifeinplastic?

Edited by fordtruckin

15 hours ago, lifeinplastic said:

I hope there isn't a second Batman wave. The first lot are a waste of plastic. Bring back regular series, at least there is something for everyone!

And I hope there IS one! The first wave was a delight! But my opinion might change once we come up on Ninjago. By that time, I may be feeling the same way, craving some good, old-fashioned CMF goodness. Yay for opinions.

EDIT: I didn't notice there was another page of discussion before I posted. Oops! For myself, I definitely enjoy the regular CMF line, but I also enjoy some of the licensed/themed series. And for CMFs, I only get the ones that interest me. I'm not a completist. But so far, out of ALL the CMF series that have been released, the closest I've come to getting a complete set is with the Disney and Batman CMFs. I like those themes, therefore I end up liking a larger percentage of the series. I guess we're all just here for different reasons.

Edited by rob-ot5000

12 hours ago, lifeinplastic said:

There are plenty of Batman figs clogging up the shelves near me and judging by The Simpsons and Disney lines, it didn't seem that licensed figures are more popular at all ...

Interesting, I see loads of Disney and Batman CMFs here as well, sitting on their shelves ... crying out loudly for someone to buy them. Series 15 and 16 are long gone...

I don't understand the hate for licensed CMFs either. Looking at Batman series in terms if useful parts - new lobster, two new hairpieces, new dual moulded legs, a Christmas jumper, silver crab, fairy wings, two new skirts, the orca costume (and that head), Egyptian headdress & staff, capes galore and some great new flesh coloured heads. 

Simpsons, Disney and superheroes clearly appeal to different Lego and non Lego audiences. It's all good in my view. 

I think they wouldn't do 3 licensed series after each other. With Ninjago in september, probably 18 in January and then Batman 2 in May IF they do a second series.

Ninjago a licensed series?

Not sure about that

------

I would expect a regular series in January

I grew up with the most plain Minifigures and as I started to get out of Lego (dark ages) they started getting a little more creative. The Minifigures today blow away any thing from the 80's and 90's so no matter the series I can always find something interesting (Even Simpsons series 2). The whole waste of plastic comment is fine, its just someones opinion. They don't have to buy them. It's a long wait when you skip a series though.

I also think the licensed themes are great because it changes things up. Even with the supposed Ninjago series coming out, I am not a fan but I'm sure their will be a handful that I will collect. If they strictly released the standard CMF line 3-4 times per year it would become very difficult to keep coming up with characters that are interesting. The licensed themes give the team a chance to be a little more creative.

10 hours ago, Pop Star c o said:

So, then it can be:

Jan - TLBM 2
May - Series 18
Aug - Disney 2

Disney 2 must be in August, because summer is the best selling time for Disney things!

Has the calendar changed? It's always been Jan May Sept, not Aug. I always thought the summer series is the May one. The September one is the new schooled year one, the one we have for Halloween and Christmas just before the new of January.

6 hours ago, Robert8 said:

Ninjago Movie CMFs will be released on August 1st

Thank you, I didn't know. I guess it's to coincide with the movie. That means 5 months between 2 series, we don't often see this, It's gonna to be long. That also means 3 months between series 17 and series Ninjago instead of 4 months, it's short, it's the first time I see this since I started to follow CMF in 2013.

Collectibles (Ages 5+)
Fans of all ages will be able to collect 52 never-before-seen LEGO® Minifigures™ from three new series launches, including a series focused solely on the characters from The LEGO® Batman Movie. Each blind bag includes one figure each for $3.99.

This is from the NY Toy Fair press release

Is it a mistake?

Because 20+16+20=56 CMFs this year

Or maybe Ninjago Movie series has actually 16 minifigures?

Well how many ninjas are there :tongue:

The only reason batman got 20 is because they made 5 batman figs, remove 4 and we are back to 16 :grin: That is the only series I can remember that has more than one variety of a figure and I hope and guess they wouldn't make that a trend :sceptic:

A little bird came to my window last week and told me that the series for January 2018 (after the Ninjago one) won't be a regular series :sadnew:

So, it seems we will have to wait at least a year for Series 18, if it ever happens :sadnew:

Doubt it about TLBM 2... Most villains are already taken by sets and Series 1. Ok, Clockking, Crazy Quilt, Egghead would be nice, but then? It kind of has the problem with Simpsons Two, with the most important characters already taken and filled up with characters noone really cares.

Disney 2 on the other hand, has quite some possibilities of classics so far missing. The Beauty and the Beast for example? Pocahontas? Mulan?